Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacement parts now 66% cheaper. Bumper Cover was $1200 now $320

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A week ago, a jackass was backing out of a parking spot and hit my P85D on the rear drivers side wheel and quarter panel.

The Tesla certified body shop in town now has my car, and just finished the estimate. The owner told me that about 30 days ago Tesla dramatically slashed the price of almost all parts to the tune of 66% reduction in cost. The repair shop which also handles Audi aluminum repairs along with other high end autos said that before the cost of Tesla parts were in line with Mercedes, Audi, BMW, but now Tesla is much cheaper. He said some things are still the same price, for example a 21" wheel is still $1500, but overall most parts saw a price cut. One part he gave me before and after prices for were the bumper cover ("the most common part needing replacing" he said) which went from $1200 to $320.

My estimate to repair the damage came in under $10k, whereas 30 days ago he said it would have been mid 20s.

This should be good news for insurance rates, and out of warranty repairs!

Of course I'm still pretty pissed about my hit. It will be 30 days before I get my car back. Rear backup sensors should be mandatory (the jackass didn't have them on her 2010 car).

Last stockholders annual meet, Elon did say "Safest car .. insurance companies should take notice.." .. so I have a feeling that high insurance prices is something Tesla is thinking about.

The reduction of prices of replacement parts is a HUGE plus in my eyes. Lets hope insurance companies notice.

Sorry to hear about your accident. But look at the plus side, if you were in India, you'd have an oxident!

this is GREAT news. bc you know, scratching your Model 3 would have cost $30k in repairs alone. instant 'total loss.' Now it'll only cost you $10k. :)

it was getting so ridiculous that it'd be cheaper to just buy a barebone's S60 shell and just swap your good 85 battery pack in lol

i guess the market was getting flooding with too many excellent working condition salvage model S's with minor cosmetic dmg and they finally took notice. that and everyone's insurance rates were getting jacked sky high and also some insurance companies dropped coverage for Tesla's completely. it was bound to get Tesla's attention eventually.

and for the love of god, people, please stop driving your MS into buildings. honestly. that's why some places have 'take out' lanes. 'take out' doesn't mean driving your MS through the store front window.

My take is tesla is using data to fine tune its orders on replacement parts. They are figuring out which part of the car is more prone to damage in a collision and probably fine tuning the replacement part orders. This way they can get an order discount when they mass order compared to on demand order. Good thing to see Tesla passing the saving to the consumer. Maybe it is for the owners ultimately because Tesla does not want insurance companies to charge ridiculous amount for full coverage. Either way, win-win IMO.

A week ago, a jackass was backing out of a parking spot and hit my P85D on the rear drivers side wheel and quarter panel.

The Tesla certified body shop in town now has my car, and just finished the estimate. The owner told me that about 30 days ago Tesla dramatically slashed the price of almost all parts to the tune of 66% reduction in cost. The repair shop which also handles Audi aluminum repairs along with other high end autos said that before the cost of Tesla parts were in line with Mercedes, Audi, BMW, but now Tesla is much cheaper. He said some things are still the same price, for example a 21" wheel is still $1500, but overall most parts saw a price cut. One part he gave me before and after prices for were the bumper cover ("the most common part needing replacing" he said) which went from $1200 to $320.

My estimate to repair the damage came in under $10k, whereas 30 days ago he said it would have been mid 20s.

This should be good news for insurance rates, and out of warranty repairs!

Of course I'm still pretty pissed about my hit. It will be 30 days before I get my car back. Rear backup sensors should be mandatory (the jackass didn't have them on her 2010 car).

A bumper cover cost $1200 before? That's outrageous! Well, I'm glad they are lowering their OEM parts prices... The bumper example of $320 is definitely reasonable now.

Finally. Some of the repair costs posted for minor damage have been astronomical. The rear quarter panels will always be expensive just because of what they are, but it's great news some of these other components are coming down in costs. Hopefully it's soon enough to fend off insurance rate increases.

Now if they started getting more shops qualified for repairs we'd eliminate that bottleneck as well.

Reactions: TaoJones
My take is tesla is using data to fine tune its orders on replacement parts. They are figuring out which part of the car is more prone to damage in a collision and probably fine tuning the replacement part orders. This way they can get an order discount when they mass order compared to on demand order. Good thing to see Tesla passing the saving to the consumer. Maybe it is for the owners ultimately because Tesla does not want insurance companies to charge ridiculous amount for full coverage. Either way, win-win IMO.

Tesla makes all their body panels, so should be no order fine tuning necessary. The replacement part pricing decision is all on Tesla.

I bought a new windshield in 2013 and it cost $993.61 (including tax). I asked him for the new pricing and he sent me this picture. Apparently It's $520 or $540 depending on heated windshield wipers or not. I'm guessing those are the pre-tax numbers.

download_20150706_155934.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: cwave1 and TaoJones
Not that I don't believe the OP--I do--but can anyone corroborate? I'm skeptical until I hear this from various locations from around the country.

I also completely believe the OP, but it's almost too good to be true. I'd love to see some corroboration as well.

This is VERY exciting news as I feel a large portion of the higher than usual costs to insure are a result of expensive repairs.

That's a very drastic drop in price and I LOVE IT!! $320 for a cover is very reasonable as is $540 for the windshield!!

I hope these prices are ubiquitous with all shops!

The original prices are in line with other manufactures ... i.e., A Porsche bumper cover is $1500 and windshield is $1200.
The new OEM price structure is great news.

A bumper cover cost $1200 before? That's outrageous!
Well, I'm glad they are lowering their OEM parts prices... The bumper example of $320 is definitely reasonable now.

I bought a new windshield in 2013 and it cost $993.61 (including tax). I asked him for the new pricing and he sent me this picture.
Apparently It's $520 or $540 depending on heated windshield wipers or not. I'm guessing those are the pre-tax numbers.

I bought a new windshield in 2013 and it cost $993.61 (including tax). I asked him for the new pricing and he sent me this picture. Apparently It's $520 or $540 depending on heated windshield wipers or not. I'm guessing those are the pre-tax numbers.

Well I feel vindicated that the windshield for heated vs non-heated had a price difference. I'd been telling people that for a while and a number of people doubted that. I'd been saying that a non-heated windshield was around $1000 and $1200 for heated.

For what it's worth this is what Tesla quoted me for a new windshield to replace the one that was cracked on Friday.

The parts cost is $624 (mono camera no heat windshield glass) and labor is $350, which is at about *$974 before tax.

I'd guess the price list you're quoting is the cheaper price for authorized body shops. So your new windshield in 2013 is not entirely comparable to the numbers you're looking at.

But yup it does look like they've lowered prices. Thanks for sharing.