Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help justify my P85D dreams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all, im here to offer yet another 85D v P85D thread. i know there are many of them. my scenario is, slightly different.

the wife and i have been saving for several years for a model s. originally we were going to go 60, but after the months went past we agreed on getting the 85. arranged a test drive and were sold on the model S, 100%. at the time i never considered the P85, sure it would be cool but i have an actual race car to get my speed fix. so i figured it would be a wasted effort.

after some time passed we were invited to the D event in hawthorn, enjoyed the food and the speech. then went for a P85D ride along. sadly this is when my world turned dark. after that i had a singular goal, to own a P85D. supercar acceleration, high efficiency, engineering simplicity, and a pinnacle of automotive technology [personal opinion].

somehow the stars have aligned and that goal is becoming very achievable. i constantly think this opportunity wont happen again for me. the model S would be by far the most we have ever spent on a car, 1/3rd the cost of our house...

our initial plan was to replace our fit ev lease that ends this upcoming march, honda is now going to extend that lease another 2 years so i can definitely have the time to save the price gap between the 85D and P85D. my current issue is fence sitting. every other day i read another thread about how the 85D is plenty fast, gets way better range, is cheaper, etc. so i wane and think... whats the point? if they all have the same suspension and handling characteristics. why is the P85D so much more? usually by the end of the day i say what the wife told me when i was fence sitting on 21" wheels, go big or go home. [and have backup cash saved for the possible wheel fix:tongue:.]

so whats the point of this thread? im curious to know why others have bit the bullet and got the P85D over the 85D. my logical side need validation for my emotional / gear head side that desires the "best" tesla i can currently get.

Timing..... that was it for me.

The Model S is a beautiful, amazing car. All of them are wonderful.

What put me over the edge (you can read my story here: New owner: Pearl White P85D) was the telephone call from my sales rep indicating he had a P85D in stock, with no miles, that I could go get right now. In my color, with my options... in my zip code.

Seriously, that was it.

Of course, I wanted the P85D more than the other options, but if I had gone through the process of ordering the car, I probably would have rationalized myself into a 70D or a 85D. Do I have any regrets? Absolutely not. Any chance of a regret goes away anytime I hit the accelerator, or hear the laughter of my children saying "Launch Daddy!!". The whole family loves this machine.

IMHO, you quickly forget about what you paid for the car after owning it, you just enjoy it. Or at least you should.... I plan on keeping this car for a long time, longer than any other car I have ever owned. I wonder if I probably would have desired to trade out the 70D early to get back into a performance car. (BTW, my previous cars were a wonderful Audi S6 and a sledgehammer E63 AMG.)

The P85D is way better than either of my previous performance cars. And thats before I talk about my home solar setup and no gas, etc.... Who knows if I will ever be able to justify this level of car again? I can now, and so I enjoy it everyday (...that's the midlife crisis part of the decision making process coming out...) :cool:

hello all, im here to offer yet another 85D v P85D thread. i know there are many of them. my scenario is, slightly different.

the wife and i have been saving for several years for a model s. originally we were going to go 60, but after the months went past we agreed on getting the 85. arranged a test drive and were sold on the model S, 100%. at the time i never considered the P85, sure it would be cool but i have an actual race car to get my speed fix. so i figured it would be a wasted effort.

after some time passed we were invited to the D event in hawthorn, enjoyed the food and the speech. then went for a P85D ride along. sadly this is when my world turned dark. after that i had a singular goal, to own a P85D. supercar acceleration, high efficiency, engineering simplicity, and a pinnacle of automotive technology [personal opinion].

somehow the stars have aligned and that goal is becoming very achievable. i constantly think this opportunity wont happen again for me. the model S would be by far the most we have ever spent on a car, 1/3rd the cost of our house...

our initial plan was to replace our fit ev lease that ends this upcoming march, honda is now going to extend that lease another 2 years so i can definitely have the time to save the price gap between the 85D and P85D. my current issue is fence sitting. every other day i read another thread about how the 85D is plenty fast, gets way better range, is cheaper, etc. so i wane and think... whats the point? if they all have the same suspension and handling characteristics. why is the P85D so much more? usually by the end of the day i say what the wife told me when i was fence sitting on 21" wheels, go big or go home. [and have backup cash saved for the possible wheel fix:tongue:.]

so whats the point of this thread? im curious to know why others have bit the bullet and got the P85D over the 85D. my logical side need validation for my emotional / gear head side that desires the "best" tesla i can currently get.

It's a lot of money so it's never a simple choice, but for me it came down to not wanting to regret compromising on what is a huge commitment either way. I think if you have the ability to comfortably get the P85D you should. My bet is that most people don't regret that choice. But I wouldn't do it if it requires compromising elsewhere on things that are meaningful to you.

Sounds like you don't need help justifying it. Get the car you really want. Life is too short - you will regret not spending $20K. It is an awesome car.

just curious what were the driving factors for others.

But I wouldn't do it if it requires compromising elsewhere on things that are meaningful to you.

hahah, funny you should say that since the last few years we have been saving like mad, skimping on luxuries, travel, stupid purchases like upgrades for my race car and things for the house. we called it ramen noodle mode. this would be the second time we have self inflicted ramen noodle mode. the first time was saving for our home down payment, 25%. we were far less established 5 years ago.

Frankly, if I were buying today, I'd get a used P85. Best bang for the buck if you don't have to deal with snow in the winter.

I had a P85D for the day when I had my car in for service and it was a blast! I wouldn't spend $20k extra for it, but it sure is fun to get as a loaner once or twice a year.

Your story is very close to mine. I went to purchase a S60 and I called the sales person in advance to make sure they had a S60 to test and made it clear to them I am not interested in the top model. When I went there, the usual story, S60 has gone out. Meanwhile we have the P85+. Oh well, since I am already here why not. I was just blown away. Went home and slept over it. Few months later, I got a call from them asking me if I wanted to test a P85D. Went, tested, double blown away. Paid the deposit and told them I want the delivery after 6 months so I can sleep over my decision. The price of this car is a significant percentage of the value of my house. Loans were rejected because my income did not justify the price. I got calls from them advising me to purchase the lower models. But I had the cash to pay and so ignored them. If I was given the choice to go back, I would buy the S85D because it has a slightly more range. The need to use INSANE has mostly been for entertainment. Even without the INSANE mode, the car shoots like a rocket. However I can't remember the performance of the S85D. I should test to compare.

Last edited:
Sorry for the length, but this touched on a big part of my life.

I'm taking delivery of my P85D tomorrow and I'll explain my reasoning, which is way way way deeper than you requested, but it's an answer. I wasn't really on the fence about what model I wanted. The P85D was just awesome and I knew if I didn't buy it I would wish I had. So I wasn't really trying to justify the car itself, whether I wanted certain options yes, but for me it was more P85D now or wait. In February I did plan on testing both of them, this time I didn't care because I can afford it and it was what I wanted.

I wanted one last year, but life (not money) went sideways and it wasn't a priority. I was going to test drive in February, but again life went sideways and I cancelled. On June 4th life was still sideways, but I just felt like driving one. Test drove on June 6th, and purchased 2 hours later because life will always find a way to go sideways and I'd prefer to spend some time going forward to 60 in 3.1s

I've had an interesting life. I've ranged from making very little money, to being stranded and living out of a car for 3 months, to working ridiculously hard and making sacrifices to be where I am today, to being comfortable without working ridiculous hours. I've seen freak medical accidents happen to family members that destroyed all their dreams and permanently changed their lives in very negative ways. It may sound grim, but years ago when my career started taking off I decided to save for a house (Bay Area isn't cheap) and then I realized that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, or get brain cancer, or any number of things, and I would have wasted so much time because I wanted to own something that wouldn't really bring me huge amounts of joy. I felt my money was better spent traveling, on experiences, or improving someone else's life... the things that brought me joy. So that's what I spend my money on now. I make it a point to reward myself throughout the year because I worked hard to have what I have and I try to do things that make others happy. I don't see the point in saving money for things that won't bring me joy or improve my life while I avoid the things that will.

I view the P85D as an experience, not a thing. Most people seem to get extreme joy from the car the entire time they own it, I love cars, and loved every minute of the test drive. It is something that will be fun to drive, own, and learn about, and those that I give rides to will also have the experience and joy the car brings even if it isn't on a regular basis.

You should reward yourself from time to time. It is investing in yourself and in your happiness, which is the best investment you can make in life. If you have the money, you have it for a reason, and you should be happy about that. You deserve to spend it on something that makes you happy. Forget the people that say you spent too much on this or that, they didn't put in the work, and it isn't their money and it isn't their happiness. Just as I don't care if people think this is mumbojumbo... it is my experience in life and my philosophy.

I'm happy to hear the stars have aligned for you and your wife and I fully support you buying what makes you and your wife happy. If that is a P85D then great! If you drive the 85D and it is enough, then that's also great. If an 85D and being able to go to Bali or Maldives once a year is better than a P85D then that is also great!

One thing I've learned in my life is that things happen for a reason. Good, bad, horrible, happy, sad, heart crushing. I'm very thankful for the bad things that have happened in my life because without them I wouldn't have had the knowledge that got me to where I am. While I try to make logical decisions and not fly by the seat of my pants and be reckless, I also see how every choice I've made has benefited me in some way regardless of the initial outcome. Everything in life is a risk, but you might as well be happy while taking it.

So my vote is to invest in your happiness, whatever that ends up being. By your description of the P85D and your wife's opinion of going big, it sounds like you've already made the decision.

A couple things to keep in mind. Insurance can be expensive and the timelines are shorter now. Mine only took 1 month and that was ahead of schedule so you should plan that you might be responsible for the payment within 30 days, not months like before.

Tesla makes a point of not giving test drives in the non-P cars in order to encourage people to buy the P cars.

Take a test drive in the 85D. Make it happen.

FWIW there appears to be NO resale-value premium on the "P", so if you buy that option, it really is strictly for you. Make sure you care.

I would seriously not even consider the p85d. It's too fast, and after you are finished pretending you are 15 years old again do you really want back breaking accelleration out of every corner? My neck is sore enough from just a regular 85RWD.

I say go with a 85D or a 85 RWD (and maybe get more options) and you save a lot of money that you could spend on something else.

The P85D is insane and insane is not really nessecary for everyday driving.

In my family we have always bought the model variant with the "smaller engine." (Mercedes S400 instead of S500, 350 instead of 450, etc etc) You save a bit of $$ on gas this way and are not lugging around extra weight and power that you rarely use.

sure, insane mode is probably a blast. but I vote that you do the practical/sensible thing (and save a bit of money in the process).

I originally wanted an MS 60, but driving a Chevy Volt on the streets of NY in winter for the past 3 years me that I need every mile of range I can squeeze out of an EV. So I went for an 85D. It sounds like you might be able to get away without the D given your location.

That said, if you are going to get depressed and filled with regret that you didn't get the top end model, then by all means get the P85D. it is the flagship. It's the fastest. If that is what's important to you, then you have your answer.

FWIW I have never tested a P85D, and even during my 10 min test-drive in an 85D I drove like a little old lady through NYC traffic and did not "punch it" at all.

my Tesla dream was more than 3 years in the making. I would have gotten a Model S sight unseen as did many early reservation holders on this forum. or something REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY bad had to go down during that 10 minute test-drive to make me rethink my Model S dreams.

I took delivery 7 days and a number of hours ago... the dream is real.

Still Grinnin' :rolleyes:

I have the p85D, it is a lovely car. I got it because I did not want to wait for the 85D. I ordered the 19" package, never regretted (more quiet than 21", very similar performance). Here is what I can say after 7 months:
1. I used "insane mode" maybe 20 times in total. Mainly show-off with friends just to get the impression of the car potential.
2. In day-to-day driving, using sports mode gives plenty of acceleration - and is probably close to what you get in the 85D. The 4.4 sec to 60 mph quoted for the 85D is similar to my previous BMW 650xi, and already "insanely fast"
3. For those who have winter, the extra range of 85D may come in very handy. I wish I had 20 more miles, would make my trips to Minneapolis much more comfortable in inclement weather.

Bottom line, I love the car, but would not order again the performance package. My choice would be 85D.

Question (probably should be a poll) -- Would P85D owners trade up for a model 250hp stronger than the current P85D? Meaning - put the rear motor also in the front.
That is if the batteries could deliver the Wattage. sub 2.7sec 0-60, that kind of thing...

Very well said Manis
+1 !!

Sorry for the length, but this touched on a big part of my life.

I'm taking delivery of my P85D tomorrow and I'll explain my reasoning, which is way way way deeper than you requested, but it's an answer. I wasn't really on the fence about what model I wanted. The P85D was just awesome and I knew if I didn't buy it I would wish I had. So I wasn't really trying to justify the car itself, whether I wanted certain options yes, but for me it was more P85D now or wait. In February I did plan on testing both of them, this time I didn't care because I can afford it and it was what I wanted.

I wanted one last year, but life (not money) went sideways and it wasn't a priority. I was going to test drive in February, but again life went sideways and I cancelled. On June 4th life was still sideways, but I just felt like driving one. Test drove on June 6th, and purchased 2 hours later because life will always find a way to go sideways and I'd prefer to spend some time going forward to 60 in 3.1s

I've had an interesting life. I've ranged from making very little money, to being stranded and living out of a car for 3 months, to working ridiculously hard and making sacrifices to be where I am today, to being comfortable without working ridiculous hours. I've seen freak medical accidents happen to family members that destroyed all their dreams and permanently changed their lives in very negative ways. It may sound grim, but years ago when my career started taking off I decided to save for a house (Bay Area isn't cheap) and then I realized that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, or get brain cancer, or any number of things, and I would have wasted so much time because I wanted to own something that wouldn't really bring me huge amounts of joy. I felt my money was better spent traveling, on experiences, or improving someone else's life... the things that brought me joy. So that's what I spend my money on now. I make it a point to reward myself throughout the year because I worked hard to have what I have and I try to do things that make others happy. I don't see the point in saving money for things that won't bring me joy or improve my life while I avoid the things that will.

I view the P85D as an experience, not a thing. Most people seem to get extreme joy from the car the entire time they own it, I love cars, and loved every minute of the test drive. It is something that will be fun to drive, own, and learn about, and those that I give rides to will also have the experience and joy the car brings even if it isn't on a regular basis.

You should reward yourself from time to time. It is investing in yourself and in your happiness, which is the best investment you can make in life. If you have the money, you have it for a reason, and you should be happy about that. You deserve to spend it on something that makes you happy. Forget the people that say you spent too much on this or that, they didn't put in the work, and it isn't their money and it isn't their happiness. Just as I don't care if people think this is mumbojumbo... it is my experience in life and my philosophy.

I'm happy to hear the stars have aligned for you and your wife and I fully support you buying what makes you and your wife happy. If that is a P85D then great! If you drive the 85D and it is enough, then that's also great. If an 85D and being able to go to Bali or Maldives once a year is better than a P85D then that is also great!

One thing I've learned in my life is that things happen for a reason. Good, bad, horrible, happy, sad, heart crushing. I'm very thankful for the bad things that have happened in my life because without them I wouldn't have had the knowledge that got me to where I am. While I try to make logical decisions and not fly by the seat of my pants and be reckless, I also see how every choice I've made has benefited me in some way regardless of the initial outcome. Everything in life is a risk, but you might as well be happy while taking it.

So my vote is to invest in your happiness, whatever that ends up being. By your description of the P85D and your wife's opinion of going big, it sounds like you've already made the decision.

A couple things to keep in mind. Insurance can be expensive and the timelines are shorter now. Mine only took 1 month and that was ahead of schedule so you should plan that you might be responsible for the payment within 30 days, not months like before.

Question (probably should be a poll) -- Would P85D owners trade up for a model 250hp stronger than the current P85D? Meaning - put the rear motor also in the front.
That is if the batteries could deliver the Wattage. sub 2.7sec 0-60, that kind of thing...

All vehicles will reach a saturation point. Increasing motor power & batteries does nothing but adds weights. The only room it has in increasing speed is improving the traction & removing the side mirrors. However there are rumors that it is has reached 2.8 seconds with improved traction. That would probably be the fastest until the body is redesigned to reduce coefficient of drag.

I also thought I might regret it if I didn't just stretch for the P85D. Now that I've enjoyed it for 6 months and 11k miles, I'm absolutely positive I would have regretted it. I have so much fun with it. The 70D and 85D and all the models are amazing cars, but for me, I love the supercar acceleration of the P85D. With all the firmware updates, it's efficiency is astonishingly better than when I received the car in late December 2014. So when I want to take a long road trip with the family, I've got the range I need; just this weekend I saw my 30 mi avg drop to about 240 WH/mi when I was cruising. But most of the time I'm having fun and it's closer to 400+ WH/mi!

You'll be happy with any of the models but I'd definitely do the P85D again!