Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the deal with all these hotel destination chargers showing on my nav?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The hotel owns them. Tesla gave them a deal on the equipment, and the hotel pays for installation and electricity insurance, maintenance and parking space.

I am installing a few chargers in a new office building I'm moving into. Here's the deal that Tesla Destination quoted me. I assume this applies to hotels as well:

Thank you for contacting Destination Charging and for your interest in hosting charging equipment at your new office space.
If you’re willing to make the charging equipment available to more than just the company executives, Tesla is able to offer the property as many free Tesla Wall Connectors (Tesla Connectors) as you would like to host so long as the following requirements are met:

1. There is a minimum of 2 Tesla Connectors installed at the site.
  2. Each connector is installed on a minimum 40-amp dedicated circuit breaker.
  3. The property agrees to be published on our Find Us page (www.teslamotors.com/findus) and be listed as "Available for the public.”
  4. The property agrees to pay for installation of the connectors and the ongoing electricity (an average installation cost is about $1,500 per station and ongoing electricity averages at $1 per hour of use).

It should be a win/win. Tesla drivers get more places to charge overnight on trips and the hotels get more business. The locations with HPWCs are on the "find us" map on the Tesla web site, on Plugshare, and in the car navigation system, all ways to make the availability of destination charging known. Did you have an issue with that, or am I misinterpreting your post?

More info about destination charging here:
Destination Charging | Tesla Motors

It should be a win/win. Tesla drivers get more places to charge overnight on trips and the hotels get more business. The locations with HPWCs are on the "find us" map on the Tesla web site, on Plugshare, and in the car navigation system, all ways to make the availability of destination charging known. Did you have an issue with that, or am I misinterpreting your post?

I think he's questioning if the chargers are for guests only or if non-guests can use them as well. From what I've heard, it depends on the hotel. Some hotels only allow it if you stay the night. Others allow it if you eat at the restaurant. Yet others allow charging if you pay a nominal fee.

I'm trying to understand why, if I'm traveling and seeking a charge, would Tesla suggest a location that could have a huge stipulation such as - must book a room. ? ! And without an easy way to confirm this without calling each hotel.

The destination charger at the Four Seasons in downtown Denver will let non-guests charge, but they charge the valet fee ($20 IIRC) if you don't stay the night.

A lot are for patrons only, but I've come across a few that are open to the public. Sometimes if a hotel has a restaurant, they'll let you charge while you have a meal. Always best to ask first.

I'm trying to understand why, if I'm traveling and seeking a charge, would Tesla suggest a location that could have a huge stipulation such as - must book a room. ? ! And without an easy way to confirm this without calling each hotel.

Why does it matter? You should appreciate inclusion of the additional charging options. Glass half full, remember? And if you don't like it, just turn it off by touching the lightning bolt button. If you need a charge at one of those locations, then call ahead. The phone number is right there for you. Or is that too much trouble?

Because it's not for you traveling and seeking a charge, it's for destination charging -- at your destination, for example you're looking for a hotel to spend the night and charge your car.

If you're traveling and seeking a charge, you can search on plugshare.

And if you don't want to see the destination charging options:

You can click the charging lighting bolt in the top right corner, and they'll go away (the bolt turns from blue to grey)

I am a part of that program with 2 HPWC's listed on the site for clients only, but if you call me and I am in town, I will allow charging at no Fee (Free). Tesla did not put any stipulations on the owners when they were given for Destination Charging.

Last edited:
...and the destination charging works for me. I was in Florida last weekend headed home to Virginia. I observed a destination charger at the Westin Hilton Head. Click navigate, call hotel, make reservation, and I let the car charge at the hotel overnight skipping the Savannah SuC stop. I do notice the Tesla Destination Chargers tend to be in nice places, at least over here on the East coast.

...and the destination charging works for me. I was in Florida last weekend headed home to Virginia. I observed a destination charger at the Westin Hilton Head. Click navigate, call hotel, make reservation, and I let the car charge at the hotel overnight skipping the Savannah SuC stop. I do notice the Tesla Destination Chargers tend to be in nice places, at least over here on the East coast.

I'm sure most of the budget motels don't think it's worth the cost to install a HPWC at their location.

And when you tap the icon, it should give you this, right? (you shouldn't need to call):

The Gables.JPG

That's the connection I wasn't making. New terminology. For a new owner it's easy to think anything the car suggests is part of the Tesla network and without restrictions.

The symbol is different from the red supercharger icon. Tap the symbol and you'll get the details. It does have contact info and if it's for patrons only or not, but mostly it's there for navigation and the idea is you would have planned your overnight stop or other long charging stop before you start your trip. Destinations install the HPWCs to attract business, so I wouldn't begrudge them for restricting it to customers.