Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on a ferry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the proper procedure when going on a ferry for a 12 hour ride?

I mean during a ride where you have no access to the car decks and you stay on the upper decks. I do not want to be called to go switch off the alarm.

My guess is:
1) Alarm off (or maybe just the tilt/intrusion?)
2) Suspension - very high
3) Board
4) Lock the car as usual
5) Drive off
6) Suspension - normal
7) Alarm on

Well I haven't been on a ferry ride that long. I took a ferry ride with my car a while back but didn't do anything special (we did leave the car and go above). Then again the US doesn't have the security package that you apparently have on your EU car.

We were one of the last vehicles on the ferry though and it was a tight fit past the red truck on the left in the photo. Notice how far over the line it is.

IMG_20150508_143956.jpg

Well I haven't been on a ferry ride that long. I took a ferry ride with my car a while back but didn't do anything special (we did leave the car and go above). Then again the US doesn't have the security package that you apparently have on your EU car.

We were one of the last vehicles on the ferry though and it was a tight fit past the red truck on the left in the photo. Notice how far over the line it is.

How come you got a green 85D? :tongue:

The only ferry problem I've heard about was not with a Tesla. Someone with a Prius kept their foot on the brake and ran down the 12V battery so that it would no longer start. I don't believe this is possible to do in a Model S.

I'd think it would be no different then parking the car for 12 hours in a lot somewhere.

You could turn on Energy Saving if you wanted to vampire drain the least during the ride. You'd probably also want to board with a pretty decent charge level..... Gotta be sure to get to your next stop after disembarking. Also by sure you can park the car on the ferry yourself, some only allow their staff to do it...

I did some looking at this for a trip from MN to MI recently. (ended up driving the whole way instead)

-m

I'd think it would be no different then parking the car for 12 hours in a lot somewhere.

You could turn on Energy Saving if you wanted to vampire drain the least during the ride. You'd probably also want to board with a pretty decent charge level..... Gotta be sure to get to your next stop after disembarking. Also by sure you can park the car on the ferry yourself, some only allow their staff to do it...

I did some looking at this for a trip from MN to MI recently. (ended up driving the whole way instead)

-m
You do want the alarm off to avoid triggering it with ship motion. I don't know the details of the U.S. and EU alarm sensors, however. Other cars I've owned have a button to disable the motion sensor for just this reason.

You do want the alarm off to avoid triggering it with ship motion. I don't know the details of the U.S. and EU alarm sensors, however. Other cars I've owned have a button to disable the motion sensor for just this reason.

Exactly! I do not want the ferry motion to trigger the alarm. We are crossing the Baltic sea from Sweden to Latvia for 12 hours. And it could be an issue if I just lock it and go to sleep.

I do believe the EU cars usually have an alarm system with tilt sensors. I paid extra for that and I believe most of the owners in Europe do. I think it was only 400 eur, and often you can not insure without having an alarm.

On a side note: on the ferries in the Baltic sea (which I take regularly every year) one usually parks his own car on the car decks. I have actually never had anyone else do it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

In my US MS I have a Security section with an Alarm on/off switch, but I'm not sure what kind of alarm this car has on it...

In the EU version there is an additional button next to that for switching off "tilt/intrusion" sensors.

- - - Updated - - -

If you ask nicely, most ferries will provide a socket for you to slow charge.

I will try just to see if it will work with Stena Line. I do not actually need the charge.