Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
What things do owners who have had their cars for awhile wish Tesla would upgrade (within the realm of what's possible with a firmware update and their limited engineering sources directed towards the Roadster given Model S development).

I'd simply like to have the speed shown in the gray LCD screen below the speedometer since I'm over 6 feet tall and can't see the top of the speedometer anyway.

Last edited:
Ditto to the above - can we have speed on the LCD so that taller drivers know how fast they are going! I know that the speed is also on the tough screen, but in a RHD car its not visible without taking you hand off the wheel. If its not possible to put speed on the LCD (selected perhaps by the button used to scroll through odometer etc) the could we have the speed on the touchscreen on the LHS for RHD cars.

On a similar vein the amps display is pointless as it changes so fast. Perhaps replace this with kW for the last mile driven?

I totally agree; it would be GREAT to have the speed on the LCD display.

It doesn't matter if it's LHD or RHD, one of your hands is going to block the touchscreen. Plus if you don't have the right screen up you can't see your speed; might be nice to use one of the other screens once in a while.

Other than that, it would be nice to be able to set the charge mode more easily. If you set the charge mode and then get out of the car and open the charge port, it resets to default. So you have to climb back into the car again (of course this would be trivial if it wasn't slightly acrobatic). Also it seems you can't adjust charge current in many modes, such as when you aren't charging.

I'm wondering if you really need the estimated range on that LCD display at all since it's easily accessible on the VDS. Maybe the firmware could allow you to cycle that out and put the speed in big numbers that take up the entire height of the LCD display. Can't imagine that would be that hard to do.

I'd also like, in the VDS, to see the temps (motor, pem, battery) in *C
Power up HVAC at {time} - allow hvac whilst on charge.

+1 for actual temps (especially because left-most cold battery is like 70F or something, so I can't tell what's going on in the winter)
+1 for HVAC (I assume you mean both A/C and heat) while plugged in. Keeping the cabin even at 50F while it's 15F outside would be nice. Or something similar to "remote start" When I can power up the HVAC remotely prior to getting in the car.

VDS should have option to display last *40* miles of whpm history since that's what's used to estimate range.
Permanent place for outside temperature (e.g. a spot for it no matter which VDS screen I'm on)

I'd also like, in the VDS, to see the temps (motor, pem, battery) in *C

If your VDS is set to debug output mode, then it does show temps in *C. There is a way to do this, but it requires knowing the special Tesla VDS password. Next time you're in the shop, ask your friendly Tesla Ranger to set debug mode, and hopefully he'll set it up for you.

Regarding the touch screen, it would be nice if the buttons didn't move when you release the parking brake. Am I the only one with this problem? But when I get in my car, I put my foot on the brake, put the transmission in reverse, release the parking brake, then reach for the HomeLink button. But just as I do, the touch screen reacts to the parking brake release, and I miss. It just seems like bad design to have buttons move around from place to place. Not very "Apple-like"

If there is a feature you'd like on the Roadster, the customer rep I e-mail said to e-mail it to them and they can pass it along to the Roadster team. I think the speed on the LCD screen is something easy so the more people who send an e-mail, the more likely it is to happen. Thanks.

kgb: That does seem strange. I never use the parking brake but know how everything shifts around after the parking break is applied and taken off. There are many user interface issues in the car but most of them are with the Alpine unit.

Last edited:
There are many user interface issues in the car but most of them are with the Alpine unit.

Regarding the Alpine, I use 2 sources most commonly. The bluetooth and the HD Radio. It would be nice if the order of sources could be a user preference. When I want to switch sources, pressing the scroll button is just one more time my eyes have to be off the road.

Regarding the touch screen, it would be nice if the buttons didn't move when you release the parking brake. Am I the only one with this problem? But when I get in my car, I put my foot on the brake, put the transmission in reverse, release the parking brake, then reach for the HomeLink button. But just as I do, the touch screen reacts to the parking brake release, and I miss. It just seems like bad design to have buttons move around from place to place. Not very "Apple-like"

I have other complaints regarding my use of the HomeLink. I would like a preference in which I could turn off alarms on the VDS. Sometimes, I like to reach into the car and press the HomeLink button, but as soon as I open the door, I get the "Door Open with Key in Ignition" alarm... even though the parking brake is engaged. Then I have to clear that alarm and then figure out in which of the 2 locations the HomeLink button is. Seriously, can I just have a chime and a dashboard light. And I'd like the HomeLink button in the same place each time.

Also, I would like to activate the Valet mode before pulling into the valet area. I feel like a jerk activating the parking brake and then covering my fingers as I put in the code. The alternative is to stop the car 100 yards from the valet, activating the brake and then entering the code. I suggest that the valet activation button be available without the parking brake activated. That way, as I am slowly pulling up to valet, I can activate the valet mode and enter my code... before the valet guy is looking over my shoulder.

+1 for all of these great suggestions. And oldie but a goodie is to increase the contrast because when it's sunny out the screen can't be seen for the glare and a night screen would be nice too.

I have other complaints regarding my use of the HomeLink. I would like a preference in which I could turn off alarms on the VDS. Sometimes, I like to reach into the car and press the HomeLink button, but as soon as I open the door, I get the "Door Open with Key in Ignition" alarm... even though the parking brake is engaged. Then I have to clear that alarm and then figure out in which of the 2 locations the HomeLink button is. Seriously, can I just have a chime and a dashboard light. And I'd like the HomeLink button in the same place each time.

Also, I would like to activate the Valet mode before pulling into the valet area. I feel like a jerk activating the parking brake and then covering my fingers as I put in the code. The alternative is to stop the car 100 yards from the valet, activating the brake and then entering the code. I suggest that the valet activation button be available without the parking brake activated. That way, as I am slowly pulling up to valet, I can activate the valet mode and enter my code... before the valet guy is looking over my shoulder.

Perhaps valet mode should remember the code and be activated automatically when Park is pressed and held for a few seconds.

I haven't used valet mode yet but it seems strange that you have to type your pin to activate it. You would think activating valet mode would just require hitting the button then maybe a confirm button as well without the pin. To get out of valet mode of course, you'd need your pin. It should be on the main drive screen as well as was stated.

I haven't used valet mode yet but it seems strange that you have to type your pin to activate it. You would think activating valet mode would just require hitting the button then maybe a confirm button as well without the pin. To get out of valet mode of course, you'd need your pin. It should be on the main drive screen as well as was stated.

That's probably so you can't forget your PIN and then activate it.

I would like some charging options... More amp selections such as 30A which is going to be common due to all the J1772 sites which will max at 30A. 24A slows things down.

Also, there has been a lot of discussion regarding the need to plug the roadster in to cool the battery. I've noticed that when charging the car seems to aggressively cool (or heat) the battery at the start of a charge cycle. Cooling the battery is important for its longevity. But charging on a TOU meter means not cooling the battery until late at night. I would like to see a "cool the battery whenever plugged in" option. That way when I get home from a day of driving, the battery will cool down as soon as I get home and then fully charge when the power rates go down.

The maximum current you can draw from a 30A J1772 EVSE is 24A (80%). The EVSE tells your car what is the maximum current it can draw from it. Your Tesla allows you to select a lower rate if you want.

Actually the Coulomb stations are 30A delivered to the car. The problem is that the currently available adapter is a J1772 to NEMA 1450. When this is used with current mobile connector the car will only see the signal from the UMC thus you need to select 24A since 32A will overload the Coulomb. 30 amps is slow enough without being limited to 24.

Actually the Coulomb stations are 30A delivered to the car. The problem is that the currently available adapter is a J1772 to NEMA 1450. When this is used with current mobile connector the car will only see the signal from the UMC thus you need to select 24A since 32A will overload the Coulomb. 30 amps is slow enough without being limited to 24.

Not so. If you read the Coulomb install specifications, they require a 40A breaker and are rated for 30A continous service.

http://www.coulombtech.com/products-charging-stations.php