Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Verizon Nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw another thread about Verizon and decided to vent myself.

I had a billing nightmare with Verizon. I ordered 3 upgrade phones from Costco and decided to cancel before they were shipped. Costco said since the order was already in processing to refuse the shipment and they would credit me and notify the carrier of the return. I refused the shipment, Costco credited me but Verizon ended up hounding me with 6 to 8 collection calls per day trying trying to collect $1,200 for early termination fees. This went on for 2 months. First I disputed the $1,200 with my credit card company. Then they just charged my card again. I then blocked Verizon from charging my card. Prior to their collection calls, I called customer service 4 times. Each time I was on the phone at least 45 minutes. Each time the representative could see the error but didn't have the authority to correct it. Each time the representative said they would call me back by the next day. They never did. When I would try to explain to the collection dept I was told we only do collections, not customer service.

I sent a letter to Verizon detailing my ordeal and included a bill for all my wasted time and their harassment. Little over a month later they credited my account for all but $2.90. They won't ever see the $2.90 and they won't ever see me as a customer.

Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear it. I really find it frustrating when companies don't empower their employees to be able to fix customer problems. While I hate the promise of call backs that never occur, I can sympathize a bit with these employees because there is nothing they can do. They just want to get you off the phone and make you someone else's problem.

I had a billing nightmare with Verizon. I ordered 3 upgrade phones from Costco and decided to cancel before they were shipped. Costco said since the order was already in processing to refuse the shipment and they would credit me and notify the carrier of the return. I refused the shipment, Costco credited me but Verizon ended up hounding me with 6 to 8 collection calls per day trying trying to collect $1,200 for early termination fees.

Honestly, I think you were asking for a problem when you cancelled an order that was already en route. Just my 2c.

I saw another thread about Verizon and decided to vent myself.

I had a billing nightmare with Verizon. I ordered 3 upgrade phones from Costco and decided to cancel before they were shipped. Costco said since the order was already in processing to refuse the shipment and they would credit me and notify the carrier of the return. I refused the shipment, Costco credited me but Verizon ended up hounding me with 6 to 8 collection calls per day trying trying to collect $1,200 for early termination fees. This went on for 2 months. First I disputed the $1,200 with my credit card company. Then they just charged my card again. I then blocked Verizon from charging my card. Prior to their collection calls, I called customer service 4 times. Each time I was on the phone at least 45 minutes. Each time the representative could see the error but didn't have the authority to correct it. Each time the representative said they would call me back by the next day. They never did. When I would try to explain to the collection dept I was told we only do collections, not customer service.

I sent a letter to Verizon detailing my ordeal and included a bill for all my wasted time and their harassment. Little over a month later they credited my account for all but $2.90. They won't ever see the $2.90 and they won't ever see me as a customer.

No question that Verizon screwed you. Realistically any large corporation could have done the same thing. You were caught in a computer billing loop. I think most of us in the US has had a similar experience from one major corporation or another. Hopefully they haven't made a claim that has affected your credit report. If I were you, I'd check that immediately to confirm you haven't been hit there as well. You were called by the "collections" department. That is a major warning sign to me.

I've been in your shoes, it sucks. I ordered patio furniture from sears (online order), get to the store, and it's cheaper there. The store told me to cancel my online order (which was in transit) and just buy it in store. I did.

I was charged for both sets, and it took 3 weeks to get my money back. I called almost daily for 3 weeks, the store said there's nothing they can do since it's an online order, the online department said nothing they can do since they shipped the item to the store! Escalated it to the highest level of management, and still nothing (next level is corporate, sorry, we can't connect you).

After I requested a charge-back on my CC, and filed a BBB complaint, got an email from corporate within 24 hours apologizing, refunding me the money and offering a $25 gift card for my headache (which they never send me!).

Lesson learned, never cancel an online order after it ships...

This should have been worked through Costco, IMHO.

I emailed back and forth with Costco at least 8 times. This was their last response:

Our records indicate that your return was received in our distribution center and processed on 12/19/14. We contacted your carrier on 12/24/14, and another request was sent on 1/15/2015. After researching your order and associated account that was closed with Verizon Wireless, we show that all charges and ETF's have been waived.

In regards to your charge of $1,201.44 from Verizon Wireless, please contact them about reimbursing you for those charges.