Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports : P85D vs Hellcat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And here's the corresponding article for those that prefer text over video. It also includes this nice clean image. I may have to print this out and add it to my car show materials. :)

CRO_Cars_Hellcat_Chart_06-15.png

Another possibility is that is the limit of tire traction.
Yes, this.

Road tyres aren't going to do a lot better than 1g before breaking traction. That smooth plateau is evidence of (near-perfect) traction control exploiting all the mechanical grip you can get before the slip ratio gets excessive.

The decaying curve after that is just what you should expect from power-limited acceleration.

After all that obnoxious noise the Hellcat made, I wish when the Tesla was accelerating we could have heard the silence rather than that loud music soundtrack.

I guess they reasoned that they were giving viewers maximum choice. Those who like the racket got their racket and those who prefer silence can just mute the racket.:wink:

And here's the corresponding article for those that prefer text over video. It also includes this nice clean image. I may have to print this out and add it to my car show materials. :)

View attachment 86466

It almost looks to clean to be real-world. Seems more like a simulation you'd see prepared for a product pitch presentation.
"Here is how BRAND-X performed. Now watch how crisply and cleanly our product handles a similar situation."

Does anyone else think that plateau at 1 G looks suspiciously software limited?

I would have to agree here.The natural/perfect world peak of the motor output would be pointed, and if there were slicks on the car, I wager the cutoff would remain, mostly.
I doubt very highly the tripod joints used in this car, (or any IRS setup like this), could handle the full actual torque of that motor.
Assuming tires never slip/slip as little as a warmed drag tires would. I know of axles a similarly sized that break pretty regularly at around 550'.
/.02
:smile: