Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took my car to a local garage and they took it for a spin...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a TPMS alert come up on my screen. After a bit of time looking into it, Tesla said one of my sensors was bad. They shipped me a replacement sensor and asked me to take the car to the garage of my choice to have it installed (they also did recommend one, but it was a bit of a distance away). There is a garage across the street from work, where a bunch of us have taken our cars over the years to get tires swapped. I went over in advance, talked to them about it, and all seemed ok.

Before dropping my car off, I did turn valet mode on. Came back later in the day, got the bill paid (Tesla covered it directly), and went to the car. I noticed the TPMS warning was gone, and that the car had driven 5km. Seemed a bit far for a test drive, but fine. I stepped on it and surprised myself... I had forgot to turn off valet mode. It really does a good job at limiting the fun/performance of the car. With that out of the way, I happened to look at the energy chart. I saw my jump in usage from my 'launch', and then I saw another jump a few KM earlier.... when the garage had my car. Having a dash cam, I proceeded to look at the footage.

First thing I saw was the staff trying (and failing) to figure out how to open the frunk. I believe valet locks the frunk, but from the looks and sounds of it, the staff simply couldn't figure out how to find a button to open it. WHY DID THEY NEED TO LOOK IN THE FRUNK to change a TPMS sensor?!! Arg. Then I watched the test drive... all the staff came out to watch the guy drive around in the parking lot (and I think I even heard someone tell him to back off when he accelerated hard, but it was tough to tell). Anyway, he goes out on the road, and when out of sight of the shop, I hear the faint noise of the car winding up, it looks like he is picking up some speed (but limited due to valet) and the guy says out loud "sure doesn't feel like 600hp", which to me confirmed he tried to do a launch in my car.

I went in and spoke to the manager. He seemed to be upset about the situation (but I couldn't tell if he was upset in being 'busted' or upset that his staff would disrespect him and the customer). I didn't push the issue too far, but he did say the staff member would get a warning and that if similar happened again, he would be fired. What did bug me is the 2nd in command was there as well, and said "there is no reason he would open the hood, I never told him to do that" which is untrue, the video shows this same supervisor telling the guy to try to keyfob. I didn't call that out while talking to them. In the video, the techs response was funny "but the keyfob has no buttons, it is just a toy car, i can't open the hood from it".

I'm tempted to bring it back for a tire change or similar down the road, just to see if the footage shows any improvement, but at the same time, also want to steer clear of that place. I imagine nearly any place may do similar with the car, arg.

...Anyway, he goes out on the road, and when out of sight of the shop, I hear the faint noise of the car winding up, it looks like he is picking up some speed (but limited due to valet) and the guy says out loud "sure doesn't feel like 600hp", which to me confirmed he tried to do a launch in my car.

Maybe the dash should pop up a message if someone floors it while in valet mode, something like Valet Mode activated: 100hp available (with a smiley face).

You should have told them in advance, that you have a dashcam and that you will monitor your car via the phone app. Then you should do a demonstration, like honking the horn via the phone and so on.

They would have never tried anything out of the ordinary had they known, they were being monitored.

I had a TPMS alert come up on my screen. After a bit of time looking into it, Tesla said one of my sensors was bad. They shipped me a replacement sensor and asked me to take the car to the garage of my choice to have it installed (they also did recommend one, but it was a bit of a distance away). There is a garage across the street from work, where a bunch of us have taken our cars over the years to get tires swapped. I went over in advance, talked to them about it, and all seemed ok.

Before dropping my car off, I did turn valet mode on. Came back later in the day, got the bill paid (Tesla covered it directly), and went to the car. I noticed the TPMS warning was gone, and that the car had driven 5km. Seemed a bit far for a test drive, but fine. I stepped on it and surprised myself... I had forgot to turn off valet mode. It really does a good job at limiting the fun/performance of the car. With that out of the way, I happened to look at the energy chart. I saw my jump in usage from my 'launch', and then I saw another jump a few KM earlier.... when the garage had my car. Having a dash cam, I proceeded to look at the footage.

First thing I saw was the staff trying (and failing) to figure out how to open the frunk. I believe valet locks the frunk, but from the looks and sounds of it, the staff simply couldn't figure out how to find a button to open it. WHY DID THEY NEED TO LOOK IN THE FRUNK to change a TPMS sensor?!! Arg. Then I watched the test drive... all the staff came out to watch the guy drive around in the parking lot (and I think I even heard someone tell him to back off when he accelerated hard, but it was tough to tell). Anyway, he goes out on the road, and when out of sight of the shop, I hear the faint noise of the car winding up, it looks like he is picking up some speed (but limited due to valet) and the guy says out loud "sure doesn't feel like 600hp", which to me confirmed he tried to do a launch in my car.

I went in and spoke to the manager. He seemed to be upset about the situation (but I couldn't tell if he was upset in being 'busted' or upset that his staff would disrespect him and the customer). I didn't push the issue too far, but he did say the staff member would get a warning and that if similar happened again, he would be fired. What did bug me is the 2nd in command was there as well, and said "there is no reason he would open the hood, I never told him to do that" which is untrue, the video shows this same supervisor telling the guy to try to keyfob. I didn't call that out while talking to them. In the video, the techs response was funny "but the keyfob has no buttons, it is just a toy car, i can't open the hood from it".

I'm tempted to bring it back for a tire change or similar down the road, just to see if the footage shows any improvement, but at the same time, also want to steer clear of that place. I imagine nearly any place may do similar with the car, arg.[/QUO
TE]

wow.. Let me tell you for one thing. I would be pissed. I would have lost it! Great story.

Why drop the car off for a simple fix. I'd wait with it and oversee the guys. You know they would want to drive it. You could have told them up front that you put it into "slow mode" so they would not even consider driving it and doing a launch. Also, when dropping it off, explain you have the mileage and there is NO REASON to drive the car other than back it out of the bay. By not setting boundaries, we set ourselves up for abuse.

I'm tempted to bring it back for a tire change or similar down the road, just to see if the footage shows any improvement, but at the same time, also want to steer clear of that place. I imagine nearly any place may do similar with the car, arg.

OMG! That is too funny. Please upload it to youtube so we can all watch. I'll bet it goes viral.

- - - Updated - - -

I remove the wheels and bring them that.

Yup, because do you really think that they didn't lift from the edge of the batter rather than the abs lift rail where you're supposed to put the pad? I'll bet if you look under the car now you'll see dents on the battery plate in 4 spots next to where the lift pads went.

With the exception of the Tesla service center, no valet or auto service shop will ever drive my car without me being in it or having it visible in my sight.

I have to agree with everyone that you showed a high level of restraint. I probably would not have been as nice after the other manager lied.

You should contact Tesla so they know not to recommend this location again. They obviously cannot be trusted since their management is part of the problem.

I took my P85 in to get new TPMS sensors and had my 4 year old with me, so walked with him down to a restaurant down the street while they worked. When finished, I watched them bring the car up to 70+ mph on a 45 mph road, and they gunned it pretty good. Even got screenshots on my phone--So I know what this feels like.

Now that Valet mode is out, when I give a shop my car, I tell them "I've got valet mode enabled which limits the power of the car. Is that going to be a problem?"

That way I tell them about valet mode without sounding "prematurely accusatory", and since I've told them that power is limited, they're less likely to try to test performance limits.

But yes. Post a terrible review. Never go back there. Tell others who might consider going there. But most importantly, please post the video. We want to see it!