Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rise of the Cybercar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From C/Net. . .

Are drivers ready for high-tech onslaught? | CNET News.com

This article actually makes me almost feel like a Luddite, which is pretty unusual for me.

Almost none of the gadgetry described in the article has any appeal for me. I don't want any nav system. Even if I spent time learning how it works, I'm sure I'd have forgotten two years later when I get into a situation where I need to use it. I'll get by the way I always have, with my folding paper maps. Bluetooth? I hardly even use my cell phone, and I'm sure not going to try to use it while driving.

Adaptive cruise control? It sounds scary. Keep in mind my current sports car doesn't even have regular cruise control. Or traction control. Or antilock brakes. Or power steering. Even so, it usually takes me about 20 minutes just to figure out how to get the heat or A/C working. (Why can't they label the controls with words instead of heiroglyphics?)

I thought about satellite radio, I really considered it. That's a neat technology. However. . . They've crammed so many channels into the available bandwidth that the sound quality is actually not terribly good. Plus there's the hassle of a monthly subscription, plus I'll most likely be listening to my iPod most of the time anyhow.

Last edited:
I don't want any nav system.

I use my NAV system quite a lot. For trips in L.A., where the streets are often tricky, I save loads of time by queuing up the address and following the lady's voice. The paper map system used to take me forever, as I would have to pull over, check the map, drive a bit, and sometimes pull over again. It was a pain in the neck. The NAV system, by contrast, is ideal (well, almost -- she makes a few mistakes).

Even for trips where I know where I'm going, I sometimes still ask for guidance -- just to estimate my arrival time. She's usually spot on.

Nice video, Tony!

Personally I like car "gadgets" as long as they don't weight a lot, or cost too much.

A good GPS/nav system really is your friend.

I would be happy with a car music player that just had a USB slot for Flash memory. Solid state MP3/AAC should replace tapes and discs.

What cars really need is a traffic monitoring system. Attempts to do traffic alerts on radio have fizzled.

See this map showing what we need in our cars:

511.org -- Traffic: Traffic Map with Driving Times

doomsday.jpg

Last edited:
Tony try getting around in a big city.

Here in LA (with some of the worlds best street-signage) my job takes me to new places every week all over the Southland and the Bay Area. I literally carried 9 Thomas Brothers map books in a full shopping bag. This was probably 20 pounds in my back seat and even so, once or twice a year I still would not have one to cover the area I needed.

My new Nav system is the best invention for the car since rubber tires! Next one will have some type of traffic reporting function.

As for bluetooth, California has a new law that say you cannot be on a cell phone while driving. A hands free system is now mandatory.