Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 minute software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RMan

Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2015
Central Oregon
We have owned our 85D for about 6 weeks. I just received a notice on my smart phone that a software update was available for our model s. The 17 inch screen indicated a software update was scheduled to begin at 11:15 PM and would take an hour and a half. I was provided the option to start the update at the assigned time, switch to different time, or to start now. Since we will not be using the car in the next couple of hours I chose start now. 90 minutes seems like a long update. Is this normal or could this be the awaited auto pilot additions?

We have owned our 85D for about 6 weeks. I just received a notice on my smart phone that a software update was available for our model s. The 17 inch screen indicated a software update was scheduled to begin at 11:15 PM and would take an hour and a half. I was provided the option to start the update at the assigned time, switch to different time, or to start now. Since we will not be using the car in the next couple of hours I chose start now. 90 minutes seems like a long update. Is this normal or could this be the awaited auto pilot additions?

It's a normal message. I have found that most of the time, the car tends to take far less time to install than the notes that accompany it. But don't bank on that, lest you be stuck. :)

(I received notice on Dec 31 that I had a new update available. I shrugged it off and told it to install at 2 am, the normal time my car installs software. Guess what time we all decided to close the party and go home? My wife and I extended the party by 20 minutes as a result.)