Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon After market Spoiler Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So my Tesla didn't come with a spoiler... and the OEM one is kind of expensive for a thin piece of what looks like fancy plastic.

So, I bought this one: Amazon.com: Jcsportline Jc-xp228-1 Trunk Boot Spoiler Carbon Fiber Lip Wing Fit for Tesla Model S Black: Automotive

Ordered it on a Monday, got it by Friday. From China

Other than being more shiny than OEM, it's a pretty good looking spoiler.

I took pics of it vs. OEM, along with a tape measure to make sure my install was as exact as possible. (I get my car back tonight, and will install this week).

So far from what I can tell, seems like a decent product!

IMG_2716.JPG
IMG_2746.JPG
IMG_2745.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2718.JPG
    IMG_2718.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3,490
  • IMG_2719.JPG
    IMG_2719.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,458
  • IMG_2721.JPG
    IMG_2721.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,434
  • IMG_2731.JPG
    IMG_2731.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,315
  • IMG_2732.JPG
    IMG_2732.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3,259
  • IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 3,161
  • IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 3,149
  • IMG_2743.JPG
    IMG_2743.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,089
  • IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,071
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,053
Reactions: UnbeknownstToAll
Awesome!!!!! The gloss look is SSSSOOOOOO much better looking that the matte look of the stock spoiler.

I ordered mine on the 12th. Still haven't received it. No tracking info. Delivery window is from the 22nd through today. Kinda makes me think it's not coming from Canada. I can't install mine until I peel the dip anyways.

SabrToothSqrl it looks great! I have the same car as you and the spoiler from Amazon sitting in my garage.
How will you prep your car? Do you plan to remove any wax where it will stick? Also do you plan to apply additional 3M tape?

Usually I just use a bit of Windex and a light cloth. However that's not advice and you do so at your own risk of mucking it up!

I may use the alcohol swabs as well. I'll get more pics tonight, however the 3M tape is already applied before shipping. I don't know why they include extra, maybe if you mess it up?

I will leave the tape in place, (so it's not sticky), and place it on the trunk lid while I measure it up and align it. Then I'll use some blue painters tape to mark where it should be side to side and front to back with tape and maybe a sharpie (on the tape).

Then I'll peel the tape and stick it in place using the blue painters tape as my guide.

At least that's the plan. I'm sure my impatience combined with being OCD about my cars will take over and I'll scratch, break, or screw something up, right?!

FYI; the blue car in the photos is a loaner, mine is black :)

Sorry for the oddly formatted pics, apparently my iPhone takes huge photos.

I plasti-dipped my 19s black, I haven't decided if I'll dip the spoiler yet. I kind of like the glossy carbon fiber look.

Last edited:
I really like the large pictures. It allows me to zoom in and not loose the details. I was told by others to have a second person help to make the process easier.

For the look, I suggest keeping the original glossy CF. From what I read, only the Signature P models had a glossy finish. But I have not seen it in person.

Looking forward to the final pictures and how you did it.

Good luck!

The install.

Sorry for the delay, been busy with a new Dual Source Heat Pump, after the dog destroyed my A/C unit. (but that's another story).

I unwrapped the spoiler, and laid it on the back, lining it up with the measurements of the OEM one and to my best ability. I marked the edges left/right and center with blue masking tape, then cleaned up the trunk where it's going to stick. Cleaned the trunk lid with windex and microfiber cloth. Applied the 'adhesion promoter' which isn't an alcohol swab, it's actual glue type stuff. then, using the blue tape, dropped it in place, once in place i pushed down it on area by area to get it to stick to the lid. Then I didn't drive it for about 2 days due to other projects and I wanted to let the sticky stuff stick. I'm pretty happy with the fit, there is a fingernail gap around most of it, but I think that's normal. I can see under the one side JUST a hair, but it's still stuck on there after a 400 mile road trip this weekend. I'll run it through the car wash tonight, after about 4 days of letting it sit to adhere better. It does look slick, and I have no idea the impact on wH/mile, other than I was doing 80 on the turnpike w/the cruise and A/C on and still managing under 300 wH/mile! No idea how that works! I usually average 350-400 lol. I'm sure it's a fluke as this spoiler is just lip gloss. sexy, but not the center of attention!
IMG_2808.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG
IMG_2812.JPG
IMG_2813.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG
IMG_2816.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG

Reactions: UnbeknownstToAll
thanks. Ohh and I plugged into 120, since I don't have a 14-50 in my shop (no real need to), and yea... I'll never do that again. What a waste of time! I knew it was going to sit for at least a day or two, so I figured Hey, I'll give 120 a try!

unlimited pass...

I do it by hand as well when I can. I can't use my water at home - hard water + softener, even with two filters leaves spots... and i mean it's DESTROYED my Tahoe's paint. Ruined.

I stress so little about the car getting dirty now, just drive through the wash on my way home :) I even hand dry it some times. It's touch-less, so it's just a pressure washer. Does a pretty good job! I've gone from water that ruined my paint, to water that leaves it 99% spot free, and the spots (unlike my water) come off.

I had to pay $1200 to remove the spots from my tahoe, but at the time didn't know what they were from... so they are back.

Last edited:
I got a couple of water spots on the hood from my last wash as well. It's the smooth kind that you can't feel with your fingers. According the car detailing sites the mineral from hard water has etched into the clearcoat. Maquiar's has this product called scratch-X that can remove it. I tried it on a spot and minimized it, but I can still see it at certain light angles. I might need a little more elbow grease to remove it.

Besides the shape? The first one there looks like it has points on the back and the OP looks more like the stock Tesla one.

The second one is the shape of the OEM spoiler. The first one has added material at each end.