Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S (Adelaide, South Australia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most important thing prior to your Model S arriving is to make sure you have somewhere to charge it at home. This is especially important in South Australia where it will be a while before there are any Superchargers locally, if ever.
In addition sign up for Plugshare and Chargepoint although a quick look only shows J1772 chargers which are not compatible with a Model S without an adapter cable. See the thread Mobile charging for Australia
If you have a favourite Hotel or Resort in the Barossa I would contact them and tell them about the Tesla Destination Charging Program.
Other than that just be ready to have your life changed by this amazing car and prepare to be asked lots of questions by curious passers by.

If you are in the Adelaide city council area they have a rebate on charging station / spot install Sustainable City Incentives Scheme - Adelaide City Council

the first draft of criteria they sent me was very restrictive and illogical ie. you must have solar panels but you must also have a timer so you charge during off peak and not use the solar.... or you can have $150 to install a powerpoint but you can't have anything to install a wallbox if your are given one as part of the car purchase.

Hi Azzuhri

First of all, congratulations and welcome to the Tesla family :)

Here is a checklist of things you may like to consider: Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide

There are a few of things that I would recommend doing/check when you get your car:

- Is your "walk away lock" set to "on"? That means you can walk away from the car and it will lock itself. This is very convenient.
- Do you have an upgraded sound system? If so, go to the RDIO settings and change streaming quality from normal to "best" (I think that's the setting) because it improves the audio quality
- Make sure there is a Universal Mobile Charger cable included with the car
- Make sure they gave you a home wall connector (unless you've already installed it)
- Go to Settings --> Display and make sure that the "always connected" tick box is checked and energy management is off so your car will start faster and the app will connect faster
- You DON'T need to sign up for your own RDIO account - Tesla will give you one. RDIO CANNOT play whole albums or artists, they can only do "stations" based on the one song you choose - this is not a fault with your car, it's just the implementation they've gone with
- Of course, have a good look for transportation damage or wear and tear

I received my model S in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago. All very seamless so you dont need to worry about much. My broker found me some very cost effective insurance too. Ryan from polishd came out and fully polished / opticoated the exterior, which looks incredible.

I received my model S in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago. All very seamless so you dont need to worry about much. My broker found me some very cost effective insurance too. Ryan from polishd came out and fully polished / opticoated the exterior, which looks incredible.

Congratulations and welcome to the Tesla family and TMC Paulp!

what spec did you get and are you happy for Timpoo to add the details of your build to the list?

Call Woodards (broker) on 85621956. Price depends on circumstance, but ther was no shock. There are multiple options as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcome!
We have the very first obsidian black in Australia (ordered as soon as it went live on the website), an S85. Tan interior. All options.
Feel free to add it to the list.
I also have an 85D on order, november delivery.

Now all we need is a way to drive from Adelaide to Melbourne

I would like also to know if it is currently possible to drive Adel to Melb.
According to Pugshare.com, you could do a full charge at Mitsubishi Administration Building (CHAdeMO DCFC), then outside of Adelaide travelling to Melbourne top up at J1772 EV plug at Organic Market and Café 5 Druid Ave, Stirling then next charge is at Horsham another J1772 15 amp. Distance = 412km. that would be enough to get you to Melbourne.
If anyone has successfully driven this please share your experiences.

Attachments

• CaptureAdelaideto Melb.JPG
    CaptureAdelaideto Melb.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 209
I would like also to know if it is currently possible to drive Adel to Melb.
According to Pugshare.com, you could do a full charge at Mitsubishi Administration Building (CHAdeMO DCFC), then outside of Adelaide travelling to Melbourne top up at J1772 EV plug at Organic Market and Café 5 Druid Ave, Stirling then next charge is at Horsham another J1772 15 amp. Distance = 412km. that would be enough to get you to Melbourne.
If anyone has successfully driven this please share your experiences.
15 Amps only gets you 20 Km/h recharge rate at Horsham so you will have to stay overnight you may even need to organise a late check out.

15 Amps only gets you 20 Km/h recharge rate at Horsham so you will have to stay overnight you may even need to organise a late check out.
...especially as the battery would be completely depleted on arrival.

agreed ... but I guess it IS do-able.
So doing the sums... 8 - 9 hours on the road, 15 - 17 hours recharging at Horsham and cost of 1 night's accommodation, you wouldn't make the trip to save time, fuel or airline costs - you *really* want to make the trip in a Tesla.
(I can just hear you say "Yessir, we REALLY want to make the trip in a Tesla..").

If anyone has done this trip, please share your experiences...