Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reliability of HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
I am about to get my third HPWC - The first one arrived with the charging cable unsecured at the point it enters the box, and couldn't be easily fixed, so they sent a new one. This second one has now failed after only three months of use! It will not initiate charging. Clipper Creek told me that they no longer make it (the TS-70), and they are using "spare parts" to make new ones. I'll be getting a new one shortly. (I always wondered about the very loud thump when charging starts - could the vibration have shaken the circuit board too much?) So, I am curious as to whether anyone else has had problems.

My TS-70 seems to work fine, though I've only had it up for a few months. I've set for 40 Amps - it kicks in at midnight and is done by the time I need it in the morning, so why stress the battery?

Yeah, that muffled thump startled me at first. I'm guessing it is some kind of high power relay or equivalent - I can feel it faintly at the housing. I've learned to find it... comforting.

Mine came used, with my used Roadster. Have had it for two years now without any issues.

The "thump". I like it, I feel like I won a free game on an old pinball machine every time I plug in.

I have my original HPWC purchased new in 2011. It makes that loud clunk of the relay, and if I don't hear it, it means that somehow I forgot to push the thumb switch forward after connecting the cable to the Roadster—an inexplicable oversight that happens every once in a while.

Ironically, mine stopped working Tuesday night. I went out Wednesday morning and there were no lights on the charger. I figured it had maybe tripped the breaker or something. Nope, and resetting it did nothing. I haven't had a chance to put the multimeter on it and see where the power stops. I used the UMC and charged last night, but I miss my comforting "thunk" letting me know it's done.

In less than a year, I started to have connector issues and had my cable replaced (thankfully they still replaced it after a year of service). That was a few months ago, and I'm already noticing a similar issue with the handle. If I lift upward it starts to engage/disengage where it clunks repeatedly. Not nearly as bad as it was, but I am concerned. I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that I'm doing - I plug it straight in at night, unplug in the morning. Hang it on the hook. Never drop it.

When Model S posts are accidentally made in Roadster threads I wonder why moderators don't move them. @ohmman is a fine outstanding member of TMC and I'm sure he feels bad that he posted in a Roadster thread about something that has nothing to do with the Roadster HPWC (formerly called HPC). These are my guesses:

1. Mods are way too busy with other stuff to bother with such trivial tasks as moving Model S posts that were accidentally made in Roadster threads.
  2. They can't be sure the author didn't want to post where they did, and it might have some remote significance.
  3. Nobody really cares so why am I even talking about this?

Back to the topic, I find the Roadster HPC to be very reliable and well-made (unlike the MS HPWC). Sounds like something went bad in the power supply - maybe a blown mini-fuse? I also wouldn't assume your breaker is working properly.

Thanks, and sorry for that. The confusion was using the New Posts link, and thinking that the Roadster charger was still called the HPC (as you mention). Won't happen again. Post was redacted.

Perhaps I'll have to "penalize" myself by purchasing a used Roaster, as I've been wanting to do..

Thanks, and sorry for that. The confusion was using the New Posts link, and thinking that the Roadster charger was still called the HPC (as you mention). Won't happen again. Post was redacted.

Perhaps I'll have to "penalize" myself by purchasing a used Roaster, as I've been wanting to do..

Yes, I think that would be a suitable punishment. :biggrin:
You have a good point about changing the name. So really this is all Tesla's fault!

[*]They can't be sure the author didn't want to post where they did, and it might have some remote significance.

^This ;-)

If it helps, my Wall Connector (the 40A version of Model S HPWC sold here in Hong Kong) has been reliable for a year now for me. It also clunks when I plug in.

P.S. Good luck to the mod who tries to split this thread out now. Perhaps easier to change the subject to "Reliability of HPC?" and pretend that was what we were talking about all along.

It's interesting. I used to have a GE Wattstation for my prior EV which made a loud thunk at charge initiation. I purchased the HPWC when I got my Model S in December, especially with the drop in price to $750. I charge at the full 80 amps and it is dead silent from charge initiation through the entire charge.

Back to the topic, I find the Roadster HPC to be very reliable and well-made (unlike the MS HPWC). Sounds like something went bad in the power supply - maybe a blown mini-fuse? I also wouldn't assume your breaker is working properly.
Henry, Do you think I should call the electrician, or do you think I can diagnose this on my own? I'm fairly competent with a multimeter, home wiring, etc.

Specs:
I have a GE 125A sub-panel in my garage. The Roadster HPWC is right next to the sub-panel. The HPWC is hooked up with 4 x #4 copper wires (not 100% sure on the gauge) about 4' in length. 90A GE breaker. All that was done by the electrician, so I assume it was OK. When charging, the car reports 244V, pretty steady. I usually charge at 40A. I've only charged once at 70A to test it. The only other things wired to the sub-panel are a 15A outlet with an LED shop light (not on), 2 x 20A outlets (unused), and a NEMA 14-50 outlet (breaker was off).

The day it went out, I got an error twice: DMC FW: HCS Faulted Warning. It happened when my daughter turned on her hair dryer. By the time I got the "charging stopped" text, she was done. I reset the breaker to clear the error, and started charging again. Well, my wife was getting ready for the theatre, so SHE turned on the same hair dryer and the Roadster HPWC faulted again. That could be a huge coincidence since they aren't on the same circuit. When she was done, I started charging for a 3rd time and it finished before dying.

What do you think my steps should be? I can test the breaker pretty easy. I have a 70A I can test with. Where would I find the "mini fuse?"

Thanks!

My suggestion would be to call Clipper Creek (530-887-1674) directly. They were very willing to help, and took me through things step by step, checking 7 or 8 possibilities. It didn't turn out to be anything we could figure out over the phone, but they were very patient with me and quite clear as to what I was looking for.

BTW, Tesla has now given me a replacement HPWC. It is limited to 40 amps, not 70 as the one I had originally (contradictory labels on the box it was in). I am tempted to let it be, but Tesla is still deciding what if anything to do next.

My .02: I've had my HPC (Roadster HPWC) for about 2 years now. Mine is capable of the full 70 amps but I never use it above 40. I have used it everyday for the last 2 years as my car is a daily driver and I have not had any issues with it.

Mine just stopped working. I usually charge at 32 amps but about a week ago I was getting 4 blinking lights and no charging.

I've been in contact with Clipper Creek technical support via email. They gave me a list of things to look at.

I opened the unit today and something blew on the circuit board. We'll see what Clipper Creek says.

0FD3FF89-4044-4A1B-81A3-0D838BB544C3.jpg

1C87A194-7D19-4F3B-A363-089FDA3744B7.jpg

A4DCFB86-AED9-4FC0-B980-34A9E197789A.jpg

Mine just stopped working. I usually charge at 32 amps but about a week ago I was getting 4 blinking lights and no charging.

I've been in contact with Clipper Creek technical support via email. They gave me a list of things to look at.

I opened the unit today and something blew on the circuit board. We'll see what Clipper Creek says.

0FD3FF89-4044-4A1B-81A3-0D838BB544C3.jpg

1C87A194-7D19-4F3B-A363-089FDA3744B7.jpg

A4DCFB86-AED9-4FC0-B980-34A9E197789A.jpg

The last picture showing the damage - the parts are labeled as "MOV"s, which are a form of surge protection. They probably also took out a fuse or two as an intended consequence.

Did you have any lightning storms recently?

Greg.