Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for black obsidian MS pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is mine I just took delivery last week.

Cheers

Jeff

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 1.00.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 1.00.29 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,458
Congrats! Thanks for the photo. Do you have any closeup of the paint, different angles, different lighting, etc? I wouldn't have been able to tell this was obsidian.

How do you like the finish compared to the basic black?

Here is mine I just took delivery last week.

Cheers

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Do you have any high res closeups? How do you like the obsidian vs the basic black?

And a few of mine before window tent and clear bra and opti-coat

View attachment 85915View attachment 85916View attachment 85917View attachment 85918

@Sean I don't have any up close up Hi Res shots yet. I will take some for you and post. I can tell you it is so much better looking than the basic black. It even alters colors depending on how much and type of light. Some one from a distance even walked up and said they thought it was a midnight blue from a distance. Very nice affect and definitely worth the little upcharge

Sorry, no photos. You really have to see the car up close and in person. There are very subtle greenish blue metallic flakes in the paint. Car looks great in bright sunlight, elegant at night. Better that we expected given that we ordered the color sight unseen the day the new black was announced.

This thread is desperately needing Obsidian Black photos that illustrate the flake. I took a risk and ordered my 2015 85D in Obsidian sight unseen ( no OB cars at my Tesla showroom) because "black shows everything" and a little metallic flake in the paint goes a long way towards hiding those swirls and general spiderweb scratches that appear over time. I was bummed when I read that some users wouldn't upload photos of their O.Black cars, but instead said "no, you have to see it in person." Some of us could not see it in person.

I was hoping it wasn't like Porsche's Jet Black which looks purple outside in the sunlight. Luckily it does not. Tesla Obsidian black is almost identical to Audi's Phantom Black that they use on the A4 and Q5 cars. Go check out that color at an Audi dealership if you can't preview Obsidian at your tesla dealership. (there aren't many OB's out there and my Tesla showroom had 4 blacks and no O.B's. My daughter has a Phantom Black Audi Q5 and it's almost identical to my OB Model S side by side.

In the sun the Tesla OB reflects a neutral effect. Nothing green or blue or purple. It's monochromatic for sure. Nothing offensive about the color. No surprises. It is metallic black. Pleasantly surprised for sure. In the shadows it's PURE black - in the sun it has a great pearl black effect. If you're on the fence and decide to go OB, you can sleep well knowing that it's not strange or weird in any way. No iridescent hues or the "oil on your ham" rainbow effect deep in the metallic.

So here you go, guys. Some shots of Obsidian Black in the sun and shadows. THESE ARE EXTREME DIRECT SUNLIGHT 9am pure blue sky....so the flake appears intense - but it's not reality.. In most lights you won't see this extreme nature. Note the shot of my car under the tree in the shadow - looks pure black even though it's Obsidian.

I'm happy with the color and it would be my first choice if I had it to over again.

(Edit - please ignore the dust on the surface - it's showing as some white flakes on the paint. That is not in the color itself :) )

Attachments

• 1TVET.jpeg
    1TVET.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 539
  • 3gtvv.jpeg
    3gtvv.jpeg
    488.7 KB · Views: 532
  • aJSGd.jpeg
    aJSGd.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 526
  • e8GGM.jpeg
    e8GGM.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 543
  • fGxDJ.jpeg
    fGxDJ.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 515
  • PwBjW.jpeg
    PwBjW.jpeg
    722.5 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics of mine.
IMG_1599.JPG
tesla p85d tint2.jpg
IMG_1542.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Black looks awesome, but ordering black means you better have a contract with your local autowasher.

FWIW - I don't find mine gets that dirty. I have Opti-Pro-Plus on it which helps of course. My routine - once a week I take it to a do it yourself with the sprayer car wash and then I hit it with Griot's Speed Shine once or twice a week. The wash takes 15 mins and is fun, the speed shine is about 10 mins including doing the interior with a Meguire's wipe and is somewhat of a pain but it looks awesome after.

If you live in the square states your black car will get first on the way home from the car wash. Here in colorado dust just accumulates on your car. Back in Virginia your car stays clean longer. Something about the humidity doesn't allow dust to kick up off the roads.

Been following TMC for forever and finally placed my Model S order 10/18, order confirmation is tomorrow! Couldn’t be more thrilledto support Tesla and to get the privilege to soon drive this amazingengineering marvel every day. I choseObsidian Black (site unseen) for similar reasons as everyone else; swirl markphobia and all; but am considering doing a paint correction and Modesta glasscoating anyway to increase the gloss, repel some dirt, and protect against swirl marks and other imminentdamage. With obsidian looking so muchlike solid black, would it be wise you think to just go with solid black andsave $1000 since I plan on doing a coating anyway? Or do you feel thedifference in look is great enough to warrant the extra cost?

I was going to post pictures of my Obsidian Black, but then I saw the pictures already posted.

I agree that it is a beautiful "look". I think of these as looks, since it's so much more than a color. It's got a layered nature to it that brings a richness to it whether you are in sunlight, or not. It's a premium look.

If anyone wants pictures in different lighting conditions I can do that. But without doing HDR style it's difficult to capture the real life "experience" of it.