Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking door while inside in the driver's seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my new 85D. So many cool features and so much to learn. Today was another learning experience. Wife and I drive to store....drop wife off in front so she could run inside super quick. I drive once around the parking lot and pick her up. Of course the door handles have retracted. How do I unlock the car and "present" the handles? Is the only option from the 17" screen...controls area?

I am so use to cars having a lock/unlock button by the windows up/down button. Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Mike

Is there a way to turn off the unlock feature when you shift the gear selector to Park for situations where you may want the car to be in Park but not unlock the doors?

No, I don't think so, but it's something I've requested.

What I would like to see Tesla implement is unlock and extend the door handles only on a second tap of the park button. So first tap puts it in park, but car remains locked. Second tap unlocks and extends handles. Of course, even if the car is locked, you should be able to open the door from the inside.

Is there a way to turn off the unlock feature when you shift the gear selector to Park for situations where you may want the car to be in Park but not unlock the doors?

This is only partially deployed on my car with 6.2.249. My garage isn't wide enough to let both cars in and have both sides open its doors. So we hug a side and the drivers get in/out while passengers get into the car in the driveway. The doors will lock and retract when I pull out of the garage and here, the first press into park does NOT extend the handles. I must press it a second time. However, down the road (like at the store), pressing it will extend the handles even on the first press.

Yes, I believe latest behavior is:

First press puts the car into park but does not extend the handles.

Second press of the park button extends the handles and unlocks the doors.

Regarding a sunroof physical button, just program your right scroll wheel to control the sunroof. I use it all the time.

No, I don't think so, but it's something I've requested.

What I would like to see Tesla implement is unlock and extend the door handles only on a second tap of the park button. So first tap puts it in park, but car remains locked. Second tap unlocks and extends handles. Of course, even if the car is locked, you should be able to open the door from the inside.

I think it is best that doors not unlock unless you specifically want them to unlock. The following story is a bit dramatic and horrific but a reminder nevertheless on why doors should not unlock just because you put the vehicle in Park... I think pressing park TWICE to unlock is reasonable but not if the doors unlock as soon as you put the car in Park as you might intend to just stop but the area might not be safe or desirable for you to unlock the doors and present the door handles.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ts-in-mexico/2012/02/13/gIQACv1KFR_story.html

For me, that ONLY happens within the first half mile of driving the car. After the first half mile, it goes to full extension in park with the first press. Really annoying.

I noticed this too, and finally figured out the inconsistent behaviour.

If the car is locked (padlock icon is closed) then switching into "park" extends the handles.
If the car is unlocked (padlock is open) then switching into "park" does not extend the handles. You need to press the park button again to extend the handles.

If you have drive-away locking enabled then if you only drive a short distance the handles won't auto present (because the car hasn't locked itself yet) and if you drive a longer distance they will.

If you don't have drive-away locking enabled then the handles won't auto present - giving more consistent behaviour but does mean that anyone can open the car from outside if they know they need to push in the handle first.