Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone interested in Tesla NOT because of any environmental reasons?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading here for a couple months now and we're thinking of getting the 70D, but mainly because I want the car pool stickers and it would fit how we tend to drive.
While reading on this board, I've noticed people comment a lot about how they feel they're being environmentally friendly by having a MS. I'm just wondering if there are people here just because it's an interesting car that has no competitor at this moment; not because they think they're helping the environment?

I've been reading here for a couple months now and we're thinking of getting the 70D, but mainly because I want the car pool stickers and it would fit how we tend to drive.
While reading on this board, I've noticed people comment a lot about how they feel they're being environmentally friendly by having a MS. I'm just wondering if there are people here just because it's an interesting car that has no competitor at this moment; not because they think they're helping the environment?

You will not find a narrow market for the Model S.
I know people that bought it because they hate dealing with car dealers.
Others buy it strictly for the performance.
Others buy it for the drive quality.
Some buy it for environmental reasons.
Some for the convenience.
Some for the national fiscal health.
And yet others for national security reasons.
Some others buy it because it is one car that fits a wide variety of uses.

Most buy it for a multitude of the above reasons.

I certainly care about the environmental reasons, but they're not the most important reasons I bought the car. The biggest reasons are that I just love the idea of never visiting another gas station (they're smelly and inconvenient and they take big bites out of your wallet), I love having huge amounts of power on hand, and I love all the smarts in the car.

You certainly don't need to care at all. My father is totally unconvinced about any of the environmental aspects and he still wants one badly.

The big thing about a Tesla is that it stands on it's own merit, it doesn't need an "excuse" to compete with other cars. And once you've driven one for a month, you'll think your other car is broken.

Where I am, all the S' are coal powered.

In a very short Google search, I see several nuclear power plants and several natural gas power plants in Ohio. I would also suspect there might be a Tesla owner or two who have solar panels and supply some of their own power.

I think your premise would be hard to prove, whether you believe it or not. Even burning coal, electrics are efficient enough to make less CO2 than a standard gas burning car.

*raises hand*

it's nice, but not the primary reason i bought my S.

I bought my MS because I was completely taken aback with the technology, engineering, and safety aspects of the car; suddenly, the other car choices I had considered at the time seemed really antiquated. Through my ownership experience with the car, I've become more aware of environmental concerns and am better for it.

For me, it's the convenience & lifestyle of charging.

Never having to go to the gas station for most of the year

-AND-

When we're on a road trip, the forced stops means I can actually get a frequent break from driving earlier, where previously other family members may have wanted me to keep pushing on.

It's funny, I'm the exact opposite. I love everything about our MS, but if it were gas powered I would not have paid $20k for it let alone its actual cost. As others have mentioned, it is such a great car it can likely stand on top of whatever category is important to you. You will love the car if/when you get it.

Short term me getting a Tesla didn't help the environment. I don't drive nearly enough miles to offset how much energy it took to build.

Long term though it is a contribution to electrifying vehicles which is critical for the environment.

But, it didn't really factor into my decision. It was an agonizing decision because of so many unknowns. Normally I would have shaken it off and said "too risky", but it's hard to get a Tesla out of your psyche once you've driven it.

Edit - I should add that limited/no maintenance was a pretty significant factor. it's almost tragic how many various oil changes my Jeep takes. The engine oil, the rear transfer case oil, the front transfer case oil. Yadda, Yadda, yadda. Ughh!

Me.

Not interested in the perceived environmental benefits of electric cars. I just enjoy interesting, high tech cars.

Hard core environmentalist who is worried about global warming....

I put money down on a Roadster in 2006??? Can't remember the exact year. Installed solar before I got the Roadster.

Switched to the Model S because I like road trips and wanted to supercharge.

But it is an insanely good car, and would not go back to an ICE even if I wasn't a treehugger.