Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 vs 2015 Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has a test car out in the wild with at least 6 cameras attached to it. A new stereoscopic camera where the current Autopilot camera resides, several others to look left and right, another camera underneath each side view mirror, and possibly some rear cameras as well (couldn't tell from the photo). A photo of that test mule was posted here in another thread. I think it's fair to say that the Autopilot hardware is going to see a major upgrade shortly. Model X will surely sport a more comprehensive suite of sensors than Model S. I think the current Autopilot sensors will be outdated within a year.

Tesla has a test car out in the wild with at least 6 cameras attached to it. A new stereoscopic camera where the current Autopilot camera resides, several others to look left and right, another camera underneath each side view mirror, and possibly some rear cameras as well (couldn't tell from the photo). A photo of that test mule was posted here in another thread. I think it's fair to say that the Autopilot hardware is going to see a major upgrade shortly. Model X will surely sport a more comprehensive suite of sensors than Model S. I think the current Autopilot sensors will be outdated within a year.

Did I read somewhere that Tesla's current autopilot hardware is only highway capable? That they would need a new sensor suite for city autopilot. Maybe they're testing it already?

Is it possible to add those cameras to the existing auto pilot hardware?

Mine does not have any auto pilot features but I know lot of people who traded P85 to get P85D with the current autopilot hardware.

I bought my MS with the promise that it would be capable of parallel parking itself public city parking.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 12.25.08 PM.png

This has been expanded quite it bit since the last time I looked at it. Nice to see this will be coming… some day.

Did I read somewhere that Tesla's current autopilot hardware is only highway capable? That they would need a new sensor suite for city autopilot. Maybe they're testing it already?

Elon is on record saying that the current Autopilot suite is inadequate for city driving. The current sensor suite cannot detect certain soft objects such as children, people, and animals. The car's hardware capabilities will need to be updated before autopilot can function anywhere other than freeways. I believe one or more integrated lidar units may be needed for this type of functionality. So far, no test mules have been spotted with lidar - only with extra cameras.

Mine does not have any auto pilot features but I know lot of people who traded P85 to get P85D with the current autopilot hardware.

Any discussion of future autopilot hardware is simply speculation, and it is unknown whether improved and additional sensors could be retrofitted to current Autopilot vehicles. My gut says no. Even if improved sensors are launched in the next year, existing Autopilot vehicles will still be able to enjoy the suite of features that were promised at the time those vehicles were purchased. They simply may not enjoy future capabilities of the system. But I think that was expected.

Elon is on record saying that the current Autopilot suite is inadequate for city driving. The current sensor suite cannot detect certain soft objects such as children, people, and animals. The car's hardware capabilities will need to be updated before autopilot can function anywhere other than freeways. I believe one or more integrated lidar units may be needed for this type of functionality. So far, no test mules have been spotted with lidar - only with extra cameras.

Got it, thanks!

Possible? Of course. Will the offer it? Probably not except in rare cases. For instance, if the current sensor suite is not adequate to offer features promised through advertising at the time customers placed their orders, they'll obviously have to make the vehicles capable of those features, upgrade customers to equivalent models which are capable, or refund customers their money for failing to deliver the promised feature. Between those 3 choices, I'd think it would be cheapest to retrofit the hardware. If it were any car company other than Tesla I wouldn't say that would be the cheapest option, but I suspect Tesla's modular system design can turn on a dime a lot easier than other companies where they make very few changes at all for a model's lifecycle. Tesla supposedly has 20+ changes a week to the model.

Well, I think you all should watch this YouTube video ... The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube (The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua of MobilEye).

I have heard that the later S' are equipped with the chip referred to in this presentation - the current one, not the next one - and that this Summers promised Lane Holding facility will be based on MobilEyes chip and software. It suggests that for autonomous city driving the use of existing hardware would be adequate but perhaps not adequate enough for Mr Musk and his lawyers. It is a fascinating glimpse at what is coming... and coming (IMO) much sooner than people think. Of course, how long it will take to sort out the legal ramifications of the technology is another matter. MW

Well, I think you all should watch this YouTube video ... The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube (The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua of MobilEye).

I have heard that the later S' are equipped with the chip referred to in this presentation - the current one, not the next one - and that this Summers promised Lane Holding facility will be based on MobilEyes chip and software. It suggests that for autonomous city driving the use of existing hardware would be adequate but perhaps not adequate enough for Mr Musk and his lawyers. It is a fascinating glimpse at what is coming... and coming (IMO) much sooner than people think. Of course, how long it will take to sort out the legal ramifications of the technology is another matter. MW

Cool, yeah he mentions the current 3rd generation IQ3 chip is in the current Tesla - used for road sign recognition primarily right now, but it capable of just about everything in slide show up to this point.

That was fascinating. Thanks for posting the link.

I couldn't help thinking as he talked near the end about the dependency upon high definition cameras, that there would be problems in certain climates. How would they keep lenses clean enough to produce data for the software to work, with slush, mud, even dust being thrown onto them?

I think it is possible, but many on this forum think that Tesla would not do it. Side view camera under the side mirrors being my favorite:wink: I am even willing to pay for it if the price is right:wink: I think it will greatly improve the blind spot detection plus stall parking (without cars adjacent to it) :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

It suggests that for autonomous city driving the use of existing hardware would be adequate but perhaps not adequate enough for Mr Musk and his lawyers.

I beat Max to his favorite logic equation::tongue:
AutoPilot != Autonomous driving.

- - - Updated - - -

So was this ever definitively answered? Is there any difference between the AP hardware that was included in the 2014 Tech Package w/ AP versus today's standalone AP?
I am not sure, but I stand by my theory: The current MS AP hardware is not adequate to fully deliver what was promised.
I will be happy to be proven wrong.:wink: