Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO tripped a sensor in my battery leaving the contactors open (disabled car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

P85_DA

Supporting Member
Apr 25, 2015
CA
Had my first flat bad experience this weekend , Good things : Tesla roadside assistance was excellent, had my car towed, uber and enterprise rental arranged all within 1hr. Bad things: I started to charge at a Nissan chademo and had to be towed amongst a bunch of Leafs, the Nissan guys got a laugh out of that; my battery is a B pack somewhat new as was replaced at around 20k miles. What happened is I plugged my car into the chademo it immed started to charge than for the red ring plus the 4 msgs below. My service advisor said something on the chademo tripped a sensor in my battery leaving the contractors open ...long story short is I have a loaner pack and waiting for my pack to get discharged and have new contactors installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,195
Well that sucks. The question is if the CHdeMO was actually the cause. It may just be faulty contactors or the DC-bypass.
Maybe coincidence on the Nissan charger I had previously charged on other chademos no issue.
my contactors are fairly new as they were replaced 8k miles ago.
To the prev poster bricked may not be correct term but I definitely wasn't able to move under own power with those 4 messages came up :) whatever happened I will post up when I pick up tomorrow

No CHAdeMO or Supercharger "caused" the main contactors in the vehicle to fail. The fact that this owner already had this failure previously leads me to believe that there is some issue.

There are actually two sets of contactors / relays in use to provide DC charging (that means either CHAdeMO or Supercharger). One set opens and closes the connection to the main traction battery, and the other set directs the DC power from the away from the onboard AC charger to the battery.

Since the car wasn't able to operate the main battery contactors (and not operate the car), I really don't see a direct correlation. DC charging at 125 amps continuous is a very light load for the main contactors. The car physically powers and controls those contactors; not the DC charger.

Sounds like faulty contactors to me. If replacing them clears it all up then that's confirmation. If it was a faulty sensor within the pack then replacing the contactors will do nothing.
I was provided a loaner pack while they repair my battery...they did replace all my battery coolant pumps and significant noise reduction when charging on hot days ..they did say they are replacing contractors

Bricked isn't the correct word here. Bricked means the car will never move on its own power again.

I think bricked is fine to mean anything that leaves the battery pack in an unusable / unchargable state.

If the user can't drive the car it might be bricked but you have to check for other fixes.*

If the user can't charge the battery pack it might be bricked but you have to check for other fixes.*

If after all user available fixes have been tried and both of those are true I'd call it bricked.*

* Other fixes keeps people from calling it bricked because it had a flat tire or the 12v battery died.

Short of this user getting the car to a service center that car wasn't going to move on it's own power again and purely due to a battery pack issue.

I think bricked is fine to mean anything that leaves the battery pack in an unusable / unchargable state.

If the user can't drive the car it might be bricked but you have to check for other fixes.*

If the user can't charge the battery pack it might be bricked but you have to check for other fixes.*

If after all user available fixes have been tried and both of those are true I'd call it bricked.*

* Other fixes keeps people from calling it bricked because it had a flat tire or the 12v battery died.

Short of this user getting the car to a service center that car wasn't going to move on it's own power again and purely due to a battery pack issue.
Maybe you can say "temporarily bricked", but technically the term "bricked" refers to a pack that is permanently disabled (as has happened to a couple of Roadsters). And there is no simple fix for it (as it means cells have been discharged past the minimal charge level and are permanently damaged). Tesla had made a big deal over how they put in safeguards in the Model S that makes it so it is unbrickable:
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/plug-it

So using "bricked" is misleading in that regard.

Maybe you can say "temporarily bricked", but technically the term "bricked" refers to a pack that is permanently disabled (as has happened to a couple of Roadsters). And there is no simple fix for it (as it means cells have been discharged past the minimal charge level and are permanently damaged). Tesla had made a big deal over how they put in safeguards in the Model S that makes it so it is unbrickable:
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/plug-it

So using "bricked" is misleading in that regard.

So bricked = irreversible chemical damage to the pack, replace the entire pack.

but there are levels of crap I don't want my battery pack in that state that are so close:

pack is in such bad shape the local service center can't fix it and has to send it to Fremont to be refurbished = nameyourterm?

pack is in such bad shape the local service center will have to take it out of the car to fix it = nameyourterm?

If we say those aren't bricked but I still can't fix them and no non Tesla entity can either then I'm not sure what you want to call that other than making me type a hellishly long sentence to carefully qualify how bad off it is.

Maybe we could detail all the failure modes and situations and dip into the waffle house hash brown terminology list?

Scattered
Smotherd
Covered
Chunked
Diced
Chopped

If there isn't a straight forward nickname that everyone can approve of :)

Last edited:
My intent of the original post was to share an experience with a chademo charger ..I had previously charged at chademos and the day before charged at an SC..whatever term you want to call it I was stuck and my car was unusable without a loaner pack being put in. My battery is being worked on and not sure exactly what will be done as they mentioned several weeks. Overall I'm happy with the roadside service and service center as I have 32k miles and never needed a flatbed. I'm also hungry now as the Waffle House analogy brought back some memories of working in the south :)

So bricked = irreversible chemical damage to the pack, replace the entire pack.

but there are levels of crap I don't want my battery pack in that state that are so close:

pack is in such bad shape the local service center can't fix it and has to send it to Fremont to be refurbished = nameyourterm?

pack is in such bad shape the local service center will have to take it out of the car to fix it = nameyourterm?

If we say those aren't bricked but I still can't fix them and no non Tesla entity can either then I'm not sure what you want to call that other than making me type a hellishly long sentence to carefully qualify how bad off it is.
I already suggested one: "temporarily bricked". That clarifies it is a temporary (fixable) state as opposed to permanent pack failure.