Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem renewing Texas registration online

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone faced a similar situation:

I am having trouble renewing Texas registration for Model S online:

I am getting following message on TX DMV registration website... Any suggestions...Appreciate your help guys and gals....:smile:

Your Vehicle Does Not Qualify for Online Registration Renewal. Contact Your Local County Tax Assessor-Collector's Office or the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles at 512-465-3000 or toll-free 1-888-DMVGOTX(368-4689) for Further Assistance.

I've renewed mine online twice already, most recently last month. Perhaps check to make sure there isn't a typo in your VIN or license plate number, and that your insurance is listed as valid.

I switched insurance companies in Jan 2015 and also I have not done safety inspection could this be the reason why? I have to call my local county office next week to see what is going on...

I tried to do with my wife's car and despite having same issues as mine it still let's me get in to the system but is asking for safety inspection certificate

Yes with the single sticker the inspection must be completed before you can register.

Inspection and Registration -- Together At Last! | Two Steps. One Sticker. Texas DMV

bollar is correct.

The completed Inspection paperwork must be presented along with insurance and license forms.
My inspection cost $7, done in 5 minutes.
Probably took him longer to remove the old sticker and install the new one than to inspect the car.

Goodbye to double window stickers,
Hello to a single sticker.

Make sure you are getting the correct inspection process -- for a BEV, no emissions testing is required (obviously), so the only portion that the inspection station needs to complete and charge you for is the safety inspection, which is $7.50.

Once your inspection is completed and in the state database, you should then be able to renew the registration online.

I recently had my car inspected but my registration does not expire for a few more months. The inspector told me to keep the paper inspection form because for some reason the safety only inspections do not transmit to the state - he warned me that I may not be able to renew online because the computer does not know the car has been inspected.