Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about pets at the Hyatt Regency: how strict is the policy enforced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my brother and I arrive at the Hyatt Regency on 7-10 for TMC Connect we'll have our two dogs with us, my 60 - 65 pound Labrador Retriever and his 10 pound Cockapoo. They will have traveled cross country with us and we'll be staying at pet friendly hotels along the way.

The Hyatt Regency says it's pet friendly but evidently only to small dogs. This is its stated policy:

Pet Policy

We are happy to welcome your traveling canine companions.

To participate in the pet program:
Inform the hotel you’ll have a pet (or pets) staying with you at least three days in advance of your arrival.

Ask for a referral to a reputable kennel if the Hyatt hotel you are visiting does not offer dog-friendly rooms. All exempt properties have these on file.

Keep in mind, only dogs weighing 50 pounds and under or two dogs under a combined weight of 75 pounds are permitted.

I did call the hotel to tell then we'd have two dogs but did not say anything about their weight.

So we appear to have a potential problem: while the two dogs are under the weight limit my lab's weight exceeds 50 pounds. Does anyone know how strictly this policy is enforced? I don't want to arrive for check in only to be denied because of the weight of my dog.

Should I call and ask or should I just book another more per friendly hotel with less severe restrictions.

Looking for some informed advice.

As someone who has spent 20 years hosting visitors, many of whom want Rex or Foofy in the cabins with them, I am especially sensitive to this question. And even more so because I know how much extra work we caused our hotel hosts in Fairbanks last month when Aurora and Borealis had to be with us the 6 nights I was out-patient after my surgery.

So, my attitude is: that pet policy as worded does permit your two to stay with you. I would not let them off the hook - that logical "or" means that you're in like Flynn - but I would be overly-solicitous of whoever is working the front desk upon your check-in, and I would make sure to be more than normally generous with the cleaning staff, most especially your first morning. The experience that Hyatt has with you can redound to all future travelers.

More specifically, I would check in while your pooches are still outside, telling your host that, per their written policy, you have two dogs whose combined weight is under 75 pounds. No need to elaborate.

More than the weight, might be the attitude of your pets. Give the hotel no reason to enforce their policy and for the most part everybody will be happy.

Don't leave your dogs alone in the room, and be gratious in your own attitude, and they will have no reason to question your pets.

I remember going to one motel, and noticing they had a "no dogs" sign in the office window. When I asked for them to refer us to a pet friendly area motel they mentioned that they had 20 empty rooms that night, and our dog was most welcome.

Tell everybody your Lab's name is Elon. Bet he gets the VIP treatment.

More than the weight, might be the attitude of your pets. Give the hotel no reason to enforce their policy and for the most part everybody will be happy.

Don't leave your dogs alone in the room, and be gratious in your own attitude, and they will have no reason to question your pets.

I remember going to one motel, and noticing they had a "no dogs" sign in the office window. When I asked for them to refer us to a pet friendly area motel they mentioned that they had 20 empty rooms that night, and our dog was most welcome.

Tell everybody your Lab's name is Elon. Bet he gets the VIP treatment.

Thanks for the advice. That's the way we behave in any case.
These dogs could not be better. My lab has a face and demeanor that makes hearts melt and the Cockpoo is a dream. We'll be the same:)

- - - Updated - - -

...unless they have a pet scale like the vet uses, how do they know the weight of your Lab???

That's exactly what I was thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

More specifically, I would check in while your pooches are still outside, telling your host that, per their written policy, you have two dogs whose combined weight is under 75 pounds. No need to elaborate.

Very good advice.