Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are other postings, but would like to share this with Tesla HK owner.

Today I experienced the second time with my charge port not being able to be opened. The first time, I waited for 5 - 10 minutes, and somehow it worked again. Today, it won't. Got really fed-up with it, and called the tech support.

Tech support staff is very helpful and share a trick :-

Press the button on the charger (the one you normally use to open the charge port).
While the button is being pressed (yes, hold on to the button and don't let go), your other hand then press on the right side of the charge port cover. this means the end towards the rear of the vehicle.

The charge port door opens.

Apparently, a new software update will address this problem, but a) not sure when; b) the staff won't put you on priority list; c) the problem was reported months (if not year) ago, it took so long for a software update.

Anyway, it solves the problem for time being.

I know there are other postings, but would like to share this with Tesla HK owner.

Today I experienced the second time with my charge port not being able to be opened. The first time, I waited for 5 - 10 minutes, and somehow it worked again. Today, it won't. Got really fed-up with it, and called the tech support.

Tech support staff is very helpful and share a trick :-

Press the button on the charger (the one you normally use to open the charge port).
While the button is being pressed (yes, hold on to the button and don't let go), your other hand then press on the right side of the charge port cover. this means the end towards the rear of the vehicle.

The charge port door opens.

Apparently, a new software update will address this problem, but a) not sure when; b) the staff won't put you on priority list; c) the problem was reported months (if not year) ago, it took so long for a software update.

Anyway, it solves the problem for time being.

I've this problem too. My "trick" when this happens is pressing the rear hatch section / button on my remote key (which unlocks the charge port magnet switch) and at the same time gently use and insert a credit card into the port hatch to "wedge" it opened.

I think and observed this is due to poor panel fit, the port hatch is fitted too tightly with the surrounding body panel. Not sure how a software update will help... Though I plan to fix this next time I visit service center.

What type of disc? Can you post a picture and link to the product?

Thin chair leg pads will work. HK$10 for a dozen.

2015-Hot-50Pcs-Round-Shaped-Table-font-b-Chair-b-font-Furniture-font-b-Leg-b.jpg

Is this a known fault to Tesla service centre? If yes, do they take any action? I suppose it should be their responsibility to fix it up. Of course, it is our own curiosity to look for self solution here.

The software update is done. According to the message, the update does not seem to be related to the charge port issue. Agree with Blue_model_S, tesla should be responsible. However, they should get the technician to come to us and not the other way round.

The software update is done. According to the message, the update does not seem to be related to the charge port issue. Agree with Blue_model_S, tesla should be responsible. However, they should get the technician to come to us and not the other way round.

They send someone to pick up your car and then deliver it after they are done servicing. If you're willing to wait, they might even give you a loaner.
Please name one other car dealer in Hong Kong that does all that. For free.

They send someone to pick up your car and then deliver it after they are done servicing. If you're willing to wait, they might even give you a loaner.
Please name one other car dealer in Hong Kong that does all that. For free.

Agree @AppleFan, I enjoyed (P85+) loaner once, they also offered to pick up my car at work but since I was quite remote and didn't want to go home by public transport so I decided to spend time consuming their coffee/ice cream waiting at the shop!