Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Panoramic Roof - Good news/bad news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just noticed my week old P85D has a panel that is not sitting flush on the roof. It is the front panel nearest to the windshield. I stopped by the service center and was told my car is one of the early one's to receive a completely different panoramic roof design. It is supposed to improve creakiness and windnoise.

Good news is there is really no wind noise on the highway. This appears to be an improvement based on what I read here.
Bad news is this new design obviously has a few bugs to work out. The corner is popped up and looks like it needs to be reseated. The service center wasn't sure how to fix since it is so new and I will need to take back next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,387
Please let me know the date when your Model S was built so that I can update the WIKI. I have not heard one single word about this modification. Also, like cgiGuy stated, a few more pictures of your new roof would be appreciated. Thanks and good luck to you on the fix, I am sure TM will get it straightened out.

They've been making changes to the Pano roof all along. I had a vibration in my roof shortly after getting the car and complained. They told me there was a new clip in the roof that was there to prevent it from being quiet so floaty but that if it wasn't adjusted just right it would cause the vibrations. So I doubt this is even the first change to the roof.

I can't believe that would pass final inspection! Shame on Tesla. They know better and already do better.

My car, delivered as below, has had no wind noise issues at all. Though the rubber on the rear right guide is a little chewed up and I note that the front pass side glass portion of the pano is just slightly out of alignment. Funny thing is that I posted the issue here to see if anybody else had the issue and Tesla (who obviously reads these posts!) figured out who I was and emialed me about the issue and their desire to fix it immediately. Now THAT is customer service!

She goes in for 12K service in two weeks. The issue has posed no problem for me at all.

Here are a couple pics of the roof. Not sure if it will be clear enough to see any differences.
Seems like my glass is more reflective (blue) than others I have seen. Also my rear defroster strips seem very prominent orange now that I tinted the rear glass (not pictured here). More than other cars I've seen. Not sure if any changes were made there as well.
Have to say the level of service and responsiveness is far above any other automaker I've dealt with. Most high end brands I've owned treat you like they are doing you a favor rather than caring about your experience.
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1507.jpg
IMG_1508.JPG

Thanks for the pictures. I talked to an SC employee and here are the major differences between the original Pano Roof (2012 to June 2015) and the new Pano Roof Mid to latter June 2015 and on...

Note the pictures I have posed below and the location of the roof rack clips... One the new Pano Roof these are about 1/2" from the edge of the side plates of the pano roof. On the original roof, these roof rack clip flaps are located on the very outside edge of the side plates. Also the rubber moldings, especially on the trailing edges of the panels are finished off with rounded edges whereas on the earlier roof, the rubber moldings are cut square and are not rounded and appear a bit crude. It may also be possible that the defrosting membrane is slightly different as well. But I was not able to inspect that as car access was not available.

Picture of Old Pano with outside roof rack clip location....

old pano outside clips.JPG

Picture of New Style Pano with clips more located on inside of side portion of Pano....

new pano inside clips.JPG

old pano square cut moldings.JPG
Old Pano square cut molding on large pano panel trailing edge...

New Pano more rounded moldings on large panel trailing edge...

new trailing edge pano.jpg

The VIN number of the S that had the new Pano (which was the subject of the pictures above) roof was 91xxx June 2015 build (on window sticker) and was just delivered from the factory, the S with the older roof was a VIN number 90xxx and also a June 2015 build. So I recon, that sometime near the mid to end of June builds, does the new Pano-Roof design make its appearance.

Lastly... not to be a real nit picker but really.... WHY IS THIS POST IN USER INTERFACE.... should it not be in INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR????

Last edited:
Data point--my wife's new S70D delivered 6/22/15 (VIN 085294) but likely built/completed the week before has the old style pano roof

I think I have the old style pano roof as well. Mine was ready for pick up sometime the week of June 15th so lets say June 15-20 delivery.

as an aside: do they schedule deliveries on weekends?

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE!!

VIN 92369 has the old roof? That is odd. Mine is 89xxx and has the new one.
Also I suspect the rear tailgate glass is different now. I got my back window tinted with level 15 and the orange defroster strips are very pronounced. It doesn't have the flat black look I seem to recall from other Teslas. I think there may be new glass and the strips have the defrosters more on the outside rather than inside or the glass so when it is tinted black from the inside the orange look jumps out at you. Sorry no pictures yet.