Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has sold more plug-ins than Ford

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to my calculations (using US-only data from insideevs.com), Tesla has now sold more plug-ins than Ford - 49,200 to 48,626

Granted, this was also true a year or so ago, but with Teslas sales continuing to climb, I don't see it reversing again anytime soon.

Note that in these charts, the axis on the left applies only to Total sales, whereas all other values are on the right axis. The first is cumulative sales and the second is a 12mo rolling average.

Plug-in Sales - Cumulative - June 2015.png

Plug-in Sales - 12mo Avg - June 2015.png

Now, knowing that, I'd like to hear more about how the DOE is calculating their "gallons of gasoline saved annually" for the below graphics.

DOE-LPO_Project-Tables_ATVM_Tesla_Stats_0.png

Source: http://energy.gov/lpo/tesla

DOE-LPO_Project-Tables_ATVM_Ford_Stats_0.png

Source: http://energy.gov/lpo/ford

Ford sells plug-ins?

They have a Focus EV, and C-Max and Fusion PHEVs. They only advertise them in ZEV states, so most of the country (like where I live, in WA) is not aware of their offerings. A year or two ago I got a large, slick pamphlet from Ford advertising what good MPG their range got. They managed to talk about their ecoboost and hybrid cars without mentioning their EVs and PHEVs - amazing.

The bad news, in addition to the lack of advertising, is that they did very cheap conversions (stuffing all the batteries in the trunk) of existing cars, so they are not exceptional PEVs. Still, they are based on some decent cars (aside from C-Max reliability); they are reasonable compared to the competition.

The good news is that Ford is offering 3 PEVs, and they are technically available in all 50 states, if you somehow manage to hear about them and find a dealer that is willing to sell you one (that has been a real problem in my area). And it sounds like they are working on a better ~200-mile next-gen vehicle; they are remaining tight-lipped about it, which is a good sign that they are doing really shooting for sales and don't want to osborne their current line.

(In general auto companies serious about sales are tight-lipped about major improvements; when they broadcast major improvements way in advance, like GM is doing, it is more about brand-building because they don't care about current sales. Tesla is an unusual exception of course, as they obviously care about current sales but are trying to prod the competition. Nissan has mentioned their future cars, but largely in investor presentations when specifically asked about future EV competitiveness; their public consumer messaging channels have been very quiet about future range increases).

Last edited:
Yep. All the anger over Tesla and their 465 million dollar loan being paid back 9 years early. Ford is never mentioned.

That's kinda why I brought this up. Next time somebody complains about the loan, we can point out that Ford got $5B+ and has delivered fewer plug-ins.

In fairness, I think you could make a case that Ford's loan may have been as much about stabilizing them overall (ala GM bailout) as it was about funding EV production, but I don't expect anybody to make that counter-argument.

In fairness, I think you could make a case that Ford's loan may have been as much about stabilizing them overall (ala GM bailout) as it was about funding EV production, but I don't expect anybody to make that counter-argument.

I don't doubt that's true, but it's not what the loan was represented to cover.