Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

St Augustine SC AMP fluxuation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just so the thread police don't give me a citation, Im starting a thread to ask this question.

My wife is returning from a trip and stopped at the St Augustine SC with 54miles of range left on our S85.

It stopped charging after a few minutes.

AMPS are fluctuating from 78 to 200 to 180 to 149 to 190 currently 140 with 169miles range.

Heat? Others SCing? or something wrong with SC?
I've never seen numbers that low with the battery that empty and certainly never the dramatic fluxuations.

I've supercharged dozens of times and have seen this behavior just once, and at a supercharger that worked correctly two days later on my return trip. It was a 4 stall supercharger (Lumberton, NC) and I took the only open stall when I arrived, so fully loaded. The charge started out slow as would be expected, but then started rolling the amps up and down, even after the car on the same charging pair left, it still rolled up and down. It was a hot day, but not incredibly hot. Have no idea why, but just chalked it up to some type of temp/power anomaly.

Last time I stopped there was on the way back from MD in April. There was an electrician working on some of the SC's. He said the amperage output was low on them. I'd just come down from the Savannah SC where 3 of the stalls were only outputting 80 amp max. Maybe they have random long term problems with both locations?

I saw it also once at St. Augustine SC.

Only guess is, either a thermal event (getting too hot in the battery suddenly) or some external power issue with utility.

Here's how it looks with real data:

SC power Fluctuation.png

data.png