Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in showrooms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the hoopla about ordering sight unseen, I thought the sales centers would get actual cars when ordering goes live. Inprobable that they would actually expect you to commit to something you have never even seen much less driven. Did they do this on the roadsters?

Did they do this on the roadsters?

Yes. Quite a few of the first buyers paid upfront for a car they hadn't seen yet, not even knowing if the company would stay in business - but believing in the vision. Without them, there would likely be no Tesla today. (And a few of them are here on this forum.)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, we know where to get non-mule shots come September, right Bonnie?

Bonnie is our "early warning system"...

I think I'm washing my hair that night. :)

My understanding is that Tesla has built a sizable amount of X production candidate vehicles that they've been using for testing (Elon has indicated that Tesla has chosen to do a more extensive testing of this candidate fleet than occurred with the Model S, and I believe this also meant more candidate vehicles with the X, though I'm not sure this was explicitly stated). Perhaps some of these vehicles will make their way to stores around the time deliveries begin or even a bit before.

In all seriousness, depending on how life works out at whatever point in time I take delivery, I'll probably take a road trip & visit family and friends. I'll post my route as I stop at different superchargers, so if people want to come see an early X, I'm open.

That's assuming, of course, that they're still fairly rare. If not, you'll have seen as much as you want to see. :)

They'll likely end up with some Model X for showrooms when they start manufacturing them based on old reservation deposits and some people end up not being able to actually pay for the whole thing leaving Tesla stuck with the car. I've been told this is where a lot of the loaners and new inventory S come from.

They'll likely end up with some Model X for showrooms when they start manufacturing them based on old reservation deposits and some people end up not being able to actually pay for the whole thing leaving Tesla stuck with the car. I've been told this is where a lot of the loaners and new inventory S come from.

Indeed. Remember the old, "priced like a comparably equipped Model S"? And then, "priced in the single digit % above a Model S" ?
(for the AWD we figured) ? That was before a couple of price increases, intro of the D, and lots of indications, at least speculations of a vast array of new stuff on the X. I hope they keep the price under control and don't assume we'll just pay anything. Seriously. I, of course, would sell my house to get one. Half kidding

and Bonnie, tho we love you for your #0002
you know we all love you for YOU. :smile:

Last edited:
They might also put some beta cars in showrooms. I think they might have done that with the S, briefly.

Indeed. Remember the old, "priced like a comparably equipped Model S"? And then, "priced in the single digit % above a Model S" ?
(for the AWD we figured) ? That was before a couple of price increases, intro of the D, and lots of indications, at least speculations of a vast array of new stuff on the X. I hope they keep the price under control and don't assume we'll just pay anything. Seriously. I, of course, would sell my house to get one. Half kidding

and Bonnie, tho we love you for your #0002
you know we all love you for YOU. :smile:

Hey, I just sold my house (June 10th) so I can buy a Model-X! And a really nice mountain bike. I've got the bike, waiting for the X.