Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front seat belts rub against neck - very bothersome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a new Model S 85D with only 250 miles on it. When the front seats are adjusted for the best positions, the edge of both the driver and passenger seat belts rub firmly against our necks. This is going to be a problem on anything but very short trips. Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie?

My wife complains about that, too. I think this (adjustable seatbelt) would fall in the list of stuff Tesla will hopefully include in future models... it is standard on every luxury car I know of and a lot of the economy cars, too...

It really sounds like you need to try raising the seat, even if this new position takes some getting used to. I'm rather short (160 cm) and have no problem with the seat belt rubbing. My seat is adjusted quite high, which also gives me better visibility on things.

I'm 6'0" and I complained to Tesla about this last year, wondering whether our vehicle's belt had an unwanted half-twist in it. Service Center determined ours was no different from any other vehicle, so nothing was changed. The belt would, I believe, have to be altered at the base, spring winder level, with that element being turned 180º...and that is more than a ten-minute procedure.

It frustrates me to the extent that about 1/4-1/3 of the time that I'm driving, I give it the desired half-twist myself up at the shoulder, which then makes for an unwanted, unstable, and probably dangerous-in-a-crash half twist right at my belly.

I don't understand it. Providing that half-twist allows the belt to lay flat against the upper torso-neck area - it must be a safer, more natural attitude. I have been awaiting another's input into this situation to provide my own experience, so I thank the OP for initiating this thread.

My wife complains about that, too. I think this (adjustable seatbelt) would fall in the list of stuff Tesla will hopefully include in future models... it is standard on every luxury car I know of and a lot of the economy cars, too...

For me, it just happens to be at the right height, but it is odd that they aren't height adjustable like just about every other car. Just yesterday I happened to notice a passenger was holding the belt away from his neck on a short trip we were making to the store. He said it was in a kind of awkward spot on his neck.

I am not THAT short (at 5'9) but this is a problem for me as well.

I purchased Amazon.com: Masterlink Marketing Black Seatbelt Adjuster, (Pack of 2): Automotive but it raises the horizontal portion of the belt, positioning it over (and not under) your abdomen, which makes it dangerous.

If I raise the seat, the seat doesnt bother me as much but I then get very poor visibility on the internal rearview mirror (the window on the back is too small/short).

I have been able to squeeze a small improvement by moving the seat as back as I could (and adjusting the steering wheel as well).

I have not tried the pads.

I'm 6'0" and I complained to Tesla about this last year, wondering whether our vehicle's belt had an unwanted half-twist in it. Service Center determined ours was no different from any other vehicle, so nothing was changed. The belt would, I believe, have to be altered at the base, spring winder level, with that element being turned 180º...and that is more than a ten-minute procedure.

It frustrates me to the extent that about 1/4-1/3 of the time that I'm driving, I give it the desired half-twist myself up at the shoulder, which then makes for an unwanted, unstable, and probably dangerous-in-a-crash half twist right at my belly.

I don't understand it. Providing that half-twist allows the belt to lay flat against the upper torso-neck area - it must be a safer, more natural attitude. I have been awaiting another's input into this situation to provide my own experience, so I thank the OP for initiating this thread.
There are probably very strong safety regulations at play here. And they are not going to change anything to something that has not been extensively tested. And even a 180° switch could change the forces at work.

We have a new Model S 85D with only 250 miles on it. When the front seats are adjusted for the best positions, the edge of both the driver and passenger seat belts rub firmly against our necks. This is going to be a problem on anything but very short trips. Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie?

+1

334 Miles as of this morning. I'm constantly pulling the seatbelt bc it keeps chafing against my neck. it's getting bothersome.

My wife also complains about the seat belt all the time...:redface:

I hear her say all the time "100K car and still they don't have seat belt adjuster"

I choose to ignore her :biggrin: all the time but I guess seat belt adjuster listed on amazon might be a solution.

Other seatbelt options.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have ordered these seatbelt clamps, though I realize that using them will compromise the crash performance. But, the 'cutting into our necks' issue is significant enuf for us to try this as a remedy.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooops - here is the item = Traveling LooPo (2-Pack) Seat Belt Adjuster. Amazon has them.

Yes, I agree. It doesn't explain why that half-twist is there from the outset, however.

I agree with your experience. However I would suggest that twisting the base 180 degrees would only result in the same experience of the belt wanting to twist 90 degrees (to be at an angle to the skin as opposed to tangential). This happens because of the orientation of the linear outlet hole for the belt up by the shoulder. If you twist the base 180 degrees you'd probably experience the belt wanting to twist 90 degrees in the other direction but with the same result: edge against the skin at an angle.