Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Performance with Passengers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of us have seen a lot of drag/performance videos with a single driver against other performance cars with a single driver.

It got me thinking: How would a Model S with 5 occupants fare against other performance cars with 5 occupants? How would the difference in 0-60, 1/8, and quarter mile times change?

Perhaps the best example would be a P85D vs. a Hellcat, with 5 occupants in each car. The P85D has more continuous lower end torque than the Hellcat, but the Hellcat puts out higher peak horsepower (but over shorter RPM bands) once the RPMs climb up.

With one occupant each, a P85D is ahead of the Hellcat at the 60mph mark. What about with 5 occupants? With one occupant if the P85D is 3.1sec to 60mph and the Hellcat is, for instance, 3.3 to 60mph (a delta of 0.2 sec in favor of the P85D), then with 5 occupants I'd guess that 0-60mph time is more like 4.0 sec for the P85D and the Hellcat more like 4.5sec (a delta of 0.5sec in favor of the D).

Similarly, if they are about even at the 1/8 mile mark with 1 occupant, how would things look with 5 occupants? For a quarter mile?

My guess:

0-60: P85D gets relatively faster than the Hellcat with 5 occupants due to low end torque and wide torque band.
Eighth of a mile: Not a huge relative change, because power starts to trail off at higher speeds for the D whereas power really starts kicking in for the Hellcat.
Quarter mile: P85D gets relatively slower than the Hellcat with 5 occupants due to being closer to peak power on the Hellcat.

Conclusion: I want to see a P85D with 5 occupants drag race a Hellcat with 5 occupants. C'mon, YouTube!

+1 Barry.

That said, a fully loaded P85D next to a fully loaded Hellcat with 5 occupants, the hellcat will leaving the P85D standing still if you start the race from a rolling start of 35 mph or more since the hellcat is putting out 125 to 150 hp more to the wheels once it hits it's peak and is already 700 lbs lighter than the P85D.

+1 Barry.

That said, a fully loaded P85D next to a fully loaded Hellcat with 5 occupants, the hellcat will leaving the P85D standing still if you start the race from a rolling start of 35 mph or more since the hellcat is putting out 125 to 150 hp more to the wheels once it hits it's peak and is already 700 lbs lighter than the P85D.

I agree Hellcat would win that one (assuming a very good driver). Of course, with one passenger a Hellcat would probably win most any race starting at 35mph. But I'm interested in the "starting from a stop" scenario, since the P85D actually puts out more peak torque than the Hellcat, and over a wide band at the lower speeds.