Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

reset or reboot the interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been answered before, but the search function here does not work very well (at least for me!).

Driving down the road today and Slacker had a problem loading the next track....then the entire console froze. I could not do anything from the touch screen.
Thanks to this forum, I knew that holding down both "wheels" on the steering wheel will reboot the console. However, I did not know if I could do that as I was driving, so I waited until I could park on the side of the road and did it then.

As expected, the reboot fixed everything.

Soooo- Can you reboot the console while driving?

Thanks ,

Mike

I've rebooted the center console while driving many times. It is safe.
The left display will continue to show your speed, and the turn signals, wipers, etc will all work.

I guess the definition of "safe" is how comfortable you are with doing it.
From a purely mechanical viewpoint, it is safe.

Last edited:
Even rebooting the instrument panel (hold both buttons above the scroll wheels for 10 seconds) can be done while driving. You obviously lose important stuff like your speed readout so I wouldn't go so far as to call it "safe," but depending on circumstances it's fine to do while moving. Critical stuff like steering, acceleration, brakes, etc. is done by a separate system which presumably is built to the standards of a safety-critical system.

When that happened to me I rang Tesla and they asked that I park the car and hold my foot on the brake before doing the reset.

BTW, they also suggested doing a reset about once a month, needed or not. Anyone heard of that before?