Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Defective cowling Tesla says not fixable - new 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody else noticed this? Tesla is telling me all new Model S cars made today have this defect, and there's nothing they can do about it. The service center says they have opened some sort of case with Tesla about it, but right now the answer is "tough luck". Its stunning to me, because in all the years I've owned cars I've never had a car company tell me its car has a defect and it is unfixable. No resolution is available. No ETA for fixing. No promise to fix it. Just "sorry", its defective and that's life!

This is under the frunk. The cowling goes all the way across the car. It snaps into place and on the driver's side it fits and is attached, but as shown below on the passenger side it is detached and cannot be snapped in. There is a tab, and there is a hole in the plastic piece below it where the tab goes, but no amount of pushing or smacking will get it to lock into place.

Here is the response from an email they sent me today:

"This is something that we have seen throughout our line of Tesla Model S vehicles, both new and old. We have opened a concern to voice your opinion of Tesla’s design preventing our under hood panels being completely flush. I apologize about not being able to fulfill your request of sending your vehicle back to Fremont to be fixed being that there is currently no part or solution that can be retrofitted to your vehicle."

Notice that Tesla is minimizing the problem - reducing it to a part that is "not completely flush". That's not the issue at all. The issue is the part is not attached at all on the left side. Its hanging loose, and may come off completely eventually.

I do not have the car right now - Tesla is fixing several other issues that were defective when they delivered the car. Hoping to have it back tomorrow, and if so I can post more pictures showing the tab, and where it should snap into place but won't.

Tesla defenders - go for it!!! LOL!

If anybody has had this fixed by their (hopefully more helpful) service center, I would be eternally grateful for a reference, phone number of the center, or any other info you can provide (which is why I'm posting and what this forum should be all about).

piece under hood 2.jpg

Is that black circular piece holding the piece of trim to the left of the red circle down? My car has different pieces (older car), but both hover about an inch above the rubber tray beneath them. Looks like the piece with the black circle, to the left of your red outline, is pushed down into the rubber tray. That piece on my car has legs that support it from getting pushed down like that.

frunk trim.jpg

I have a late 2013 car (which does not have this misalignment, first pic) and mine does not have the black circle on the panel closest to the hood hinge. I suspect the circle helps hold the panel down, and I was curious if it just held it down lower. So I pushed the piece closest to the hinge down with my finger (second pic) and sure enough I can cause the same thing you are seeing. I wouldn't really be worried about this, but if you are maybe you can adjust the black circle by adding a shim under the panel (if the circle is in fact a hold-down of some type). I imagine something like this will be provided by Tesla eventually. They are pretty good about fixing these type of things.

No_Press.jpg
Press.jpg

Is that black circular piece holding the piece of trim to the left of the red circle down? My car has different pieces (older car), but both hover about an inch above the rubber tray beneath them. Looks like the piece with the black circle, to the left of your red outline, is pushed down into the rubber tray. That piece on my car has legs that support it from getting pushed down like that.

View attachment 86078

Thanks for posting a pic of your car. I had a 2013 Model S and I know it did not stick up like my new one, and your pic confirms it. And its interesting to see the round piece you asked about. I think you're right - it probably is holding it down. I'll look more closely when I pick my car up tomorrow (hopefully, but not yet certain).

- - - Updated - - -

Poorly done. But besides cosmetics, does this effect the vehicle in any other way?

Absolutely not. But who can say in 5 years? That's what concerns me - what if that cowling comes completely off and Tesla wants to charge me to replace/repair it then? I can't believe it is a good design for the long term, and it won't be a problem in the future. That's why I'm trying to get it fixed now. I'm still stunned I'm getting the response I'm getting.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a late 2013 car (which does not have this misalignment, first pic) and mine does not have the black circle on the panel closest to the hood hinge. I suspect the circle helps hold the panel down, and I was curious if it just held it down lower. So I pushed the piece closest to the hinge down with my finger (second pic) and sure enough I can cause the same thing you are seeing. I wouldn't really be worried about this, but if you are maybe you can adjust the black circle by adding a shim under the panel (if the circle is in fact a hold-down of some type). I imagine something like this will be provided by Tesla eventually. They are pretty good about fixing these type of things.

Sweet! If you put your finger over to the right and push down on the piece that I am concerned about, does it push down? And does it have a tab on the bottom of it that looks like it should be inserted into the plastic piece below it? Thanks so much for your response.

- - - Updated - - -

The hood covers it when it is closed, right? It doesn't vibrate when you drive, right? Doesn't seem like a big issue to me.

Well, to each his own. I bought a new car, and I expected all its parts to be connected/attached properly. I realize you want to defend Tesla, and I do the same thing sometimes. But arguing a new car shouldn't be right strikes me as going too far. But again, more power to you and your right to your opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I'll bite-- Maybe it's because it doesn't affect the function of the car, so it's at the bottom of the priority list of an engineering staff without unlimited resources?

I've got no problem with that argument. Here's my problem: IF (and we do not know this so maybe its not true) Tesla knows this is an issue, and they don't have time to fix it on every car they've made, THEN the honest, decent response is to say "Gee, sorry but this plastic piece isn't doing what we wanted it to do, and we can't fix it right now, but we acknowledge it is wrong and we agree it should be fixed and you have a right to be bothered by it and we will fix it withing 6 months", or something like that.

IF (again we do not know what's going on so this might not be true) they know its a problem and they're taking the GM approach - deny, deceive, lie and avoid, well that's a whole different kettle of fish.

UPDATE:
Just got a call from the Houston Service Center (think his name was Rick - he said we hadn't spoken before).

New Story:
This is the best I can explain it - I didn't tape the call, but he said something like this:
"It is SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY. It must be loose so that "first responders" to an accident can open the panel, pull up a cable, and cut it"

My personal feeling is Tesla saw my posts here and on Facebook and wanted a new excuse. The one I quoted in my post above came directly from the email they sent me today. Three people at Tesla told me the same thing. Then I post here and on Facebook, and suddenly I get a call from "Rick" and the panel is supposed to be that way.

If that's true, why didn't Adam, the first tech who looked at the car when I dropped it off tell me the "first responders" story?

Why didn't the service manager tell me that story when I called him after Adam gave me his response that it was "unfixable"?

Why did I only get the "first responders" story just now?

Last edited:
Isn't that what they said in their message to you, minus the we fill fix it in 6 months, since they are aware but don't have a solution, it's hard to say they will fix it in 6 months. You have it noted in your service record, so if something goes wrong later, you can comment and say you've raised this since day one and everyone is aware. Kind of like the curling of the door seals that expose the cloth roofs. They know it, they haven't fixed it, the car doesn't perform differently.

"This is something that we have seen throughout our line of Tesla Model S vehicles, both new and old. We have opened a concern to voice your opinion of Tesla’s design preventing our under hood panels being completely flush. I apologize about not being able to fulfill your request of sending your vehicle back to Fremont to be fixed being that there is currently no part or solution that can be retrofitted to your vehicle."

I've got no problem with that argument. Here's my problem: IF (and we do not know this so maybe its not true) Tesla knows this is an issue, and they don't have time to fix it on every car they've made, THEN the honest, decent response is to say "Gee, sorry but this plastic piece isn't doing what we wanted it to do, and we can't fix it right now, but we acknowledge it is wrong and we agree it should be fixed and you have a right to be bothered by it and we will fix it withing 6 months", or something like that.

IF (again we do not know what's going on so this might not be true) they know its a problem and they're taking the GM approach - deny, deceive, lie and avoid, well that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Isn't that what they said in their message to you, minus the we fill fix it in 6 months, since they are aware but don't have a solution, it's hard to say they will fix it in 6 months. You have it noted in your service record, so if something goes wrong later, you can comment and say you've raised this since day one and everyone is aware. Kind of like the curling of the door seals that expose the cloth roofs. They know it, they haven't fixed it, the car doesn't perform differently.

No, it isn't. Sorry I can't convey to you the entire conversation from each phone call or what they said to me when I was there. But no, they certainly didn't say "Yes this is a problem we need to fix". In the red text above all they're saying is they've seen it before. They also say they "opened a concern" whatever that means. But I had to insist on that. They didn't volunteer to do it. I requested they take my car back to CA and fix it there, if they can't fix it locally, while giving me a loaner in the meantime. No, the attitude they had from the start was - this is not a problem and we're not going to do anything about it.

Relax and have some Respect

Having worked at dealership service centers in the past, it sickens me how you are coming off to them. Understand service centers do not build the car, they only fix them. But they can only fix it for you if they are supplied a new/redesigned part. However, the manufacturer is not going to redesign it IF in fact, it is meant for easy access for first responders. Have you ever been in a bad accident before? Damage to your front end? The very first thing they do is disconnect the battery for yours and their safety. I actually went thru that about 6 months ago in MY car! In a fully electric car, you DEFINITELY need to cut access to the batteries and fast. It really doesn't matter the reason the service center gives you. If there isn't a fix, there isn't a fix. If it isn't safety related, it is not on a list of priorities for the manufacture either. Now is that the real reason it is ill-fitting? :confused: Who knows, but I'm glad my first responders didn't struggle in doing their job. I doubt they come across Teslas everyday. Is everyone in the service center aware of the exact reason for every part design? Doubtful....but sounds like they are researching it and trying to help.

Been there, done that and SO GLAD I'm out of the auto service business because you simply can't please everyone.

You actually asked them to send your car to CA??? For THAT?? :scared: You're one of THOSE guys...please just be realistic and have some respect for those who put up with you.

UPDATE:
Just got a call from the Houston Service Center (think his name was Rick - he said we hadn't spoken before).

New Story:
This is the best I can explain it - I didn't tape the call, but he said something like this:
"It is SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY. It must be loose so that "first responders" to an accident can open the panel, pull up a cable, and cut it"

My personal feeling is Tesla saw my posts here and on Facebook and wanted a new excuse. The one I quoted in my post above came directly from the email they sent me today. Three people at Tesla told me the same thing. Then I post here and on Facebook, and suddenly I get a call from "Rick" and the panel is supposed to be that way.

First Responder Site: First Responders | Tesla Motors

Guides are linked there.

I can see how it should be raised (so a guy in a hurry with gloves on could quickly detach it). I can't see why the two parts should not be level.

Having worked at dealership service centers in the past, it sickens me how you are coming off to them. Understand service centers do not build the car, they only fix them. But they can only fix it for you if they are supplied a new/redesigned part. However, the manufacturer is not going to redesign it IF in fact, it is meant for easy access for first responders. Have you ever been in a bad accident before? Damage to your front end? The very first thing they do is disconnect the battery for yours and their safety. I actually went thru that about 6 months ago in MY car! In a fully electric car, you DEFINITELY need to cut access to the batteries and fast. It really doesn't matter the reason the service center gives you. If there isn't a fix, there isn't a fix. If it isn't safety related, it is not on a list of priorities for the manufacture either. Now is that the real reason it is ill-fitting? :confused: Who knows, but I'm glad my first responders didn't struggle in doing their job. I doubt they come across Teslas everyday. Is everyone in the service center aware of the exact reason for every part design? Doubtful....but sounds like they are researching it and trying to help.

Been there, done that and SO GLAD I'm out of the auto service business because you simply can't please everyone.

You actually asked them to send your car to CA??? For THAT?? :scared: You're one of THOSE guys...please just be realistic and have some respect for those who put up with you.

If I was disrespectful to anyone at Tesla I would agree with you completely. I was courteous and polite in every conversation. If refusing to believe a BS explanation is disrespectful, oh well, I'm guilty.

I also agree my car isn't going to CA for a plastic piece that sticks up too far. I said that to make the point to them that they weren't getting. And still aren't getting. If the car is broke, they have total and complete responsibility to fix it. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. I did not sign ANYTHING that says "if some of the parts on your car are broken, but they aren't too bad, we don't have to fix them".

Is there a lawyer in the house? Is there some sort of "reasonable" test?

If you were standing at the drivers side of my car, and you squatted down next to the driver's door and looked really close at the paint, and felt it with your hand, you would see a defect in the paint. Its like there's a piece of dirt that got painted into the car. The only way Tesla could fix it would be to re-paint the door. Now that would be ridiculous. Its a defect, but it can't be seen unless you're making a concerted effort to find it. I only found it because I used a clay bar to clean the car the day after I got it, before I waxed it. I have never mentioned this to Tesla or anyone else before. I acknowledge the car cannot be "perfect in every detail".

So, no, I'm NOT one of THOSE guys. The cowling on my car is defective and Tesla should replace it or repair it. There really is no argument here, that I can see. Why Tesla is stonewalling me on it is what I can't figure out. If its a basic flaw in the design, which Tesla seemed to admit to, before starting with the bologna about "first responder access", then they should just say that (which I already said in a post above).

- - - Updated - - -

SWEET!!!!

THATS HOW I WANT MINE TO LOOK!!!

No that black circular piece is not holding anything down. It's just a rubber cover for a hole that goes through that piece. There's a hole underneath in the piece below it as well. I've got no idea what the purpose of the hole is for.

For what it's worth my February 2015 85D does not have a problem. The panels line up flush.