Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Sur, CA charging challenge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am driving from Los Angeles and camping in Big Sur (Pfieffer campground). I don't think I can make it in my Model 60 and am looking for charging tips near Big Sur...

I can re-charge at a hotel at Moonstone Beach, then it is 70 miles to the campsite. I likely have to do some driving while at the campsite, and then I want to head back south again, ideally to Atascadero... but that is 100 miles. I can't see how to do it with a 200 mile charge without some sort of charging at Big Sur.

Only option I see is Big Sur Campground and Cabins, $80 for a campsite, but they are booked :(

Hope I don't need to take an ICE but it's looking that way.

Is there '50 amp' service where you're camping? That works well with your universal charger and nema 14-20 adapter. Or even using trickle charging with 120v and 12 amps... Over a 24 hour camping period, you'll get near 80 miles

There are three locations near Big Sur:

Big Sur Campground and Cabins
(831) 667-2322

Fernwood Resort Campground
(831) 667-2422

Pfeiffer Big Sur
Riverside Campground
(831) 667-2414

Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn and Spa are also very close by, but might not have 240 V charging.
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn is a bit further South.

You might call and see if they can offer even a 120 V outlet to get 76 miles over a 24 hour period.

Post Ranch has long had Tesla HPWC's - but may be for guests only - perhaps if you have lunch there then a leisurely walk around the grounds? 3 hrs can get you up to 75 miles.
Last year when I physically checked campgrounds mentioned above, the outlets were in sad shape. Definitely call ahead.

I think Big Sur Pfieffer has a 110 next to rest rooms.

According to Plugshare...
...Ventana Inn has two J1772s - note says for guest only, but maybe you can grab lunch there or ask to pay
...Further down 1, Esalan has two HPWCs, but same restriction/option as above
...San Simeon Lodge has a J1772 you can use if you eat at the restaurant

Anyway, there are a bunch more options as you go further south - best bet might be to fire up Plugshare than make a couple of phone calls.

O

Thanks all. Add to the challenge three young kids, which makes a lunch stop a little tougher. Deetjen's Inn seems like the most likely option for a lunch stop (good options for kids, can walk around the grounds) but I can't find anything about there being a charger/outlet there. As a backup maybe the Ventana Inn.