Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now shown: Supercharger Maintenance/Closed Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like there is now guidance on when a supercharger is closed. Check it out:

20150702_212613.jpg

There was a similar entry for Corsicana, TX last month when the station was out of service for a week when the power line was cut in a construction accident-- but it didn't communicate with the navigation system so routings were still being given with a stop at the Corsicana supercharger. Tesla said they expect to include that in a navigation update.

This is a great resource if it is kept up to date and accurate. Easy to check before a long multi-supercharger trip to determine if any problems lay ahead. Of course, integrated with the Nav would be preferred. As one of those unlucky few that actually arrived at a non-functioning supercharger, I really appreciate this feature and it takes a load off the mind if you can check on the reliability of the supercharger network.

Visited the Coriscana charger two weekends ago - and only 2 of the 6 charging stations were available. The 1A, 2A and 3A stations were blocked by construction equipment and the 2B station wasn't working. I called Tesla on Friday and notified them of the situation - and on Sunday when I drove back through Corsicana, nothing had changed - and there wasn't any notification in the navigation software about the restrictions at the supercharger.

It should be possible to provide more information about the superchargers on a navigation route - such as how many chargers aren't working and how many chargers are currently being used, with an estimate of when they might be available. Tesla also knows if any cars are near the SC - and needing charge - and could even provide a longer term estimate of charger availability.

I suspect it's just a manual updating of the address in Tesla's system, and is subject to human interaction issues.

I'm waiting for the real-time status of supercharger stalls to appear... "Normal, IL Supercharger: Capacity: 4, Cars connected: 3, Cars charging: 2"

I suspect it's just a manual updating of the address in Tesla's system, and is subject to human interaction issues.

I'm waiting for the real-time status of supercharger stalls to appear... "Normal, IL Supercharger: Capacity: 4, Cars connected: 3, Cars charging: 2"

This would be awesome! Though a lot can change between the time you drive out and see 3 cars charging, to the time you get there and there's a line of 3 cars waiting to charge ;).

A histogram based on time of day/day of week would be cool. Tesla will never do that though. Too complicated. I think Elon was asked once about the latency on the data doing from the SCs and he said it was updated every few minutes.

Drivers at the SC site could also "update" the charging-space status with a simple
graphic application showing the charging spaces with the "empty" or "out of service"
icon, or tesla-charging, or tesla-connected (but not charging) icons. Users at the site
could modify the status to indicate "blocked" (by ICE, parked Tesla, Broken, Other).
This additional input would allow the SC-app to give prospective users a very
good indication of the situation at any SC location.

The available charging spaces could be marked with the kW available at
each unoccupied space, typically approximately 30 to 120 kW depending
upon how the charger is being shared.

In theory, if everyone uses the satnav to get to Superchargers, Tesla can forecast usage in real time and tell us what the likely stall usage will be as we arrive.

Yes, but then people like me will skew this sort of information. I rarely use the navigation system in the car. I will use it to locate a Supercharger the first time I have the occasion to visit it, just to be able to find the precise location. (And even then, I will switch it off until I am within a few miles of my destination.) But future visits for me do not require activating the navigation system unless I have a concern about having enough range in the battery to reach the Supercharger safely and without undue worry. So, I might activate it once or twice during that particular leg and look at the remaining battery estimate (only), but then will cancel the routing.

In theory, if everyone uses the satnav to get to Superchargers, Tesla can forecast usage in real time and tell us what the likely stall usage will be as we arrive.....

Yes, but then people like me will skew this sort of information. I rarely use the navigation system in the car. I will use it to locate a Supercharger the first time ....[snip]

this is less a factor than you might think. the car always knows where it is, what general direction it's been heading and what SoC of the car is. It can make a pretty good guess that you're headed for a supercharger. this can be defeated by various things (e.g. a good friend lives 230 miles away from me, but 10 miles from a SC, and I charge while I sleep instead of killing time at the SC) but the guesses will nevertheless be close enough to be helpful.