Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read some posts about supercharge rates of a 60kWh MS that dont seem to match what my experience has been. So I went to the St. Lucie, Fl supercharging station this weekend and gathered the following data.

For those who dont like data, here are the results:

105 kW peak charge rate (330a, 319v)
160 miles in 53 minutes (limited to 90% charge)
series A battery (see attached picture)
vin 10515

The data and pictures for verification are attached. Sorry for the lame spreadsheet with no fancy charts, but my good computer software is at work....

This was a 40kWh recently changed to a 60kWh vehicle.

Hopefully this helps clear some of the confusion that I had, for all of those people looking at that nice list of 60 kWh cars on the pre-owned list.....

Attachments

• Battery Label.jpg
    Battery Label.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 439
  • Charge Display.jpg
    Charge Display.jpg
    898.3 KB · Views: 395
  • MS 60kWh Supercharge.xls
    10.5 KB · Views: 71
Charge times will vary due to tempetature as well. Just got back from 6,500 mile road trip circleing the west coast and back to wisconsin. When It was extra hot out, the car would back down charge speeds or taper earlier as cooling of the pack could not keep up. Don't get this problem here in Wisconsin ;)

Heres some more "information" for ya. And if anyone can provide me a 70D for 2 days, and I dont even need to drive it, just want to video the charging process from 10% to 80%, please let me know!

BTW, 105kW charge rate for a 60kWh pack is correct. Only the B packs and newer 85's and the new 70D's can charge faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty normal to me. 105 kW is the maximum for a 60, in my experience. 53 minutes to 90% seems about right, and it looks like it only took 22-23 minutes to get to 50%. I'd say it's working correctly. What did you read that doesn't match up?

I had seen some recent videos comparing 85s to 60's that showed a much different 60 charge rate. I had also read some recent threads taking about how A series batteries were limited to 90kW charge rates. I had just recently bought this 60 (preowned) and was concerned after reading this and verifying i had a A series battery, that I went and ran my own test

That is a really cool video, I had not seen that before, thanks!

This is chart of the data I collected.

I collected similar data -- but made a slightly different chart that I posted previously (and again for reference).

The data was collected during my first 2 supercharges in Feb 2014, and the chart came in very useful on our ~4500 mile road trip last summer -- and has proved very accurate (I've supercharged more than 50 times now). Only time its not accurate is if I am the 2nd car on a pair charger (which only happened twice…).

The table I did is a grid -- match up your starting and target ending RM numbers and it will tell you how many minutes it should take. Note that a 100% charge is the time it takes to turn to~99-100%, not when the car says "charging complete" -- if it does a balance cycle, it will take longer (we had one take >30 min, but that time can vary)...

View attachment Supercharging Table - 60kWh.pdf

I had seen some recent videos comparing 85s to 60's that showed a much different 60 charge rate. I had also read some recent threads taking about how A series batteries were limited to 90kW charge rates. I had just recently bought this 60 (preowned) and was concerned after reading this and verifying i had a A series battery, that I went and ran my own test

Certainly the 90 kW A-series thing is specific to 85 kWh packs. By the time the first 60 was made, Tesla had already started delivering 85 kWh B packs.