Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultimate Cheapskate Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well, beyond using Superchargers for daily driving....

How about setting "location based charging" to include the daily setting. Then I could set my home to be 70%, but chargers that are free in the wild to 90%, essentially ensuring I get a full 17kW (1+ days commute) for free, as long as I stay plugged in for about 3 hours. Is there a way to do that or is being that cheap a "manual" thing?

Around here in Charlotte, North Carolina, public charging is an underutilized resource (except at Whole Foods), and is free in about 90% of locations. If I am going to be in a location for an hour or two, it is pretty silly to plug in to add 5-10 miles of range (say 3 kWh) because I am not all that far from home.

I am more worried that people will think the charging stations were "a bad idea" because "nobody uses them" than I am worried about people competing for resources....at least for now.

We have nearly as many public chargers as we have EVs here. There might be 200 EVs in this town and there are at least 100 public chargers. So the chargers are not being used the vast majority of the time.

It isn't that we have too many chargers though. We just have too low a percentage of EVs as registered vehicles in these here parts.

I am surprised how easy it is for me to find an available spot for EV charging at work. 12 stalls, 26 vehicles, and only twice have I not found a space. Meanwhile, I guess I count for this study. I set for 85% and charge both at 30a/200v at work (for three hours) and 12a/120v at home (overnight). I'll get a Nema 14-50 put in later in July, but so far, it hasn't been a problem.

I'm with you on the idea. Just sunday night I charged to 50% because I was going to a work location with a J1772. After I got to work, I bumped the % to 93.

A flipside of course is that at work I charged when the sun was shining. It was unusually cool and NC has a decent amount of solar (including my house which was dumping back to the grid yesterday all day). So my cheapy side fit with the whole solar - EV thing.

In my parts, we still have more infrastructure than cars but nothing like Charlotte. I have 2 free chademos in town (not counting the Nissan dealer) - one 4 miles from my house. We have 50+ free J1772s including McDs, govt buildings, parking garages etc.

I road tripped to Charlotte and 2 miles from the Supercharger is a new free Chademo. I went there in case the restaurant situation was better (it wasn't on a Sunday morning - but is usually).

The future should be workplace charging off solar. We would then want to charge just enough to get to work at night if needed at all. So the whole percentage thing based on location makes sense long term as does allowing less than 50% (I would have done 30 or so on sunday since work is 13 miles away)

The future should be workplace charging off solar. We would then want to charge just enough to get to work at night if needed at all. So the whole percentage thing based on location makes sense long term as does allowing less than 50% (I would have done 30 or so on sunday since work is 13 miles away)

My employer has 36 solar powered Level 2 chargers. Hopefully I'll be using one of them in the coming months!

It might be easier for you down in NC, here all the free chargers are very often occupied. Even the paid charger in my office parking lot is occupied a lot of the time (seems like me and a Volt driver are the primary users).