Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing footwell standard light fixtures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to remove the standard footwell lights as described in many forum entries using a flat head screwdriver but am having a really hard time. The pastic fittings don't seem to move and I'm afraid I'm going to break something. Can someone who has already done this give me some tips ? Thanks so much !

Its really easy. They are in there solidly but if you get a smaller screwdriver head, like something you use for computers it will be easier. On one side of the lights you should feel a slight indentation or gap, the screwdriver or pick should fit in there and then its just a matter of wiggling and popping it out.

Its really easy. They are in there solidly but if you get a smaller screwdriver head, like something you use for computers it will be easier. On one side of the lights you should feel a slight indentation or gap, the screwdriver or pick should fit in there and then its just a matter of wiggling and popping it out.

thanks Notacarguy - I will give it another try : ). I did at first try it with a small srewdriver but then moved to a bigger one thinking that would make it easier. Having to do this bent in half on the floor of the car does not help either : )

Sorry to have no helpful advice... but I am quite curious what your plans are. I was going to try to fit something like this:

Amazon.com: 4pc. Blue LED Interior Underdash Lighting Kit: Automotive

There are several threads where we express disappointment that the "premium cabin lighting" or whatever it was titled when we were sold isn't as premium as we were expecting....

Please show off when you are done!

It seems like all Tesla clip connectors (panels, lights, etc) are much harder to remove than any other car I have worked on. But with gentle persistence, they will all give. It definitely feels like I am about to break a clip. But I have had no problem yet. I replaced the footwell lighting in the cabin and the trunk/frunk lights with 6" white LED strips and the entire cost for a total of six lights was a whopping $15. No complaints.