Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S & Nissan Leaf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smilepak

May 11, 2015
SoCal, CA
Anyone here have a Model S + another EV like the Nissan Leaf?

I have an electrician coming to install the NEMA 14-50 to use with the UMC. Was thinking of having him install a second NEMA 14-50 to use for another EV. How do I use that second NEMA 14-50 to charge the leaf or can I?

I have an electrician coming to install the NEMA 14-50 to use with the UMC. Was thinking of having him install a second NEMA 14-50 to use for another EV. How do I use that second NEMA 14-50 to charge the leaf or can I?

Not sure what the new Leaf is going to have for charging, but we did the same thing. We have had two 14-50's installed, one for a Tesla and one for another Tesla or EV. You can buy a Clipper Creek unit that would plug directly into the 2nd 14-50:

ClipperCreek | EV Charging Stations | EVSE | Electric Vehicle Charging

Or

Quite a few members have a second EV. There is a little bit of everything from a second Tesla S or Roadster to every other sort of EV out there. It saves arguing about who has to drive the plain old ICE car.

The leaf comes with a portable EVSE that only works on 120 V. So, you need to buy a 240 V EVSE for it. Not as nice as Tesla's dual voltage 120/240 V portable EVSE, aka the UMC.

Clipper Creek EVSEs seem to have great reliability and reasonable prices. Their HCS-40 is less than $600 and can charge the Leaf at its fastest rate.

GSP

Not sure what the new Leaf is going to have for charging, but we did the same thing. We have had two 14-50's installed, one for a Tesla and one for another Tesla or EV. You can buy a Clipper Creek unit that would plug directly into the 2nd 14-50:

Or

Interesting, so the Nissan Leaf might be able to use that Clipper Creek?

The Nissan website said the Leaf uses the AVerovirment system. I read somewhere that the Nissan Leaf charging unit is built into the car.

http://www.evsolutions.com/ev-charging-nissan

So reverse question.

Option #1 - Have the electrician install two NEMA 14-50 ports

Option #2 - Have the electrician install one NEMA 14-50 port and the Nissan EV Charger (http://www.evsolutions.com/ev-charging-nissan).

Option #3 - Have the electrician install two NEMA 14-50 ports and buy (http://store.evsolutions.com/av-30-amp-plug-in---25ft-cable-p65.aspx) to use off one of the port

I think I am starting to like Option #3.

Since it is the J1772 plus, I assume the Tesla Model S can use this as well?

Most commercially available J1772 EVSEs use a NEMA 6-50 plug. Have your electrician install a 14-50 for your Tesla and a 6-50P for the "other EV". Then a Clipper Creek HCS-40P with a 6-50 will plug right into it.
http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-6-50-plug/
The Clipper Creek unit is compatible with all EVs, cheaper, and IMHO more reliable in the long run than the Nissan/AV unit.
You can charge the Tesla with a J1772 with the included adapter that comes with your Model S, however that isn't an ideal situation. The UMC that comes with your car has a button on the top of it that opens your charge port, you don't have that convenience using a standard J1772 EVSE and the adapter.

Most commercially available J1772 EVSEs use a NEMA 6-50 plug. Have your electrician install a 14-50 for your Tesla and a 6-50P for the "other EV". Then a Clipper Creek HCS-40P with a 6-50 will plug right into it.
http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-6-50-plug/
The Clipper Creek unit is compatible with all EVs, cheaper, and IMHO more reliable in the long run than the Nissan/AV unit.
You can charge the Tesla with a J1772 with the included adapter that comes with your Model S, however that isn't an ideal situation. The UMC that comes with your car has a button on the top of it that opens your charge port, you don't have that convenience using a standard J1772 EVSE and the adapter.

On the newer D cars you just press the edge of the chargeport and it auto opens.

They each one their own 50a switch? Hmm and if I need nema 14-50, I can just replace the receptical

I have a Leaf and a Model S 85. We use the Leaf around town and the Tesla for long distance. I have a GE wattstation (J1772) I use mainly for the Leaf. It has a 6-50 plug and I bought the Tesla 6-50 adapter ( no longer available) so if I want a faster charger I plug the Tesla UMC into the 6-50. Otherwise I just plug the Tesla into a dedicated 20 amp circuit for 5 mph. Since we don't do long distance every day it is usually ready whenn we need it.

If you are limited in the amount of power from your panel, you could get a Hydra. It's splits up one EV plug into two. The power is split up equally if two cars are charging. If one is done or unplugged, all the power automatically goes to the other one.

So even the new 2015 Leaf's only have a 6.6kW charger in them, so a 30 amp circuit for it would be plenty. If one of the older 2011 or 2012's then it's only a 3kW charger.

I personally went with a GE Wattstation (had them on hand at Home Depot) for the Leaf with a 30 amp circuit, while the HPWC for the Model S has 100 amp service for dual chargers.

For the Leaf, you could also send your stock EVSE to evseupgrade.com to have them upgrade it to work with 120v and 240v outlets. This upgrade costs about $300. Depending on the model year for the Leaf, they'll put an L6-20 or L6-30 plug on it. You can wire up the outlet with one of those sockets or choose from a selection of pre-made adapters from the same company. Comes in at a little lower price than buying a new EVSE from ClipperCreek.

I did this upgrade on my stock EVSE and use it to charge from a 6-30 outlet when I go to visit grandma during the winter. I've got a permanently mounted ClipperCreek LCS-25 in the garage.

So even the new 2015 Leaf's only have a 6.6kW charger in them, so a 30 amp circuit for it would be plenty. If one of the older 2011 or 2012's then it's only a 3kW charger.

I personally went with a GE Wattstation (had them on hand at Home Depot) for the Leaf with a 30 amp circuit, while the HPWC for the Model S has 100 amp service for dual chargers.

This is a useful observation about the circuit breaker amperage. I also have both a lower power circuit (30 A circuit and Clipper Creek station) and a 14-50 outlet on a 50 A breaker. For best safety, you want to use the lowest amperage breaker that will support the load. (That is, don't use a 50 A breaker on the circuit for the LEAF; use a smaller one).

Guys, NEC dictates you install a 40A circuit for a 30A EVSE, so in this case, a 30A breaker would NOT be compliant.

Overcurrent protection for feeders and branch circuits supplying electric vehicle supply equipment shall be sized for continuous duty and shall have a rating of not less than 125 percent of the maximum load of the electric vehicle supply equipment. Where noncontinuous loads are supplied from the same feeder or branch circuit, the overcurrent device shall have a rating of not less than the sum of the noncontinuous loads plus 125 percent of the continuous loads.

I'm not sure what NEC's stance is on using a 14-50R on a 50A outlet, when using a 30A EVSE, but I don't think it's an issue (someone confirm/correct me please).

The breaker protects the circuit, not devices plugged into it (just like you're allowed to plug in a phone charger into a 15A outlet).

We have a hard-wired Clipper Creek HCS-60 (48A output) that I use to charge my Model S and my wife uses for her Focus Electric. She usually plugs in when she gets home and charges instantly and I unplug her and plug in the Model S before going to sleep (set to start charging at 1AM to take advantage of the cheap electric rates on our hourly plan). She typically needs less than a 2h charge to make up for the energy she uses in her daily commute/routine so it works out well.

If we both wanted to plug in together she could easily use the cable that came with the Focus and replenish her charge on 120v if needed.

Last edited:
YES

I had electricians installed two 14-50 plugs just in case we buy Leaf or Fit or another Tesla

Option #3, but with a better value / lower cost unit than the AeroVironment one you have selected.

- - - Updated - - -

For the Leaf, you could also send your stock EVSE to evseupgrade.com to have them upgrade it to work with 120v and 240v outlets. This upgrade costs about $300. Depending on the model year for the Leaf, they'll put an L6-20 or L6-30 plug on it. You can wire up the outlet with one of those sockets or choose from a selection of pre-made adapters from the same company. Comes in at a little lower price than buying a new EVSE from ClipperCreek.

I did this upgrade on my stock EVSE and use it to charge from a 6-30 outlet when I go to visit grandma during the winter. I've got a permanently mounted ClipperCreek LCS-25 in the garage.

Downside is when you sell your Leaf, the new owner is taking that with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, NEC dictates you install a 40A circuit for a 30A EVSE, so in this case, a 30A breaker would NOT be compliant.

I'm not sure what NEC's stance is on using a 14-50R on a 50A outlet, when using a 30A EVSE, but I don't think it's an issue (someone confirm/correct me please).

The breaker protects the circuit, not devices plugged into it (just like you're allowed to plug in a phone charger into a 15A outlet).

You are correct.

Thanks all for the feedback. Based upon what I read here and others from Googling.....

I'll have the electrician install two NEMA 14-50, each on their own 50 amp switch. One on each end of the garage. I'll use the UMC for the Tesla. When my wife decide to get her EV, we can use the other NEMA 14-50 and get either the Clipper Creek or AVeronviroment.

I might however, shortly decide to get the Clipper Creek and use it on the NEMA 14-50 to charge the Tesla (knowing it will be slower than UMC) and just keep the UMC in the car w/o having to buy another UMC as a spare. Might be a more cheaper approach.

I am debating on the Nissan Leaf now or wait two years where we have bucket load of options...

Now - Nissan Leaf can do 120 miles range (EPA rating).

In two years
Chevy Bolt
Nissan Leaf
Tesla Model 3

All can 180 or more miles range EPA rating. At least that is what being promised. Might worth the wait, but since the electrician is out here to pull permit, might as well do the work all at once.