Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I just set some sort of a record???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my beautiful 70D today. A beast of a machine! Absolutely love it.

...but, tomorrow it is going back to the SC :).

Less than a day old and they already want to come pick it up because every time I open and close a front passenger window, it is covered in some sort of black wax that is VERY hard to get off the window. So now they want to take it back, take the door apart and clean it..

Did I just get a record? :)

Thankfully they will be dropping off a loaner MS so I am not unhappy.

Naa, mine had to be serviced before I even opened the door to get in on the day of delivery. It had a defect in one tail light, some type of plastic separation. It was very obvious in direct sunlight, but otherwise not, so I don't blame them for missing it. Noticed it right away when I walked around the car, and it went right back into the building to be addressed. Took probably 30 minutes and I had a new tail light, no big deal.

Naa, mine had to be serviced before I even opened the door to get in on the day of delivery. It had a defect in one tail light, some type of plastic separation. It was very obvious in direct sunlight, but otherwise not, so I don't blame them for missing it. Noticed it right away when I walked around the car, and it went right back into the building to be addressed. Took probably 30 minutes and I had a new tail light, no big deal.

I don't know how they missed my issue... The window got covered with the black goo the first time I opened it.. Unfortunately it was pretty hot today so I left the SC with the windows up and di not discover the problem until I got home..

Now with the 4th of july coming up, I am pretty sure it'll be a while until I get my car back..

I hope they give me a good loaner :). A P85D would be nice :).

Mine is in the shop 2 weeks into ownership with a leak in the rear driver side window. It was coming in through the chrome appliqué somehow. They have had my car for 4 days.

Interesting. My car is 2.5 years old and I have been getting a couple of black spots on the exterior of the drivers door window. Similar black waxy substance. I thought it was something flicked up from the road, but it came back after I cleaned it off. Only showed up recently.

No, just one, and thankfully not the drivers. I can open it from the inside. It pops out, but when I pull it from the outside, nothing happens.

When I got my car in Sept 2012, I was taught how the door handles work. The computer registers pull pressure over time. And it learns. If you pull gently, and gently increase that gentle pressure over several seconds, the computer recalculates that it needs gentle pressure to open the door.

If you grab and pull hard, the computer figures that it needs to open the door only when grabbed and pulled HARD. My wife's door "quit working", not opening for any amount of tugging, but I gently pulled, gently increased. It popped open and is "healed".

I see the same problem with driver's doors that pop open for no reason. The door has figured the pressure so light that the door is opened simply because you push on the brake when you lean on the inside of the door. Get out, grab the door, and teach it where you want it to open. I have fixed a driver's door that opened "for no reason" this way.

In general, a gentle, FIRM pull, gently increasing, until the computer figures out what you want.

Of course, service can't teach everyone everything, but some of you out there might want to try it. And I suspect a few door handles get replaced that don't need it at all. But it sure saves time doing it at home, in about a minute.

When I got my car in Sept 2012, I was taught how the door handles work. The computer registers pull pressure over time. And it learns. If you pull gently, and gently increase that gentle pressure over several seconds, the computer recalculates that it needs gentle pressure to open the door.

If you grab and pull hard, the computer figures that it needs to open the door only when grabbed and pulled HARD. My wife's door "quit working", not opening for any amount of tugging, but I gently pulled, gently increased. It popped open and is "healed".

I see the same problem with driver's doors that pop open for no reason. The door has figured the pressure so light that the door is opened simply because you push on the brake when you lean on the inside of the door. Get out, grab the door, and teach it where you want it to open. I have fixed a driver's door that opened "for no reason" this way.

In general, a gentle, FIRM pull, gently increasing, until the computer figures out what you want.

Of course, service can't teach everyone everything, but some of you out there might want to try it. And I suspect a few door handles get replaced that don't need it at all. But it sure saves time doing it at home, in about a minute.

Thanks! I'll try this today! This is awesome to know!

@roblab Nope, that didn't work, thanks though. Pulled hard, pulled softly, pulled softly and kept increasing strength, pulled hard and held for 30 seconds, etc. nada. O well, it'll be back to Tesla next week to get this fixed and a few minor things looked at.