Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coolant pump running all night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks:
It's pretty hot in my garage (95+ F) and the coolant pump in my Roadster ran all night and is still running. Is that normal?
Thanks.

Seems to be. Mine ran for a couple of days last week after driving home, uphill, in mid-90's afternoon heat. I didn't think the ESS would be so well insulated or thermally massive that it would stay that warm for that long, but it kept humming. Next time I took the car to work (and a standard charge), upon returning home I gave it about an hour's charge at 240v, 24A, in RANGE mode, then stopped it. The end result was a pack with slightly less than a full STANDARD mode charge, and because the Range charge puts priority on cooling the pack first, when I unplugged everything, the pump turned off too. Yea!

The pump will stop running when the battery gets below 31 degrees C. (There is mention of this temperature buried in some thread that I saw a while ago.) I was having the same issue, and when I saw the temp. was at 32, I charged a bit more at low amperage, (just a couple miles worth), which got the pack down to 30, and presto, the pump turned off.

Seems to be. Mine ran for a couple of days last week after driving home, uphill, in mid-90's afternoon heat. I didn't think the ESS would be so well insulated or thermally massive that it would stay that warm for that long, but it kept humming. Next time I took the car to work (and a standard charge), upon returning home I gave it about an hour's charge at 240v, 24A, in RANGE mode, then stopped it. The end result was a pack with slightly less than a full STANDARD mode charge, and because the Range charge puts priority on cooling the pack first, when I unplugged everything, the pump turned off too. Yea!

My pump was running for a long time.. the i realized one of the back doors was not closed properly..

My pump would run 24x7 off and on. Sometimes the temperature would be warm enough to warrant it, however, I have found that my driver side outer taillight would be dimly lit in my garage when the car is off. Rockville SC shrugged it off last Fall. Tysons SC shrugged it off last week until I heavily influenced the techs to cup their hands around their eyes and the light to see the dim glow. They saw it and after 5 days of troubleshooting and part ordering, the answer is a new taillight. Heard a special Roadster tech from Jersey came down to Tysons and within minutes said "order a new taillight".

Longwinded way of sharing that my pump had been running continuously on days when my taillight was faulting.