Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your Lifetime Wh/km consumption so far?

What is your Lifetime Wh/km consumption so far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be interested to know actual consumption of Model S owners in Australia.
The majority of max speed limits in Australia are 100 km/hr and 110 km/hr which should have a positive effect on range compared to the USA and much of Europe I think.

If you care to add in response what your estimate for city/highway driven (km), would be helpful. (eg. 80% City / 20% Highway)

Hope I have selected reasonable ranges. :smile:

Last edited:
The majority of max speed limits in Australia are 100 km/hr and 110 km/hr which should have a positive effect on range compared to the USA and much of Europe I think.

Obviously I cannot vote because I'm not in OZ. However, I have driven in OZ quite a lot over the years. Thus I have an opinion on brewster's assumption.

I suspect that there are more factors than speed limits in play to improve real world driving of EV's in Australia.
1. Australian drivers are generally far more disciplined and orderly than are those of, say, anywhere in the USA. Specifically lane usage, orderly queuing and driver courtesy are quite stellar, by predominant global standards, at least.
2. Weather conditions in Australia tend to be kind to li-ion battery packs. Just think about how it is for some other Tesla concentrations around the world with Norway, Canada and even perts of California presenting enormous contrasts in heat and cold within normal driving.
3. Most Australian driving is much less hilly than is that of some other popular Tesla concentrations.
4. The traffic jams of many Tesla homes are luckily less common in Australia.

I do not want to overstate those differences, but I would suggest that were there a similar survey examining typical use elsewhere the numbers would be much poorer than in Australia.

FWIW, my 8100km in a P85D, mostly in Florida but with several long trips, has averaged 204 kwh/km.

I will be fascinated to see the results, and equally fascinated to know if you think my assumptions are reasonable.

Obviously I cannot vote because I'm not in OZ. However, I have driven in OZ quite a lot over the years. Thus I have an opinion on brewster's assumption.

I suspect that there are more factors than speed limits in play to improve real world driving of EV's in Australia.
1. Australian drivers are generally far more disciplined and orderly than are those of, say, anywhere in the USA. Specifically lane usage, orderly queuing and driver courtesy are quite stellar, by predominant global standards, at least.
2. Weather conditions in Australia tend to be kind to li-ion battery packs. Just think about how it is for some other Tesla concentrations around the world with Norway, Canada and even perts of California presenting enormous contrasts in heat and cold within normal driving.
3. Most Australian driving is much less hilly than is that of some other popular Tesla concentrations.
4. The traffic jams of many Tesla homes are luckily less common in Australia.

I do not want to overstate those differences, but I would suggest that were there a similar survey examining typical use elsewhere the numbers would be much poorer than in Australia.

FWIW, my 8100km in a P85D, mostly in Florida but with several long trips, has averaged 204 kwh/km.

I will be fascinated to see the results, and equally fascinated to know if you think my assumptions are reasonable.

Thanks for not voting (about half who have voted so far are not OZ anyway). However, I am able to filter the results.
Thanks for adding your assumptions, I am interested to see the results as well.

At just under 1000km since delivery 33 days ago, I am at 182 Wh/Km lifetime. Most of that driving is running errands, with just a couple of 60km drives each way.

I don't think the smile will ever leave my face when I look at the car, let alone drive it!

The big effects will be
1. Climate. Syd/Mel are equivalent to the Tesla hotspots of silicon valley and LA. Brisbane, like Florida, will do better.
2. Average speed for real world driving. My experience of 10 years in silicon valley is half the driving at 65mph getting 190-200 wh/km and the other half the distance on local streets getting 150 wh/km. My experience in Sydney is that the freeways internal to Sydney are slower in no traffic and have much slower traffic than silicon valley. Hence I expect to see many Australians around 170-180 long term.
3. Hilliness doesn't make much difference for round trips. The wealthy areas and commutes in silicon valley are actually more flat and level than equivalent areas of Sydney.

Hi Guys
I am near enough to exactly 220W.Km over 15,000 + Kms (12900mls) but I may well have slipped on speed a few times:rolleyes: I do a run to home each night 36kms and up the mountain ( Mount Dandenong) that contributes to overall average as I dont exactly take all day to do the trip.. The rest is mostly freeways at 100/110kms/hr cruising style.

It IS winter! For the past two days my car has registered 12 degrees inside temp, and when i go to drive it, regen is limited by the yellow dotted line even though my state of charge is around 80%. Takes more than a few klicks to go away too, even though i have heat on high. No doubt having an effect on lifetime and recent ranges and usage.

Gudday Dborn
I have a similar effect here in sunny( well not so sunny) Melbourne. Mornings are typically 4-5-6 Deg C. I call the car at 7:00 and tell it to warm up to 22 Deg C while on Mains. I use the 80% recommended charge up point most of the time. If it happens to have been raining or sleet or snow my auto cruise wont enable for about 5kms after I head off from home and the regen is limited for that first 5 Kms... Not sure why but I haven't worried about the effect as I am usually to bleary eyed to give a rats at that time of day..... And the terrain for my first 5kms is challenging so cruise control is irrelevant. It will be very interesting to see how auto-pilot copes with the mountain goat tracks......

- - - Updated - - -

Gudday Brewster

Nah Ive worked off my racing days years ago mainly with Go Karts. Evolved later to being a pilot but met the girl of dreams and poof- ended the flying ambitions...... Ah Girls and the things we do.....

- - - Updated - - -

Heres a controversial observation I throw in a Barbeques to see what reaction I get mainly from the ladies.

Consider this: When we where young, we ate badly, slept very irregularly, went out every night, chased girls, occasionally got lucky, smoke drank and screwed...... We where skinny then...

Fast forward: We meet a mate.... We drop all this debauchery and settle down, compromise, eat better, sleep better, never go to concerts anymore- now look in the mirror.?

I've had some really interesting reactions... Both good and bad.

The caper has been the first reaction of many friends and acquaintances about meeting Model S... Mostly the guys- WOW what a chick magnet.......:love: My wife does NOT approve....