Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Italy holiday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are travelling to Garda Lake in 2 weeks time. Can anyone advise me how to charge using public loadingpoints? I don't have a Hera loading pass for Italy, and probably will not receive it in time. What do you suggest? Can I borrow a card from anyone?
And are there people from Holland who can recommend a stop-over hotel with charging facilitiy between Holland and Garda Lake?

We are travelling to Garda Lake in 2 weeks time. Can anyone advise me how to charge using public loadingpoints? I don't have a Hera loading pass for Italy, and probably will not receive it in time. What do you suggest? Can I borrow a card from anyone?
And are there people from Holland who can recommend a stop-over hotel with charging facilitiy between Holland and Garda Lake?

Hi SAN,
An italian TMC member told me tath at every IKEA Store you'll be able to charge for free if you have the IKEA Family card wich is also free.
They told me also if you manage to contact the Tesla store in Milan they will give you some useful information about other card and possibilities to charge in Italy.

The easiest and quickest way to obtain an Italian Charge card is by Due Energie

· Contact [email protected] to request a contract
· You’ll receive it via email (usually same day)
· Fill-in the contract, signs it and send it to [email protected], include copy of your ID
· You will receive the card at home within 4 days (also outside Italy)
· Charges the card of 40 euro for 100 kWh: now the card is ready
· The customer is informed when he is going to reach the threshold
· You can charge more kWh on the card directly on [email protected] paying with PayPal or VISA
· The card is valid for 12 months, after 12 months you give back the card or recharge 40 euros for 100 kWh and continues to use the service for other 12 months.

I agree with Edi99: contacting Due Energie is the easiest way.
I was unable to get a decent contact with Enel.
Beware that only a few charging points from Enel work with the card from Due Energy! In Rome only 2 stations, both at the same location, work with this card, although I've seen a lot of Enel stations all over the city. Check the site of Due Energie in advance: Home Page - Mobility Due Energie

I was on Elba two weeks ago.
The problem is, coming from North, it's 130 km from Forte dei Marmi to the Ferry in Piombino, so 260 km missing on the island.

Once I charged on the one and only Destination Charger and 3 times overnight with a Italy-Plug-Adapter, limiting to 7 A (only between 22 and 7 was the power stable and did not stop). But the island is not big but beautiful!

Reactions: robertvg
Last year we planned a trip to Elba and found 2 hotels with blue 16A plugs in their garage where we could charge.
Also there are plenty of harbours, they usually have power connectors that you could probably use.
We changed our plans so didn't go there but visiting the island should not be a problem IMO.

We are travelling north to south within Italy (and to Croatia) this summer and I have just done some brief research on Enel Drive. It seems that Enel Drive now has an app, called e-go, available on the app store.

The challenge for non-Italians is the "Fiscal Code", which is (I gather from some further reading) essential for Italian residents but not foreigners. There are tools available to generate your own Fiscal Code - see here Create an Italian Tax Code to shop online in Italy which has a link to here with instructions: Calcolo codice fiscale | PagineBianche .

Having downloaded the e-go app and got through the Sign Up page, I was then required to put in a mobile number in order to be sent a validation code. I used "0044" and then my usual UK number without the initial "0" and it seems to have worked that far.

I have then got stuck filling in my profile on the e-go app, and I am not yet in Italy to test whether this will work anyway, but I have asked for help from '[email protected]' and we shall see if that gets me to the end of the subscription process.

some notes to italy found in the german forum TFF:

1. Open App and connect to the charging station in front of you
2. Wait some time for the italian message to plug your socket in. You have to plug it in just a bit, than turn left 1/4 and than plug in full.
3. After connected to the car start charging on the app.
4. Wait 1 min. for the start. ;)
5. Stop charging with app
6. unplug at charging station first (or you have to call a technical service to unlock the cable), after that at the car.

Another user had difficulties to charge in the Toskana:
Don't count on it, the place can be ICEd or the charging stations not working. You can always count on Supercharger and Destination Charger and (near cities) Schuko.​

for my reference:
- App from: e-smartlife | e-go Ricarca
- "Codice-Fiscale" generate at Codice Fiscale Generator
- register inside app, not the web page!

All Info from the german thread, not personal. I will drive in three weeks from Zurich, through the Gotthard to Italy and direct to Croatia (Krk) using Supercharger on the way.

Subsequent to supercharge.info having found this morning the SpC for Morano Calabro, I put together this hypothetical loop route encompassing all of current known Italian SpC sites. Here is a 3467 km / 2150 mi loop that does a very credible job through all of mainland Italy; its longest segment is 260km / 161 miles.

All just for fun -
Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 9.37.56 AM.png