Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ナビゲーション Navigation (Beta)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, we received the update to allow Navigation (BETA) here in Japan. I've tried this morning on the way to work and it seems to be OK.
Club members here in Japan please provide your usage issues etc...

The beta was over. I was participating and reported about 38 bugs in one month. The most critical bugs you'll need to be aware:

It will ignore traffic signs esp. No turn right and No U turn.
It doesn't announce highway exit names. Instead it will say bear left in xxx meters.
No way to tell the nav not to use highways or toll roads. In my case it always tries to take Shuto Expressway for 900 meter trip, causing me to pay 500 yen.

BTW I'll move navigation related comments to this thread tomorrow.

These sound like fairly big problems considering how long this nav has taken to arrive :(

I finally got the s/w update message at 3 a.m. thismorning, and updated now, so I guess I will try nav today. I don't have a long / highway drive planned any time too soon but maybe this is a good excuse to get out and enjoy some onsen in the rain at Minami-Ashigara :)

tsla - 1.jpg

Sure enough it was nice weather for a bit of driving among the trees, rain and mist...

But back on topic: I found the navi was usable, and maybe even a little better than I expected after reading some other comments about it.

These are the problems I had though:

- Navi couldn't find my home address using Romaji no matter what order I typed it. It works fine in Google Maps. Ended up using the "previous charging location" at my house to set the navi... (Eventually discovered I can write kanji onto the screen and enter an address that way)

- Once on the outbound journey (and again coming home) the car navi directed me onto very narrow roads that are barely drivable in Model S. These are not roads Google Maps navigation normally selects (since I drive this same route semi-regularly and have relied always on Google Maps while Tesla has not been working).

- There is some oddity that happened a few times where the voice announcement says "turn right" but it's clear from the map (or my knowledge of the streets) that really I should turn left. This seems to happen when there is a very small side street just before. I will post a photo in a moment to demonstrate one place where this happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the "screenshot" of weird turn instructions.
tsla - 1 (1).jpg

Justin,

After your car has sat at home a few nights, the navi will ask you if you're at home. Just select yes. I'm guessing it will do the same for work.

I've noticed the navi will say turn right (or left) when the road curves one way or the other. Did it say turn left after that curve? Just curious.

I don't like the choice of roads sometimes myself. I expect it's being worked on. I drive slowly when I'm in unfamiliar territory. I take roads I know when I can.

- - - Updated - - -

Susteki,
Yeah, first phase and beta have different meanings. Since all our software gets upgraded at some point, it's released in phases. Beta means it's not ready for prime time, but it's ready to try out with a smaller audience to find the major kinks. That beta phase may be long or short depending on the needs of the company and its customers. Since we've all been begging for a navi, we got it sooner rather than later. YMMV

I've noticed the navi will say turn right (or left) when the road curves one way or the other. Did it say turn left after that curve? Just curious.

I'm pretty sure it didn't, or if it did I would have been around the corner already (to the left) before it had told me to go there.

We discovered another source of amusement today. There is a reasonable stretch of straight road near home and while driving about half way along that straight the navi announces "Prepare to continue straight". Happens in both directions, for whatever reason (maybe some change in the road numbering there, but there is nothing obvious to me).

It does that on highways, too. EVERY SA and PA on the highways gets a prepare to continue straight message. I've dealt with it this way: I turn the sound to 1 (or even mute) so I'm not bothered by each message. When it's time to really take a turning action, I'll start listening again. Crude, but it works for me.

It does that on highways, too. EVERY SA and PA on the highways gets a prepare to continue straight message. I've dealt with it this way: I turn the sound to 1 (or even mute) so I'm not bothered by each message. When it's time to really take a turning action, I'll start listening again. Crude, but it works for me.

Yeah, I reported that bug also during the beta (EAP) but Tesla decided not to fix it yet. Try entering one of those SAs - the nav will get very confused, as they don't even have area defined for SA, so the nav thinks the car went out of expressway and give you a wrong route to go back to expressway.

I also reported the bug that if there is a small bend of the road and a turn consecutively, the nav announces both. Sometimes even a straight road causes this bug. For example:

Imgur

The map shows turn right, but the nav kept saying go straight 600m before, 300m before and right before this position. After going like a few meters, the nav said "turn right!" which is very confusing.

Regarding remembering home location, from the latest build you can now long tap your home and name the pin.

Another issue I noticed is the lack of highway CHAdeMO. Then if I use EVSmart to find CHAdeMO, set one in Model S navi with a pin, I might get a goofy route to that location. I guess the issue for that is the input of data. I sent Tesla the NEXCO West CHAdeMO page link. It may take some more time.

If if I can get my lower back in shape, I may drive to Kanto this month. Useful charging info is critical.

Another issue I noticed is the lack of highway CHAdeMO. Then if I use EVSmart to find CHAdeMO, set one in Model S navi with a pin, I might get a goofy route to that location. I guess the issue for that is the input of data. I sent Tesla the NEXCO West CHAdeMO page link. It may take some more time.

If if I can get my lower back in shape, I may drive to Kanto this month. Useful charging info is critical.

The reason, I guess, is that Tesla's nav doesn't seem to have SA and PA defined correctly. So your CHAdeMO chargers are located OUTSIDE of the highway, to Tesla nav. That's why we hear announcements right before every SA and PA.