Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost 5 Miles of capacity in 24hr?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 60 has consistently charged to 90% daily, sometimes multiple times a day and this has been ranging in the 175-177 mi range @ 90%. I had my speedo display replaced on Friday and updates software to the latest 6.2. On my first nightly 90% charge, I hit 176 mi and all was good. Last night I charged to 90% (from 48 mi) and it topped off at 171. That seems a pretty extreme drop in 1 day. Any ideas? It has been extremely hot for the area (90's).

60 owner here - in june, i noticed that after five months of getting charged to 177 RM, without having changed the slider it now stops at 176, 175, and once last week 172.

have recently been driving it farther and emptying the "tank" a lot deeper... wonder if that is making a difference.

I have started to gain some of that mileage back. Very much like Kabirakhtar, I have been getting 177-178 and then it has stepped down over the past few months to 175-176 and recently down to 170/171. The latest charges have been up to 173, so I am hoping it is calibrating. One thing I have noticed, after periods of sitting where there is a large vampire drain (long time in the heat or leaving for days at an airport), that seems to cause this lowering in the final charge. I almost wonder if there are losses that the calibration mechanism isn't accounting for which is throwing the calculation off.

Learn your car.... these mileage figures are at best a guess (based on your driving habits, etc). If there is a change in the habits or software update, you will notice a difference in this 'guess' because the algorithm resets. Over time, it migrates to the numbers you are used to as more driving/charging takes place.

Got a 40 kWh and lost 8 miles on June 7th after a software update. When fully charged, I had a range of 141 and it dropped to 133. This is really annoying since Tesla told me this battery would have a slower degradation rate! I had 146 miles when I received it on May 2013.

My P85D went from 253 -> 250 on the most recent software update.

I am wondering if everyone's range dropped in the last update? The number going down of course does not necessarily mean actual lost range if it's just a change in how the number is calculated.

My car has been plugged in for the last week and every 3 days it wakes up and charges for an additional 9 miles. Someone suggested that was not true vampire, but needed cooling. Is it possible car charged to same amount and then used some of that charge to cool the car? You mentioned temps in the 90s...

Got a 40 kWh and lost 8 miles on June 7th after a software update. When fully charged, I had a range of 141 and it dropped to 133. This is really annoying since Tesla told me this battery would have a slower degradation rate! I had 146 miles when I received it on May 2013.
I also have a 40kWh and my loss is now up to around 7 miles after the last update a few weeks ago. My update was from 101.36.2 to 2.4.239 version of 6.2. Service center has ticket open with engineering, but no response so far. The reported range seems to be accurate. I usually use Ideal and drive at 260Wh/mi, and my decrease of estimated ideal range matches the miles driven. Either the previous firmware masked degradation, or the capacity calculation is off in the new firmware.

I had started gaining back mileage and was up to 174/175 @ 90% charge until yesterday. I drove about 120 miles with pretty average Wh/mi (~300) and left the car with about 40 miles. 90% charge last night only went to 168?!?!? What the heck? I lost 7 miles in one day?