Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Merica - How American? (American Made Cars)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Remember that Tesla is still very much an outsider upstart when it comes to traditional auto magazines. And Tesla doesn't lavish magazines with advertising money.

It is also possible that a large percentage of the value of the car is in the battery cells which are (currently) imported.

Personally, I think it is as American as any other car out there...

It's not only the final point of manufacture, but also the source of components. For example, my Sonata is built in Alabama, but its domestic content is only rated at 40%. I think the sheetmetal used for the body is imported from Korea, and stamped on-site. If they sourced the sheet steel domestically, I'm sure the percentage would be MUCH higher. Likewise, the Panasonic batteries, currently sourced from Japan, presumably, probably bring down the S' domestic content score.

Once the Gigafactory gets up and running, that should boost the domestic content score considerably.

Tesla has so much foreign (non-North American) content that it doesn't qualify under NAFTA and I had to pay import duties when I purchased mine in Canada. I believe that foreign content is mainly the Panasonic cells used in the making of the battery pack.

Thus the need of the GigaFactory, to start producing cells here with partnership from Panasonic. Save on parts import tax. More padding to investors. Price will still remain the same.

Giving what "Status" Tesla is aiming for, I double you will see significant price drop on the Model S. I think the 70D is as best it can get from a pricing point perspective, even when the battery get made here at the Giga Factory. They will try to price it in the league of BMW 5 series - 7 series and Mercedes E class - S Class price point.

They might, however add more thing as standard. Hoping rear cup holders :) or little things that are missing now.

Tesla has so much foreign (non-North American) content that it doesn't qualify under NAFTA and I had to pay import duties when I purchased mine in Canada. I believe that foreign content is mainly the Panasonic cells used in the making of the battery pack.

Correct. There is a 6.1% duty for non-NAFTA vehicles, and the Model S is subject to that in Canada. It is thus considered to have LESS THAN 55% content from Canada, the US, or Mexico. It is in large part a Japanese car. Until, that is, the Gigafactory opens.

Note that Tesla has decided to make the U.S.-bound Model S a car which cannot be imported to Canada. So the used car market in Canada is a very small one compared to that in the United States. Only cars built to be sold in Canada can ever be sold in Canada.

I'm looking forward to the Gigafactory opening, the Model S being deemed a North-American made car, and the cost dropping in Canada.