Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to NOT curb rash 21" rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to find the average number of right turns made in a day by drivers in the USA and couldn't find it, so I will work from a data point of one.

I make about 20 right turns a day, or say roughly 6500 right turns a year (removing work travel/vacation days where the car is parked). 6500!
I just rashed my right rear 21" grey rim yesterday.:cursing: I was turning from a one-way street with 3 narrow lanes into a shopping center driveway - pretty tight quarters. After I parked and looked at the concrete where I rashed, I could see it was completely black from tire transfer over time.

Can anyone execute a maneuver that many times consistently and without error? Is it even possible? Is it really a matter of saying that "there are those who have rashed their rims and those that will". What are your thoughts?

Sorry this happened, I know it sucks!

I think you are probably right that it is inevitable, particularly for the passenger side rear. I actually just mounted rim protectors this past weekend, to try to help avoid exactly this. I'm still trying to decide if I like the look...

I will say that I've have really great luck with rim repair in the past. I had a (non-tesla) wheel badly damaged by a curb. The shop did a stunning job. I would have thought it impossible to fix it as well as they did. You can always look into something like that in your area.

Have had my 21" Grey rims for 6 months now.
Have curbed them 3 times.
Now the good news. 1- I have a great and relatively inexpensive mobile Wheel repair guy.
And 2- the Rashes occurred during the 1st 4 months of ownership. Model S is by far the biggest car I have ever driven....so maybe the learning curve is starting to flatten?

The passenger rear is the hardest one to keep pristine. Twice already I haven't rashed my 19", but I hopped the curb. Both times were leaving the same grocery store. I have gotten used to not caring in my ICE as my 17" wheels on the 4Runner could just run over anything. I'm trying harder to make wider turns which brings in the fear of cutting slightly into the second perpendicular lane with the nose of the Model S. Back to your question, I do not think it is possible with an average of 6500 right turns just from commuting to avoid rash 100% of the time. Incidentally, this is also why I am not bothering to get my wheels coated with cQuartz Finest b/c I'm sure I'll rash my wheels as some point.

It's unavoidable if you live in urban area. Tesla designed these wheels to look good, without any type of protection.

With that said, next time you need tire replacement, ask for tires with rim protection feature. These tires have more "meat" around the rim to act like bumpers for your rim, so it offers SOME protection against certain type of curb rash (like parallel parking).

Do your tires have rim protectors? - Tire Rack Team Blog | Tire Rack

I think in the beginning you will have to get use to judging your distance when parking or turning into a tight narrow road with curbs on both sides. I have not had any rash in the last 6 months but I'm very careful when parking or getting into tight spaces. I have been repairing my rims myself and it is very easy to do and costs almost nothing.

I think in the beginning you will have to get use to judging your distance when parking or turning into a tight narrow road with curbs on both sides. I have not had any rash in the last 6 months but I'm very careful when parking or getting into tight spaces. I have been repairing my rims myself and it is very easy to do and costs almost nothing.

Can you start a new thread about how to do this and the materials you use? Thanks.

I just did another bad rash yesterday after 45K miles. Was driving a little hard and not paying enough attention to an unexpected curb in an odd parking lot. Right rear again, which is the worst.

many 19" wheels have rash too. You just don't notice them as much as the wheels are well kind of uninteresting (just my opinion).

I don't really worry anymore about the rash in terms of looks, just worry about the alignment.

I think it is almost impossible to completely avoid wheel rash. The car is big and you cannot see the fenders/edges of the car. The good news is that our local service center gave us the name of a guy that can fix it for a reasonable price. My old Toyota 4runner is much easier to park.

Well, I have an appointment with the rim shop for Wednesday at 8 am. It was originally going to be for my Volt, but Model S just beat the Volt for the slot. The Volt will have its turn on 7/15.

I wonder if the rim place has a punch card program. Like buy 9 rim fixes get the 10th free. Maybe I can get on some sort of pre-paid discount or annual "unlimited" program...lol. Seriously, I'm probably going to need it.

I tried to find the average number of right turns made in a day by drivers in the USA and couldn't find it, so I will work from a data point of one.

I make about 20 right turns a day, or say roughly 6500 right turns a year (removing work travel/vacation days where the car is parked). 6500!
I just rashed my right rear 21" grey rim yesterday.:cursing: I was turning from a one-way street with 3 narrow lanes into a shopping center driveway - pretty tight quarters. After I parked and looked at the concrete where I rashed, I could see it was completely black from tire transfer over time.

Can anyone execute a maneuver that many times consistently and without error? Is it even possible? Is it really a matter of saying that "there are those who have rashed their rims and those that will". What are your thoughts?

In my experience, no:) Two days after having my 21s re-powder coated I scraped a curb. I'm giving up.