Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservations -- How does Tesla handle reservations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

So I'm figuring that reservations will open up sometime next year ( when they show the 3 off to the public ) anyways I would probably put a reservation in when it opens. However, if by the time the ordering opens up for the 3 can I change my mind and apply that towards a different car? ( For me I would consider a CPO S or a model 3 purchase )

Thanks,

Brian

I suspect it will be fully refundable (my X deposit is). I wouldn't have put down a deposit on the X if it wasn't. I was willing to risk the opportunity cost on the $5k deposit to lock in my position should the order queue double in size after the X reveal (if it is that awesome), and (to a lesser extent) bragging rights.

Once the X is revealed, I'll decide if I want one, or if I'll get my deposit back, buy a CPO S, and wait for the Model 3.

Horror of Horrors: What if there is no Reservation process for Model ≡ at all? No Founders... No Signatures... No advance positioning whatsoever. Strictly first come, first served, with the Design Studio opening for Orders in late Spring 2017?

That would certainly ruin my plans.

I suspect the mother of all reservation queues when the Model 3 goes on sale. I'm going to tell everyone I know to jump on the website the moment it goes live.

I guarantee that we'll all end up crashing the site in a matter of minutes :)

If I can pull it off, I'm planning on making two reservations: one for a Signature (if Tesla does offer that line for the 3) and one for General Production. Will cancel the Signature if there's a "Sig tax" a la the Model S once the options are revealed.

A place early in the line may be doubly important for the 3 if one wants to get the full $7,500 federal tax credit in the U.S.; Tesla would be coming up quickly on the 200,000 car mark (US cars alone count) by the time the 3 enters production.

That might be quite a fun day: getting (hopefully) an early/low number for a Model 3 and seeing the roof go off the stock because it will finally become real to a much larger segment of the population that EVs (by Tesla) are real and better than other cars (at least to many).

I am supremely curious as to how many reservations will be made on the first day, week, month, and at release time of the Model 3.

I obviously can't predict the future, but I've been saying 250,000 reservations before the first delivery. There are a huge number of Tesla fans that desperately want a Tesla, but can't afford a Model S, but can afford $35,000.

Day - 100,000
Week - 150,000
Year - 250,000

If I look at our circle of friends (doctors, engineers and it guys) it's clear that they are all holding their breaths for the Model 3. Almost nobody here can afford a Model S, but the model 3 takes it from "completely unrealistic" to "within the realm of possibilities" for most of them.

I suspect I know 10 people who will reserve instantly when EU reservations open up.

I obviously can't predict the future, but I've been saying 250,000 reservations before the first delivery. There are a huge number of Tesla fans that desperately want a Tesla, but can't afford a Model S, but can afford $35,000.

Day - 100,000
Week - 150,000
Year - 250,000

this. +1 (but it might take 2-3 days until we reach 100,000 reservations, since the system will break down every now and then, for sure.)

Day - 100,000
Week - 150,000
Year - 250,000

I generally agree although I think it will take a little longer to obtain the milestones you listed. What will be fascinating to see is how many purchase a Model 3 for under $40k. It will most likely be a very small percentage of total sales and will be a short lived memory. I don't think $35k is really the key to success. Getting a reasonably optioned Model S for less than $45k will still result in a huge demand.