Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Most Excellent Adventure, China Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I found the article quite interesting. I have driven between Beijing and Shanghai, something I will not plan to do again. The train wins for me every time. Still, the density of EV charging stations needed in all China major urban areas is hard to overestimate based on my limited experience anyway. Long range travel in China is so much easier and faster by train/airplane that it's hard to imagine much inter-city usage. The urban areas though, are so huge and dense that many charing stations are needed even in daily urban use, or so it seems form my limited experience and more reading.

Globally it seems that the 'egg' probably needs to be well developed for very many 'chickens' to hatch. Luckily the 'eggs' might just be 20amp level 2 or so to help meet the threshold. The real issue for every EV offering is that China is the #1 or #2 global auto market, depending on the measure, so success there is important for global scale. Not too long ago we all thought it was the US, but now it seems one needs both the China and US markets to really make it. Tesla could get to 500,000 without China, but probably not much beyond that. Inevitably EV's will move to mainstream if the pace started by Tesla continues.

I'm very curious about other opinions on this issue. Should Tesla be pulling out the stops for a vast China SuperCharger network?