Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo - dual charger and software required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I ordered the Chademo adapter and I just tried to pick it up at the Toronto Lawrence location.

1) The guy asked if I understood it would still be slow because I don't have dual chargers.
2) I have to wait a month before they can book the software update / activation.

My understanding from Tesla's website was Chademo bypassed the internal chargers (similar to Supercharging), and my Model S 85 wouldn't need activation because it is already Supercharge enabled. Was I mistaken?

I talked to the new service guy at the dealership. Not Jay or Patricia. So, I am hoping he is mistaken. Otherwise, I may cancel the order if I can't charge any faster than 40A.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

EDIT: Thanks everyone. The adapter was plug-and-play easy. Tested it and got 154km/hr (73a 390v). I hope this post helps others.

Last edited:
That is true.

IMG_1791.JPG

As a side point: A few users of CHAdeMO adapters advised me to use some sort of support for the adapter to avoid placing excessive stress on the charger receptacle in the Tesla. Whether related I do not know but my charging receptacle was recently replaced under warranty. I now use a support for the adapter that i carry in my car. The shipping box for the adapter itself works well so long as one finds a stable location for it to stand. I'm looking for an appropriately sized collapsable stool to use instead, but have not yet found one.

First - dual chargers not required. The charging units are for AC power, CHAdeMO is DC. But, your car must be Supercharger-enabled.

As for the physical support, I wondered about this myself. The design does strike me as funny. But, I'm trusting that Tesla put some thought into this, so I've gone support-free. I've found it to be a non-issue, so far.

Aside, warning: in my experience, CHAdeMO stations are quite unreliable. I've had issues with Fuji and Nissan units, but Fuji in particular. Be careful if you plan on taking a trip that relies on the availability of a single CHAdeMO station. Always have at least one backup option within range. Preferably two.

Otherwise, I may cancel the order if I can't charge any faster than 40A

Chademo is 125A, but the amps are actually irrelevant. (Sort-of).

A built-in standard 40A Model S charger is a 10 kW charger. Chademo is a 50kW charger.

Just logically speaking, there's no way you can push 50kW through even through dual 10kW chargers. It completely has to bypass them, which it does.

CHAdeMO is DC charging. Model S onboard chargers (1 or 2) are for AC charging only, at either 40A or 80A.

Really, all Tesla personnel should know that. As much as I love the company, they really should invest more time in training all the customer-facing employees in the basics of charging the Model S. Of course the CHAdeMO adaptor is new and it appears that some people don't understand it fully. But this stuff is pretty basic EV info.

I have no plans to buy the Tesla CHAdeMO adaptor but have wondered about the effect of the weight of it hanging off the car when plugged in.

As much as I love the company, they really should invest more time in training all the customer-facing employees in the basics of charging the Model S.

No kidding. It's like some of these employees have never experienced a Tesla.

All employees should be given a loaner and told to make a 2 day 600 mile weekend trip, on a route that spans a SuperCharger, a Chademo (if available), a 1772 and a UMC charger (e.g. campground).

Would cost Tesla all of $200 per employee, and they'll learn a lot more than they can ever read in some book.

There is nothing like actual experience. With the rate that Tesla has been expanding it's not surprising that many employees, especially store employees, don't have a good understanding of the car and it's possibilities.

I'm very glad I got the CHAdeMO adapter. There are a lot of chargers in Colorado and I visit about once a month. Note some are relatively slow. There is a free one at the Fort Collins Mall 49A 385v = 64mi/hr. Then at the JAX stores and Museums there are nrgeVgo.com chargers that run at 88A 375v = 123 mi/hr.
Beware some of the chargers auto shut off after 30min, they must only be expecting a Leaf. So you have check back to the station every half hour to restart the charge they can't do it over the phone.

So they are about half the speed of the super chargers and the charge $9 a charge if you don't sign up for card. With a card for a monthly fee $14.95 its $0.10 an hour or $4.95 per session and $0.15 per hour no monthly fee.

IMG_2038.jpg
IMG_2146.jpg
IMG_2031.jpg

ORIGINAL POSTER HERE!!!

Thanks all for the prompt and helpful replies.

I went back to the Toronto showroom and picked up the device. The more senior service guy was there and he was unsure too. He remembers the beta chademo program where the car and device needed matching firmware. So, he agreed this one should be plug-and-play but was worried I was relying on it for a road trip.

I went straight to test it and... SUCCESS!!! I am getting 154km/hr of charge (73a 390v)

I'll let service know next time I see them.

image.jpg

As a side point: A few users of CHAdeMO adapters advised me to use some sort of support for the adapter to avoid placing excessive stress on the charger receptacle in the Tesla. Whether related I do not know but my charging receptacle was recently replaced under warranty. I now use a support for the adapter that i carry in my car. The shipping box for the adapter itself works well so long as one finds a stable location for it to stand. I'm looking for an appropriately sized collapsable stool to use instead, but have not yet found one.
I usually keep this collapsible stool in my wife's wagon for when we're using the roof box. Have a couple stashed around the house too.
Amazon.com: BR Plastics 101-6 White EZ Foldz Step Stool: Automotive