Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to New York city - trip planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finished planning the family trip to New York city.
The supercharger stops look like:

Buffalo - lunch

Brennan's Bowery Bar
Clarence Mall
4401 Transit Rd
Buffalo, NY 14221

Thread: Buffalo Supercharger Updates - Page 33

Syracuse
Dunkin' Donuts
1075 7th North St
Hess
Liverpool, NY 13088

Thread: Syracuse Supercharger Updates - Page 17

Albany - snack
The Cheesecake Factory
Colonie Center
131 Wolf Rd
Albany, NY 12205

Thread: NY: Albany Supercharger Updates - Page 18

Newburgh - stone oven pizza
Cosimo's On Union
1217 NY-300
Newburgh, NY 12550

Thread: Supercharger - Newburgh, NY - Page 10

Wow, we're starting to have options. Well, if we venture into the USA at least.

Options are important, I think. On my last trip to Chicago, I had it planned out nicely like this, but my wife still complained about having to eat when the car was hungry.

With more charging options, some of this goes away, but unless you want to extend your trip, you really do have to time your charging stops with your "normal" stops. When we would take the ICE, stopping for gas (once each way) was relatively trivial and then we could stop to eat whenever and wherever we wanted to. More Supercharger proliferation will help in this regard.

Here we are, one block from times square. The Tesla made the trip in 12 hours.
Three range charges during meals made the trip seamless, we never waited for charging more than a few minutes.
There were some challenging moments with rain and narrow lanes due to construction, but having driven RV's on our previous road trips, no big worries.

Brilliant car!!!!

You need minimum two full meals and at least one other substantial break to drive the 8 hours and 1000km.
That puts the drive at 10.5 hours at bare minimum.
I made two navigation mistake, and hit construction zones, adding another 40 minutes.

The average speed in the US roads was 72 mph, it was unwise to go any faster, and no one ever passed me.

Back home safe and sound.

We did the reverse trip instead of heading back through Kingston due to starting late in the day (noon) for the 12 hour journey.
Visited the same chargers to/from with similar charge speeds.
Approached by many interested parties, very positive experiences when charging.
Tried different cheesecake on the way back, mango key lime....sublime!

My entire clan have come away confident in our new Tesla.

Charging in Buffalo now. The bar is great, the appetizer of potatoe skins is already on the table, my hot wings are coming up next. I'll post pictures of the Buffalo head (yes stuffed head at the bar)

The meal really helped us moove on, and charge to our next stop...

2015-06-30 11.55.00.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We stayed one block from Times Square. The electronic billboards were 4+ stories high!

2015-07-01 16.19.22.jpg

The Museum of Natural History located across from Central Park was first on our list. The size/scope of the building was befitting a city like NY!
2015-07-01 15.23.54.jpg

Took in a view of the city via the "Top of the Rock" tour. Looking towards the Empire State building in this photo.
2015-07-03 11.22.00.jpg

As sun set on our last day in NY, this photo says it all.
2015-07-01 20.13.53.jpg

The drive home gave me an opportunity to trust the "Tesla-tech" as we finished our last leg into Toronto with just 7% charge remaining. Most of the trip legs we came into superchargers with 10-20%, but on the last leg, and after 20 hours in the car over the span of 4 days, the Tesla didn't let us down once, and we gave it a reward at the end, a long plug in overnight and thanks for a job well done.
2015-07-04 01.27.50.jpg