Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surpercharging difficulty for my new 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 70D on 6/24 and have been enjoying it so far. However, one particular problem is having me concerned: It seems that it has "developed" a hatred for supercharging. :mad:
After getting my car, I have taken it from LA down to San Diego and back, and also to Carbazon over the last weekend. The first supercharge at San Diego went smoothly without a problem. On the return trip next day, though, it would not charge at San Juan Capistrano, despite changing stalls 3 times. After a call to service and rebooted both screens, it still didn't bulge. Out of frustration, I went to lunch. Upon coming back, I rebooted screens again and it took it this time. And I was happily on my way.
Later that night, I got a call back from service and they told me that there was nothing wrong from the logs. And they thought it was a supercharging station problem. I didn't buy that since there had been several other Model Ss charged in that timespan without a problem but I let it go.
Fast forward to last weekend, we (me and my wife) did a quick tour of Carbazon outlet. This time, despite more reboots, changing stalls and leave it "cool down" for an hour then try again, it simply doesn't take it.
So I called Tesla service again yesterday and ask them to check the logs. No update yet.
For all these occasions, the symptom is "Unable to charge. Unplug and try again" after I plugged in the supercharger. I made sure the plug is all the way in. And the car has no problem charging on my NEMA 14-50 home plug. (However, last night it only took 16A instead of 30A out of ordinary and there is an orange ring at the charging port. It may have something to do with it not plugged fully in though. I will try it again tonight.)

Any clues on what the problem is? I am pretty sure it is my car and have seen other people having similar problems in the older threads. Seems like the service center replaced some components for them?

You mentioned having it plugged all the way in. I have had problems before when it seems like it is fully plugged in but is not. The supercharger cable is pretty unwieldy and short so sometimes it is at an awkward angle related to the model S port. Hopefully whatever the problem is it is corrected soon!

If you have a problem again, do a shutdown of the car screen and do not open a door for two minutes or touch anything. You will hear the car click a few times as it shuts down. Get out and try supercharging again. I had to have some parts replaced to fix that issue can't remember what, but in the meantime total shut down worked a few times.

Like DFibRL8R says, make sure it is plugged all the way in. When I first got my car, I seemed to have similar issues. Turned out, I just wasn't doing it right. It actually takes a surprising amount of force to fully seat the connector properly. Much more than the standard UMC/HPWC plug. I usually push and hold the supercharger plug into the car until I see the green ring flashing and the superchargers clicking on and running. So try that just to make sure it isn't something that simple, because you wouldn't be the first.

Like DFibRL8R says, make sure it is plugged all the way in. When I first got my car, I seemed to have similar issues. Turned out, I just wasn't doing it right. It actually takes a surprising amount of force to fully seat the connector properly. Much more than the standard UMC/HPWC plug. I usually push and hold the supercharger plug into the car until I see the green ring flashing and the superchargers clicking on and running. So try that just to make sure it isn't something that simple, because you wouldn't be the first.
OK. I will try that, even though I did see the green ring flashing for several seconds before it stops and show blue(?). The one time it did work in San Juan, the flashing green ring turns into solid green pretty quick and I heard a clicking from the car.

So I took it to SC upon their request. They told me the main charge unit is faulty and are replacing it. I got a loaner 85D yesterday and, when I plugged it in to my NEMA 14-50 last night, noticed that it takes full 40A out of it, while my 70D could only draw 30A at best. Maybe these two things are related.

So I took it to SC upon their request. They told me the main charge unit is faulty and are replacing it. I got a loaner 85D yesterday and, when I plugged it in to my NEMA 14-50 last night, noticed that it takes full 40A out of it, while my 70D could only draw 30A at best. Maybe these two things are related.

The supercharger doesn't use the internal charger, so whatever issue you're having at home is probably unrelated to the one at the supercharger.

Well, the technician said that the master charger controls the amperage so they maybe related. We will see. He did tell me to manually increase to 40A next time at home to override the memory.
They also replaced the 12V battery. So it is still problematic, I assume.

Last edited:
Yes, the on-board charger is what talks to the supercharger, even though it's power conversion circuits aren't used. It's brain acts as the liaison between the BMS (Battery Management system) and the supercharger and tells the supercharger what voltage/amperage to put out over a single-ended CAN connection.