Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in France (roadtrip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am a happy new owner of a grey 85D! I live in the Netherlands and I am planning a roadtrip to the north of France and therefore looking for information on charging on the go in France. I have a CHAdeMO adapter as well as a type 2 adapter. What is the best application/website for charging points in France? More importantly, I'd like to know how to pay for those chargers (especially CHAdeMO)? Do I need subscription? Are there free ones?

I've checked CHAdeMO website and a bunch of other websites, but I couldn't find information on how to pay for electricity at those chargers. For the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany I have the New Motion card and that is really convenient. Any info is much appreciated!

Hi Johnnny

I live in the north of France (Lille) and drive a 85.
Unfortunately, the north of France is not (yet?) equipped with Tesla SC. The closest are Calais (for our british friends when they go back home...), Nivelles and Gent (in Belgium) and Senlis (on the motorway to Paris).
To find alternative (ChaDeMo and type 2) chargepoints, the best website is chargemap.com, and the companion app.
Many stores (Ikea, Auchan and Leclerc supermarkets, cinemas, ...) offer free charge as a "greenifier" for their public image. Sometimes, even if free, you need a card to access the place (so it is never ICEd). See KiWhi card.

Where and when do you plan to travel? I can give you some feedback about Lille area.

Hi JFoX,

Thanks for the reply and advice about IKEA and the other stores! I don't have any specific plans yet but next week I will have 4-5 days of holiday and I would like to take my Model S out on a road trip somewhere in the countryside of Northern France. I will definitely pass through Lille and can go through Normandy to as far as Caen, Rennes. Any recommendations are more than welcome :) I like nature, beaches and good food (I guess there is plenty of the latter in France).
How can I purchase a KiWhi card? I tried their website but it requires an address in France and I couldn't register. Is it possible to purchase it once I'm in France?

How can I purchase a KiWhi card? I tried their website but it requires an address in France and I couldn't register. Is it possible to purchase it once I'm in France?

A number of people have reported success by inserting the KiWhi head office address in the order form, then sending them an email to say where you actually want it sent.