Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying and Moving at the Same Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at retirement in the near future and moving at the same time. MD has a $3000 credit, FL does not. So should I time the delivery of my new Tesla to come to me in MD or have it delivered at our new residence in FL (Charlotte Co.). Any thoughts or considerations I should take into account?

Two things. Look at the sales tax and registration fee situation. You don't want to have to pay twice. Be sure you understand the rules controlling MDs EV credit. For instance, CA requires that the car stay registered in CA for three years. You don't want to trip over a similar requirement.

Two things. Look at the sales tax and registration fee situation. You don't want to have to pay twice. Be sure you understand the rules controlling MDs EV credit. For instance, CA requires that the car stay registered in CA for three years. You don't want to trip over a similar requirement.
To add to that - if the car is "too new" when you move to FL, they may try to hit you for sales tax, and may or may not give credit for prior taxes paid.

In MA, if you try to register a car that's been registered out of state for less than 6 months, the will charge you MA sales tax (ie, it's still "new" in the tax man's eyes until it is 6 months old). Also, the MA rebate program requires you lease or retain ownership of the car, at that it be registered in MA, for at least 3 years.

Are Teslas eligible? The MD rebate FAQ says "The vehicle must be a new vehicle purchased from a dealer." Does this "dealer" requirement cause an issue?

Yep, those jerks, I mean the tax department, in FL are the same people that sent "use tax" bills to aircraft owners that *visited* FL on vacation within 6 months of purchasing a new aircraft. Talk about a shock, go on vacation and get an unexpected $30,000+ tax bill! That policy was in place for several months, but has been corrected as far as I know, but was a huge expense/hassle for the people that got caught by that policy change.

I don't think the dealer issue has been one in the past in MD. Also the state legislature passed a bill permitting Tesla to direct sell in MD from four locations. I think right now we have only one gallery in Montgomery Mall in Bethesda just outside of DC. I haven't heard yet where the additional locations might be.

I'll check and see what the purchase issues might be in FL - it will probably make more sense to take delivery there, as I wasn't going to put charging infrastructure in our MD house. I was sort of hoping to take delivery in MD and have the pleasure of road tripping to FL, but there will be other trips I'm sure but I definitely don't want to pay sales tax or registration twice.

Last edited:
If you buy and then become subject to retax in Florida, FL does indeed give an offset for taxes paid to the other state.

Per the chart on http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Moving-at-the-Same-Time?p=1057883#post1057883 , FL would give a credit for MD Road Excise Tax paid.
However, it is presumed that tangible personal property used in another state, territory of the U.S., or the District of Columbia for six months or longer before being brought into Florida was not purchased for use in Florida; and therefore, no Florida tax is due.

Additionally, per http://dor.myflorida.com/Forms_library/current/gt800030.pdf
If a Florida dealer sells a motor vehicle to a resident of another state that imposes a sales tax of less than six percent and the buyer takes possession of the vehicle in Florida, the buyer’s home state tax rate may be applied to the sale.